Author Topic: Crummy Wifi Card Guts  (Read 5745 times)

Offline adnewhouseTopic starter

• Contributor
Crummy Wifi Card Guts
« on: May 15, 2013, 01:08:52 am »
I figured that I might as well post some pics of what I saw when I ripped open my WiFi adapter. The performance really is pretty crummy. The board is not secured in placer and there is not a single bit of shielding even through it's supposed to go near or inside a computer. For the past few months, this card has been sending and receiving corrupted packets as well. For $40 I was expecting more. What do you guys think?

Online westfw

• Super Contributor
Re: Crummy Wifi Card Guts
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 01:26:18 am »
None of the laptop wifi adapters (which are normally separate little cards that talk to the main cpu via an internal USB connection) that I've found from disassembled laptops have any shielding to speak of.

Did it have two external antennas?  The second jack is clearly not actually connected to anything.
If it doesn't work well, then it doesn't work well, but I don't think that the construction is too awful.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 01:33:33 am »
It came with two antennas. As for shielding, it looks as though there is an option for a little metal cover over the main chip-set because of the little slots and removed solder mask.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 01:35:08 am »
Also note the crummy solder rework on the side button.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 02:10:41 am »
doesnt look like rework, thats the only through hole element on this side  + its not that critical, i bet some 12 year old chinese girl solders those at the end of the line
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 08:58:31 pm »
All the wireless cards that I have seen or had always have shields over the main chips. That one looks like it should have as well but for some reason was never fitted. Not only will it leak RF but also get polluted with any stray rf from the computer it is fitted in.

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 09:10:12 pm »
The second connector is connected, there is a visible clean path for the trace to be buried in a inner layer.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 11:40:49 pm »
I'm curious as to how important the the little metal can would be over the chip set? Does it make a huge difference?

Offline lgbeno

• Frequent Contributor
Crummy Wifi Card Guts
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 12:05:11 am »
My experience is the shielding can help a little with receiver performance, it also helps protect your radio from other interference.

With that said for normal use, I don't think it is too critical.  Funny thing is that the little stamped piece of metal is probably just as or more expensive than half of the ic's on that board.  So it gets pulled for cost.

The other thing to note is that some countries, especially Japan require tamper proof shields over radios so you can't swap the oscillator or muck with the circuit.  The pads might just be there for a version of the radio that ships to Japan...

Offline Short Circuit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 12:25:23 am »
None of the laptop wifi adapters (which are normally separate little cards that talk to the main cpu via an internal USB connection) that I've found from disassembled laptops have any shielding to speak of.
Most, if not all, Intel wireless cards have shielding.
Also makes a nice surface for their label.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 12:40:27 am »
The other thing to note is that some countries, especially Japan require tamper proof shields over radios so you can't swap the oscillator or muck with the circuit.

:palm:
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 02:46:44 am »
Yeah this card just got replaced by a nice http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-704-079&ParentOnly=1&IsVirtualParent=1 which is rock solid in stability and has decent drivers for Linux as well.  :)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 05:03:28 am »
I paid 20$ for a TP-LINK WN-821N usb adapter and it's not even nearly as crummy  ??? Looks like you got ripped off, big time.
I now use a Intel 5300AGN that i got for 5 bucks.  >:D

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 09:56:41 pm »
Rosewill will not be getting my business ever again. If anyone wants to avoid this card it is a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166046.

Offline justanothercanuck

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing retro repairs...
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 12:12:52 am »
Rosewill will not be getting my business ever again. If anyone wants to avoid this card it is a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166046.

I bought one of their SATA cards a while back.  Has a Silicon Image 3124 chip on it.  Works great in windows or linux.  :-//
Maintain your old electronics!  If you don't preserve it, it could be lost forever!

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 11:02:17 am »
Rosewill is just a miscellaneous rebrander; all their products are produced by various OEMs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf