Products > Other Equipment & Products

DIY anti-static mat material?

(1/2) > >>

george graves:
I haven't seen anyone make a diy anti-static mat.  I was thinking the raw material would might be cheap, and you could  cover your entire bench as a both work mat, and an anti-static mat?

Thoughts?

EDIT:  Concrete thinking.  Urrr.  Ok. I'll specify no cardboard, artist pencils, room humidifiers, or wrist straps.  Just a normal, old school mat - DIY style - not links to a mat anyone can buy.  Ya know.   I just thought it would be a worthwhile thread to see if there is a source for resistive/conductive type of mat that can be a DIY project.  Thanks for the suggestion on everything other then a diy mat.  It's really appreciated. 

HLA-27b:
I'd take a piece of cardboard and paint it completely with graphite (e.g. one of those THICK art pencils). Then run a thin grounding wire around the circumference. Then glue this thing graphite face up to the underside of my work mat. It should work pretty well.

george graves:
Thanks!  But...I was kinda thinking something a bit more durable then cardboard.  Not to mention, the graphite would continually rub off on your hands, and things you are working on.

HLA-27b:

--- Quote from: george graves on August 15, 2011, 06:49:43 am ---Thanks!  But...I was kinda thinking something a bit more durable then cardboard.  Not to mention, the graphite would continually rub off on your hands, and things you are working on.

--- End quote ---

Well that's why I said glue it to the underside of the working mat.

Uncle Vernon:

--- Quote from: george graves on August 15, 2011, 06:12:51 am ---I haven't seen anyone make a diy anti-static mat.  I was thinking the raw material would might be cheap, and you could  cover your entire bench as a both work mat, and an anti-static mat?

Thoughts?

--- End quote ---
Saw your post and thought "what a good idea", however while a quick search reveals lots of options for conductive and antistatic flooring sheet etc. None of it is looking cheap.  Perhaps if you can a find a flooring supplier near you you may be able to locate an offcut for the right price. Custom fitted would certainly be preferable to the budget antistatic mats.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version