Author Topic: China blocking shipping of syringes and needles?  (Read 291 times)

Offline soFPG

• Regular Contributor
China blocking shipping of syringes and needles?
« on: June 30, 2020, 09:21:21 am »
Just got the information from a chinese agency platform that China prohibits export of syringes and needles (even though these were not meant to be used for medical purposes, just to dispense solder paste or flux).

I continued ordering them on ebay (which are shipping from china as well) - any ideas or insights why that is?

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
Re: China blocking shipping of syringes and needles?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 09:25:54 am »
China also limits exporting of high frame rate thermal cameras.
China also limits exporting of rare earth products.
China also limits a lot of things, just like the US.
Except we don't care. If it makes money, the Chinese will sell it. Period.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, soFPG

Offline soFPG

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 09:32:18 am »
Okay, I guess the chinese agency I use probably was (too) honest then if others just continue to sell it because they could have made a small share (they are charging I think 3% service fees).

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 09:55:47 am »
China also limits exporting of high frame rate thermal cameras.
China also limits exporting of rare earth products.
China also limits a lot of things, just like the US.
Except we don't care. If it makes money, the Chinese will sell it. Period.

That doesn't answer the question, thought.

What is the strategic value in syringes and their needles?  They look to me like easy and cheap to make items, with no high tech and no rare materials embedded in them, so why limiting the export for syringes?   :-//

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 10:33:08 am »
What is the strategic value in syringes and their needles?  They look to me like easy and cheap to make items, with no high tech and no rare materials embedded in them, so why limiting the export for syringes?   :-//

Chinese import/export rules are weird. Put it simple, anything that is not strictly for personal use and falls under personal use quantity are not allowed unless you have an import/export license.
So if you don't have a license, you can't export anything legally. EMS and other express companies will refuse shipment of virtually all items abroad for individuals, and they only take your export items if you have a contract with them and you have the license.

OTOH, there are trade companies with the license illegally shipping small quantities of items abroad that are not manufactured by them, but the government basically intentionally overlooks the fact.
However, if your shipping agent is big enough not to fly under the radar, they will enforce the rule.

China is weird. You need to get the exact jist to work with it.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 04:43:19 pm »
Just got the information from a chinese agency platform that China prohibits export of syringes and needles (even though these were not meant to be used for medical purposes, just to dispense solder paste or flux).

I continued ordering them on ebay (which are shipping from china as well) - any ideas or insights why that is?
Weird. I just ordered syringes from China in April and they came a few weeks ago without issue, aside from coronavirus delays.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf