Author Topic: DM dispenser, for solder pastes and adhesives  (Read 27422 times)

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
Re: DM dispenser, now available.
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2016, 02:04:40 pm »
It turns out not everyone is a fan of the USB :-[ so I decided to include the DC jack for those who want a more robust/reliable connection (but USB port it's still there for convenience).

Is this the typical, center positive, 5.5mm/2.1mm jack? (same as used on arduinos etc)

By default it works with 5V but you can add a standard 7805 regulator (footprint is already there) and change a jumper inside to make it compatible with 12V to 24V wall adapters.

19v voltage drop, wouldn't that be a litte too much unless there is room for an heatsink?
But the ability to use the typical 9-12volts psu's one have would be great.

Offline drMacFaulty

• Imperfect hobbyist! Handle with care :)
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2016, 05:05:31 pm »
Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reply. I also don't think that I ever need to replace the motor driver, but maybe that others need it (some day), hence the question. Also, the USB spec I read was from quite a while ago, so things might just as well have been improved, I don't know :-// I personally don't own any devices anymore with micro USB connectors, but yeah, phones and tablets feature them too nowadays, forgot about that for a moment heheh. Anyway, it's good to hear that it had been thought through and that the part can handle more than you draw from it ;) Could also be that I've read that from the cable as most cables are indeed more oriented to data exchange than powering a device.

Offline dmmt40Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2016, 07:05:40 pm »
Hello neslekkim

Is this the typical, center positive, 5.5mm/2.1mm jack? (same as used on arduinos etc)

Yep, I chose the most common size.

19v voltage drop, wouldn't that be a litte too much unless there is room for an heatsink?
But the ability to use the typical 9-12volts psu's one have would be great.

I did take that into consideration, in fact the internal circuitry can take up to 40V but the power dissipation of the regulator would be too high (not to mention regular 7805s can't take that high voltage anyway).
But at 24V it dissipates around 1/2W which is very reasonable for a TO220 package and there's enough room for a heatsink as well.
Having said that, most motors work very well with 12-15V and in that case there's plenty of headroom.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: DM dispenser, for solder pastes and adhesives
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 03:03:55 pm »
I just watched the video and am very impressed. This seems to be a well thought off product, both the mechanical design, the user interface, the ability to dispense well defined drops, the ability to be used as a vacuums picker, the bubble free fill method and even that coned cylinder that reduced the amount of paste left over. The trick seems to be in the strong direct drive motor that allows fast vacuum changes (as opposed to the slow geared stepper motor that I used in my design).

Dmmt@, can you explain why you chose that relatively large syringe size?  Wouldn't a smaller one (e.g. 10ml) will give you even faster vacuums control?

This product has a lot of potential to a point that I wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese manufacturer will clone it and sell for $49.99.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 04:47:57 pm »
Hello zapta!

can you explain why you chose that relatively large syringe size?  Wouldn't a smaller one (e.g. 10ml) will give you even faster vacuums control?

There’s several reasons, first and foremost volume. As you can see the leadscrew and piston occupy a large space inside the syringe which reduces dispensing volume roughly by half, using a 10cc syringe would leave just 5cc of effective volume which I don’t consider acceptable, especially for adhesive dispensing.

Then about the vacuum, actually a 10cc syringe is probably worse in that respect because it has much smaller piston area and the motor would have to travel larger distance (and take more time) to achieve the same displacement of volume.
Then there’s motor selection, smaller motors have less torque, although I admit the smaller syringe would require less pressure to push the paste through… But yeah, I have an open mind and may experiment with this in the future to see the pros and cons and then maybe offer it as an option.

This product has a lot of potential to a point that I wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese manufacturer will clone it and sell for $49.99.

maybe but there’s nothing I can do about it, is there?
Other than let people know that I’m the original designer and that they can expect a higher quality product and better support than what a Chinese manufacturer would provide (if any). But yeah, I think they would only clone it if I sell hundreds and catches everyone’s attention  :) hehe so no risks of that yet!

Offline ar__systems

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2016, 11:29:30 am »

It turns out not everyone is a fan of the USB :-[ so I decided to include the DC jack for those who want a more robust/reliable connection (but USB port it's still there for convenience).
By default it works with 5V but you can add a standard 7805 regulator (footprint is already there) and change a jumper inside to make it compatible with 12V to 24V wall adapters.

uUSB is very fragile....

Keep in mind that adding 7805 is not a good idea if you want to power it from 12 let alone 24V. Just think of how much power it will need to dissipate - everything will melt.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 05:11:39 pm »
A quick update for those waiting to buy one.

The next batch is ready! I will put it on sale on Wednesday 17th around noon (Americas time zone) Tindie should send you an email if you’re on the waitlist.
In the meantime I’ll update the documentation, take pictures, finish packaging, etc

Store link: https://www.tindie.com/products/DanM/dm-dispenser-for-solder-pastes-and-adhesives/

Keep in mind that adding 7805 is not a good idea if you want to power it from 12 let alone 24V. Just think of how much power it will need to dissipate - everything will melt.

Don’t worry, the 7805 would be used for powering just the micro and the LCD, the stepper motor driver connects directly to the 12-24V line. Everything will be explained in the user guide once I update it.
Doing the numbers and testing it for real the regulator is perfectly fine, beyond 24V it could get too hot to touch but even going to 35V it would still be within spec, but I rather have that extra margin just in case.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 07:56:44 pm by dmmt40 »

The following users thanked this post: ar__systems

Offline smbaker

• Regular Contributor
    • Scott's Electronics & Sandrail & Old BBS Game Blog
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2016, 10:05:40 pm »
Sold out already! When does the next batch arrive?

Scott

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2016, 03:10:39 am »
Sold out already! When does the next batch arrive?

Scott

Yeah it sold out again very quickly, in just three or four days. And although I'm just making a handful at a time I'm still very pleased.
So thanks everyone who bought one!  :-+

You can expect more in about two or three weeks so that's mid-September. I'm also going to try to always have some stock available from now on.

By the way my store now has spare syringes and dispense tips for sale. In case anyone wants to dispense more fluids or different kinds of pastes, fluxes, etc.

Cheers
Dan

Offline OKCNC

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2016, 01:15:24 pm »
I have a need to lay a liquid in a continuos line.  I would like to use you product on my Cnc router and control within GCode.  Question? Can a contenous line be performed? GCOde control seems doable. 

Thanks, and a good job to you.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2016, 01:59:47 pm »
I have a need to lay a liquid in a continuos line.  I would like to use you product on my Cnc router and control within GCode.  Question? Can a contenous line be performed? GCOde control seems doable. 

Thanks, and a good job to you.

Hello, yes it is definitely possible, you just connect to the external trigger port and send a high signal while the head is moving along, if you want drops you keep the head in the same position, if you want lines of different thicknesses simply move it faster or slower, you can also do curves, etc

In fact I designed a little single axis "line dispenser" which is what we use at work all the time (with adhesives). It incorporates a DM dispenser with a moving carriage where the syringe sits.
I don't have plans to sell this one because there's a very small market for that but it does work and automated line dispensing is definitely possible.

Dan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2016, 05:09:25 pm »
Hello everyone.

I wanted to make a quick post to let you know that my solder paste dispenser will be on sale again next weekend. And since there's discounts and promotions everywhere I decided to do one of my own.

Store link: https://www.tindie.com/products/DanM/dm-dispenser-for-solder-pastes-and-adhesives/

The idea is very simple, you place an order and it is given a number automatically by the system.

- If the order# ends on "2" "4" or "6" then an extra syringe and set of tips will be added, no extra cost.
- An order# with a "0" at the end will get a white DM dispenser, 15% discount code for next order, a foot switch and an extension cable.
- And an "8" will get the white DM dispenser and an upgrade to the next shipping speed available in the destination country: EMS or DHL.

There's very high chances of winning, so there's never been a better time to buy one!  ;D

I could've done simple discount codes and promote them here and in other places (and I'll probably do that next time) but for now I wanted to try out this idea since I don't think anyone has ever done this before on Tindie.

Dan

The following users thanked this post: julianhigginson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2016, 12:05:05 am »
Just a quick reminder that the dispenser is on sale now!   :)

I've had a couple of winners already (thanks to my temporary promotion) so my little game seems to be working as expected.
This promo will run to the end of the year or until supplies last, so make sure to get one soon.

For the people that bought one already, remember to leave a review on the website, that really helps.

And potential customers can ask technical questions here and I'll be happy to answer.

Regards

Offline eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2017, 12:20:19 am »
Today finally I got my dispenser and I was surprised in how well it works.

I want to thank Dan for his efficient assistance to solve some shipping problems I got.
I can assure his customer relationship was TOP NOTCH!!!

I absolutely recommend him as a very high valued seller!

_       Elio.

Offline liionheart

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2017, 09:44:01 am »
just wanted to pick-up dispenser from german customs today.
they refused to hand over due to missing "CE" label on the box and german manual.
any other experiences with europe customs?
any proposal on how to get it to europe?

best regards, Achim

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2017, 01:37:24 pm »
they refused to hand over due to missing "CE" label on the box and german manual.

best regards, Achim

Hi Achim

I've replied to your question by email.

First time this happens! hopefully it will be resolved quickly.

Offline edgelog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2017, 06:20:11 pm »

best regards, Achim

Hi Achim

I've replied to your question by email.

First time this happens! hopefully it will be resolved quickly.

Got mine a couple of days ago here in Sweden. No hickups at all. Haven't used it yet, but sure looks great.

I've actually never had anything held up by customs for any reason. CE marking reasons or otherwise.

Offline vovgut

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2018, 06:15:32 pm »
Good evening.Price for today with delivery to Ukraine Dnipro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2018, 08:17:26 pm »
Good evening.Price for today with delivery to Ukraine Dnipro

Hi there,
No problem shipping to Ukraine, I've done it before.
You can find shipping rates near the bottom of the product page
Used to be easier to find but Tindie redesigned the site not long ago.

If the dispenser is out of stock make sure to join the waitlist to get a notification when it's on sale again (hopefully very soon).

Dan

Offline scottie4442

• Supporter
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2018, 08:31:23 pm »
just an update to let everyone know this is still available, I just order and received mine today.  Very fast shipping and good communication from dmmt40. I am looking forward to using this in my shop, I do very low quantity boards, one or two a week (just hobby for me).  Looks like many of the suggestions on here have been implemented so really excited to try this dispenser out. Did want to say that it was packaged VERY well, everything arrived with out any incidents of breakage or damage.  I highly recommend this unit from dmmt40.

Offline MUDGEL

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2019, 11:05:29 am »
I bought my DMDispenser in NOV 2017 and its a tremendous piece of hardware. The flexibility of the device and the finesse of its function are absolutely fantastic. It just works as intended.
It’s incredibly responsive which surprised me as I was expecting there to be considerable lag in the action of dispensing paste or pick and place.
I'm retired but still actively running a project recording studio.
Hobby as per above and now including tinkering with electronics.

Offline mike_58

• Regular Contributor
  • LEGO playground
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2020, 11:37:22 am »
Hi after reviving many emails about my hand- held dispenser I re-started and made some more of my dispensers - if somebody is interested contact me trough my contact on this web page: https://wordpress.mencinger.biz/
Thanks
Mike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2022, 01:48:57 pm »
Hello Dan here,
Just a quick update in case anyone's interested....

Since my last post the dispenser has been renamed to e.Dispenser here's a link to the website: edispenser.pira.mx

Also there's been a number of improvements in software and hardware, to list a few:
- 20% more volume capacity due to optimized shaft design
- Tip caps included to prevent material from drying up
- Longer motor cables
- Custom-cut foam packaging and improved user manual
- USB-C wall adapter available

It's still going strong and will continue to sell and support it for many years to come, my first customers were fellow EEVblog members so thanks to anyone who has bought it since it's initial release some six years ago.

Regards
Dan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf