Author Topic: digital microscope  (Read 2206 times)

Offline CharlotteSwissTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
digital microscope
« on: September 08, 2021, 01:00:47 pm »

I would like to buy a digital microscope, I swear not to do the manicur but for electronic works  :scared:

When taking multimeter measurements on small cards, I usually use a mask with interchangeable lenses, but I don't like wearing that mask on my head. I would like a medium / low price range product, but I have no experience in this regard.
Some questions:
1) do they power via usb or do they have an AC adapter? (I would prefer AC adapter, not batteries for sure).
2) HD ok, but what magnification would be recommended for measurements / verification of welds on electronic circuits (also pitch 0.50)?
3) I see that the cheaper ones have a 4.3 '' display, it seems small to me, with 7 '' you can see well?
For example, I saw this in the Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VISLONE-Microscope-Rechargeable-Maintenance-Archaeology/dp/B08GFMKNP6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Could it be at least a sufficient product?

Thanks for any advice  ;)

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: digital microscope
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 02:23:29 pm »
I have never used an electronic microscope for anything except taking pictures.  My experience (50+ years, yikes) has all been with optical "dissecting" microscopes (image is not reversed).

Some points to consider:
1) Distance between objective (lens closest to object) and stage (where object would be).  Larger the better, generally.  This is the weakest point of optical scopes.  Mine is about 10 cm, which is adequate.   Although some (expensive)  optical scopes have a fairly large  distance.
2) You won't need a lot of magnification.  My optical scope has a 10X ocular (the part closest to your eye) and 0.9X objective.  That is more than enough for my electronics. In fact, I wish I could go lower and might look for a lower power ocular.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 03:13:48 pm »
thanks for the advice jpanhalt, very nice  ^-^
50 years of experience in the electronic field? compliments  ^-^
So a greater distance between the lens and the support base would be better? But I see that these microscopes have a support that allows the height adjustment of the lens.
In fact, I use a 3 or 3.5x lens to solder small smd; the tool linked above, in the specifications it should be 1200x, but will you ever be possible? I am very undecided ...
 :-//

Offline ygi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 04:27:59 pm »
Those are Chinese 1200x. Anywhere else, we call that 10x magnification at workable distance (about 8-9cm), 15x at point blank range. Zooming is strictly done by moving the scope up and down, there's no digital zoom and focus is entirely manual.
Advertised resolution is also fake, it's upscaled and massively oversharpened from 640*480. You need very good indirect light to see properly since the sensor sensitivity is terrible at low light and can't handle the glare from direct light. Screen viewing angles aren't great either. The lag between the actual action (ie: you moving your iron) and it being displayed on screen is under 100ms which is noticeable but not too disturbing.

I got mine straight from china for ~45euro so I consider it an OK buy at that price, I can definitely work with that better than my naked eyes. For 90£ though, that's a definite "no".

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 04:47:12 pm »
Thank you ygi, valuable your advice  ^-^
from what you say maybe it is better that I leave it alone, I already have a digital microscope for 20.00, those with very small support, only adjustable and without display, but I'm not happy with that product, so I wouldn't want to get an exact copy.
I have to look better, something more valid, maybe I will have to increase the cost. I am willing to risk the purchase on aliexpress on this tour ...
 :-//

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 03:20:45 pm »

I found this eev video: I now have exactly the first model that shows, the one with the unusable support ... The microscope of the second part of the video, however, seemed to me to be a good step forward to what I have now, the only thing missing display ... but using the laptop ..
Who knows if this is better than the video or the one with a 7 '' display that I put the link above ...  :-//

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 04:09:18 pm »

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 07:13:20 pm »
Your budget is starting to get close enough that you might want to consider an optical microscope:

https://amscope.com/products/se400-x

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 09:40:15 pm »
thanks electro fun  ^-^
the optical one costs quite a lot, I would have thought a maximum expense of 150.00; andostar 301 could be part of my expense
But I try to evaluate even the model 302, or other always of that brand
 ;)

I add that perhaps having a display, albeit small, but approximately in the direction of the hands, makes it easier to try to make measurements / soldering by looking in the display; maybe it won't be easy the first few times ...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 09:44:56 pm by CharlotteSwiss »

Offline ygi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 10:19:15 pm »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 11:00:13 pm »
you are right ygi, my link was an example to show the product. But I would like to stay on the Andonstar brand, they seem to me to be products with a positive view of the people.
Never bought it on banggood, hope its not like aliexpress, i waited a set of smd 2 months... savings ok, but there is a limit to everything  :-//

I agree with Dave at minute 3:04 of the video on my current microscope   >:D ;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 11:06:53 pm by CharlotteSwiss »

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 11:36:50 pm »
I assumed you wanted the scope for assembly.  If it is just for inspection, working space is not that important.  If for assembly, those gooseneck lights might be a problem.  I equipped my optical scope with a circular LED array that slips over and attaches to the objective.  It doesn't reduce the space.

Have you considered used?  Mine was made entirely from used parts (Nikon brand) and cost less than $100 ten years ago.  You just need to be careful in what you buy or beg.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2021, 12:14:49 am »
thanks jpanhalt  ;)
in fact I hadn't thought that the lights could hinder the work; it is also true that those two lights can be positioned enough. The main use I would make of it would be the board check to find burnt parts, the multimeter measurement and the post weld check. I don't think I'd use it for soldering.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 09:45:05 am »
Thanks for the clarification.  Inspection is basically what I use my scope for.  I use a headband magnifier for assembly.

For just inspection, a simple digital scope with reasonable depth of field should be adequate.  The little pencil-like scope ( I have a cheap USB version) provides high magnification, but the stand is unsteady and one needs to continually refocus it.  I use it only for a rare still photograph.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 10:38:24 am »
Thanks jpanhalt  ^-^
I am comparing the two models Andonstar 302 and 407, I see on the reference site that they have a good discount
(the price is the same)

https://andonstarmicroscope.com/collections/hdmi-digital-microscope/products/andonstar-adsm302-560x-digital-microscope-hdmi-1080p-full-hd-scope-with-5-inch-lcd-screen-for-soldering-phone-repair-tools?variant=37532173238434

https://andonstarmicroscope.com/collections/hdmi-digital-microscope/products/andonstar-ad407-3d-hdmi-digital-microscope-with-4mp-uhd-and-7-inch-adjustable-lcd-screen-for-phone-repairing-and-soldering?variant=37544794390690

I am undecided: the 302 has more space between the microscope and the support surface and the possibility of connecting to the PC; the 407 has the advantage of being able to see the image on both the display and the external monitor at the same time, and has a 7-inch display (the 302 has a 5-inch).
I was also thinking that the check with the multimeter with the board under voltage, cannot take place on the support, I guess it is conductive; I should use my card holder.

:-\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf