Author Topic: China blocking shipping of syringes and needles?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline soFPGTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
China blocking shipping of syringes and needles?
« on: June 30, 2020, 09:21:21 am »
Just got the information from a chinese agency platform that China prohibits export of syringes and needles (even though these were not meant to be used for medical purposes, just to dispense solder paste or flux).

I continued ordering them on ebay (which are shipping from china as well) - any ideas or insights why that is?

Offline soFPGTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: China blocking shipping of syringes and needles?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 09:32:18 am »
Okay, I guess the chinese agency I use probably was (too) honest then if others just continue to sell it because they could have made a small share (they are charging I think 3% service fees).

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 09:55:47 am »
China also limits exporting of high frame rate thermal cameras.
China also limits exporting of rare earth products.
China also limits a lot of things, just like the US.
Except we don't care. If it makes money, the Chinese will sell it. Period.

That doesn't answer the question, thought.

What is the strategic value in syringes and their needles?  They look to me like easy and cheap to make items, with no high tech and no rare materials embedded in them, so why limiting the export for syringes?   :-//

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 04:43:19 pm »
Just got the information from a chinese agency platform that China prohibits export of syringes and needles (even though these were not meant to be used for medical purposes, just to dispense solder paste or flux).

I continued ordering them on ebay (which are shipping from china as well) - any ideas or insights why that is?
Weird. I just ordered syringes from China in April and they came a few weeks ago without issue, aside from coronavirus delays.

Offline MiniWare

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 09:15:10 am »
Needles and syringes are sensitive products in China. The government is afraid that people use needles and syringes to take drugs.
Because China is the country with the most anti-drug efforts in the world, even if we buy needles and syringes in Chinese hospitals and pharmacies, we need a doctor’s prescription.
ADDED BY MOD: Miniware manufacturers account.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 09:37:03 am »
Needles and syringes are sensitive products in China. The government is afraid that people use needles and syringes to take drugs.
Because China is the country with the most anti-drug efforts in the world, even if we buy needles and syringes in Chinese hospitals and pharmacies, we need a doctor’s prescription.
Hah. Switzerland tried that approach (“suppression”) back in the 1980s to curb its burgeoning heroin problem. The result of course was just rampant spread of HIV, as needles became a scarce resource, causing them to be shared. (In the mid 90s, they did a total 180°, flipping to harm reduction policies that include government clinics where addicts can go and get not only fresh needles, but the heroin itself. The result? The number of addicts plummeted, since every visit to the clinic is an opportunity to divert the addict into treatment, and the heroin-related street crime vanished, since the market for street heroin evaporated. The neighborhood I live in was once at the edge of the worst heroin epicenter in Europe in 1994. You wouldn’t have dared go barefoot in the park. Today, it’s full of kids running around.)

BTW I question your claim of China doing the most to eliminate drugs. In terms of money spent, no doubt USA is #1. In terms of harshest punishment, probably the Philippines. In terms of effective policies centered around harm reduction, Portugal (and Switzerland close behind).

Anyhow, though, it doesn’t look to me as though there are any restrictions on the nonsterile syringes and blunt needles used for non-medical applications. Nor would it make sense to restrict those, since there’s no way you can shoot up with a blunt dispensing needle.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 09:41:57 pm »
Just arrived in my doors 100 pcs of 1cc syringes from China, that I use for soldie paste I guess this is fake news

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf