Author Topic: Tool to turn Straight Lead into Crimped/Bend leads  (Read 2612 times)

Offline EEVadityaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Tool to turn Straight Lead into Crimped/Bend leads
« on: August 08, 2017, 05:05:29 pm »
Hello,

Recently I was looking for Transient Voltage Suppressor (P/N: ERZV14V470) crimped/bend lead but everywhere the straight lead (P/N:ERZV14D470) was available.

So is there any tool to turn Straight leads of components into crimped / bend leads which would be handy in case of ceramic disc cap, MOVs etc.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Tool to turn Straight Lead into Crimped/Bend leads
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 05:43:05 pm »
Can't say for sure, as the datasheet doesnt show the form of crimp/bend that applies here, but EREM has a series of pliers for that (for example, to modify TO220 into SM parts).

Offline M4trix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 06:10:22 pm »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 08:09:26 pm »
If you want to cut the leads separately, lead forming pliers are what you'd want to search for. However, if you'd rather it form & cut in one operation, search for stand-off cutter.
FWIW, I've the latter type; one from Schmitz (labeled CK Tools) and the other from Belzer (German made, pre-Apex acquisition; Brazilian site). Schmitz makes an excellent product, and offer excellent value as well IME (a number of other brands are just rebranded Schmitz at a higher price of course :o  ;D). Erem makes their own, but are quite pricey.

Piergiacomi may be less expensive, but do note they're made of stamped steel and may not have quite as wide a jaw as forged models (could take a bit more time to line up properly before squeezing the grips, which might mean something to you if there's a lot of them to do).

BTW, jewelry makers' tools may pop up in your searches, and some of it is usable for electronics (might be able to find a bargain for nylon jaw for lead straightening or making a C bend for example, as well as more common profiles of precision cutters & pliers such as smooth jaw versions of flat, snipe, and round nose).

Edit: Added snipped photo from Schmitz's site.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:13:28 pm by nanofrog »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 05:08:38 pm »
For kinking component leads I got a pair of these a few years ago; I'm happy with how they work:

https://www.amazon.com/Xuron-573-Xuro-Former-Lead-Former/dp/B000IBOPFW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1502297353&sr=8-6&keywords=xuron+lead

This is the result:

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mightyohm

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf