Author Topic: Desoldering station/gun above ZD-915/474A++ ?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline capriderTopic starter

• Contributor
Desoldering station/gun above ZD-915/474A++ ?
« on: January 15, 2022, 10:54:56 pm »
Hello,

I've been looking for a desoldering station (with sucker pump) for THT in the 100€ +/- price range.

After reading and and watching a lot of reviews, I've noticed that ZD-915/ZD-8915/474A++ kind of .... well, suck. With different design faults making them get clogged way to easily, real difficulties to open the sucked solder tank, 12V cooling fan powered at 18V and so on. Another funny thing is that the same models are sold by a lot of different brands with just a different color and sometimes just different label. I can't even find the manufacturer that makes all these white label thingies.

I guess ZD-915 would kind of work most of the time for a hobbyist, but I'd look for something better that wouldn't break the bank.

So what better desoldering stations are there in a 150€ +/- price range?

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Desoldering station/gun above ZD-915/474A++ ?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 12:22:23 am »
I have also been looking into this. My 9yo ZD-915 is getting a bit old and replacement tips are getting difficult to find.
Testing one two three...

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 06:35:42 am »
Well, if ZD-915 reached 9 years it ain’t that bad. How much are you using it?

And how did you get passed that solder tank that refuses to get out? Any other issues with it?

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 06:54:28 am »

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 11:14:16 am »
It is not a tool i use one every 2 weeks or so on average.
Have not had an issue with it until recently when it started getting a bit random when resuming from standby temp. Probably an easy fix, just have not looked at it yet.
Have not made any mods to it at all.
The solder collection tank comes out easy enough once you get the hang of it. The trick is to make sure the small button on the rear has fully released and the rear mount is fully moved back.
Testing one two three...

The following users thanked this post: caprider

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 11:19:58 am »
Likewise, I have one too (well the Duratool Proskit branded ZD915 sold by Farnell) that I've had for several years and use occasionally. The secret is to hold the board vertically and the gun horizontally (more intuitive than it sounds). They don't clog then.

I can't remember if I did any mods, but I don't think so. [EDIT: Yes I did, I dropped the fan voltage to 12V bought a 24V fan, I'd forgotten how much it howled when I first got it! https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/decent-desoldering-ironstation/msg1048746/?PHPSESSID=6c3skm4vcc6ok4tdlco065ler6#msg1048746 ]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:31:42 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 02:00:20 am »
Yes, thinking about it i do hold the board vertically when i use it, a) for easier use and b) for better light for 52 year old eyes. :) The other thing i do most times is clean it when i have finished using it. I just empty the chamber and run a cleaning brush through the nozzle ready for next use. I have done this most times i have used it and have not had it clog on me.

Testing one two three...

Offline johnh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 06:21:37 am »
Somehow I clogged up the tip of a my ZD-915 once

It was a bit of pain to clean
Managed to clean it by heating it up the tip with kitchen blowtorch and poking a suitable size metal pin through the opening

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 01:19:59 pm »
The most effective unclogging method I've found is to poke a length of Copper wire through the tip and tube rather than the steel pins provided. Something like coax inner or wire stripped from some mains T&E cable. The higher thermal conductivity is much more efficient at melting stubborn lumps. For the same reason, handle the wire with pliers! The wire inevitably comes out heavily tinned - it's surprising how much solder clings to the inside of the tube without it clogging.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline guisveld

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2022, 08:13:26 am »
My ZD-8915 has been working for quite a few years and I have used it a lot. I also use a Aoyue 474+ If you are looking for better build quality. It works great and has a lot less flaws. It is a bit bigger though. I would go for the Aoyue 474 serie. The build quality is much much better and the prices are around 150 euro's.

The best price for the ZD-8915 is: https://www.bifelectronic.com/reworking-desoldering/2416-zd-8915.html
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 08:15:44 am by guisveld »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf