Author Topic: One answer to the Microscope Boom Problem  (Read 599 times)

Online watchmakerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
One answer to the Microscope Boom Problem
« on: February 01, 2024, 03:20:22 pm »
I have 4 booms in my watch shop.  They are terrific for getting over obstacles like a lathe and bench side panels. But they take up a lot of real estate.

As you can see, my temporary (while I experiment with configurations) lab bech is already cramped.  I have about 20 feet of good horizontal space in the watch shop that is well lit and I am thinking of downsizing that operation and moving the lab to there.  In the meantime, needs must.

1998211-0

Anyway, I do not have the space for a boom mount base.  I did have an AO desk mount. Weighted down by my polishing block, it works well.  The mount is attached to gasket paper with double sided tape so I can move it without screwing up my surface cover.

I may use a focuser to mount a PCB holder and clamp it to the end of the bench so I can raise and lower the board for focus rather than change my sitting position which would be required by focusing at the head.

I looked through the catalogs and there exists a desk mount with double slides on a U-foot that looks like it was made exactly for this purpose.  I am now fishing for one.

I simply take the head off my watchbench and carry it to the lab bench.  Here I use a .4x barlow which gives me the right head position and working distance.

1998217-1

« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 03:23:57 pm by watchmaker »
Regards,

Dewey

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf