Author Topic: cheap but good sound card  (Read 3839 times)

Offline NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
cheap but good sound card
« on: August 08, 2015, 01:12:56 am »
I'm looking for a cheap but good sound card to use as a S/PDIF input device. I'm looking for one that supports 24bit/192kHz S/PDIF in, preferably supporting both fiber and coax input (I only plan to use one at a time), and can be either USB or PCIe. Good ALSA support is a must, but good analog performance is merely a bonus.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: cheap but good sound card
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 02:19:23 am »

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 02:39:37 am »
Can't use regular PCI since the only slot on my motherboard is taken.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 04:13:59 am »
Whats the intended application? I'm not sure the Creative cards allow bit perfect IO?

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 04:54:53 am »
Connect the PC to a digitizer. Those digitizers might not necessarily be designed with audio in mind - they could be DC coupled. The applications are quite diverse, ranging from audio quality measurements (as an affordable alternative to an audio band spectrum analyzer) to a general purpose high resolution "PC scope". The fiber link is especially interesting due to the extremely good isolation it provides.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 07:00:05 am »
You might want to consider ADAT, since it uses the same cheap toslink connections but is only used in system synchronous designs so is much easier to go through transparently. Otherwise its back to the "professional" brands of audio interfaces to look for one with wordclock IO on a PCIe card, which with SPDIF puts it in a weird overlap of technology but they do exist.

Cheap wont come into it, but if you go cheap then you'll almost certainly end up with a sample rate convertor hidden in the path somewhere.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 01:01:47 pm »
Id stay well clear of creative shit. Get an asus xonar dx. I run my optical out to my external DAC+AMP. full linux  support etc. very nice cards, cheap.
-- Aussie living in the USA --

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 04:07:29 pm »
I'm only really interested in S/PDIF input since my motherboard, like almost all motherboards made in the last few years, already has S/PDIF output.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 09:52:43 pm »
sorry, didnt realise you needed spdif IN. pretty much cuts out the low end chinese stuff.

i beleive the ht omega fenix (100$ on newegg) does spdif inputs. it uses the cmedia 8828. I think the current linux kernel supports it, not sure youd need to do some more checking.
-- Aussie living in the USA --

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 10:40:45 pm »
It's looking more and more like a DIY USB 2.0 solution might be the way to go, with the added benefit of being able to extend it beyond 24/192 should the need arise. S/PDIF is only specified to 24/192 and thus off the shelf receivers are not available for anything higher, but something like (differential) I2S over CAT5 might work out quite well.

BTW, some exotic audio hardware can do as high as 32/384. While that's unlikely to provide any benefit over 24/192 for ordinary audio applications, I suppose it could come in handy for DIY sonar and SDR applications.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf