Author Topic: Does anybody actually make a wider breadboard?  (Read 1438 times)

Offline HwAoRrDkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Does anybody actually make a wider breadboard?
« on: October 16, 2021, 03:49:22 pm »
Is there any company out there that actually makes a wider breadboard? One with more than 5 rows on each side, and still retains the 0.3" spacing in the middle.

It seems to be a common frustration that dev boards and modules are frequently too wide to work with on a breadboard. In particular, I was just playing with an ESP32 dev board yesterday and got annoyed at there only being a single row on one side free when it's plugged in. A wider board would be ideal for these situations.

Yes, I know you can join together two boards without the power strips, or literally cut a board down the middle and space it however you like, but I can't help wonder if there's an actual product out there catering to the need for more width.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor

• Super Contributor
Re: Does anybody actually make a wider breadboard?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 05:41:54 pm »
No, that's not what I'm talking about - that's just two standard ones stuck together. I know you can get 2x, 3x, 4x wide assemblies.

I'm talking about an actual single-piece board with more than the usual 5 rows of holes each side of the central divider.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 08:01:03 pm »
For wider modules one could the wider gap between 2 such standard boards. That could give you a 0.4" or 0.7" gap. The small gap would than be on both sides.

Online nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 08:13:25 pm »
A fair few dev boards seem to be adopting the Arduino footprint, so I bought one of these mainly on a whim after seeing Dave enthuse about it on one of his mailbags and because my decades-old 3M breadboard was falling to bits.

https://www.gtronics.net/en/products/arduino-proto-shield-plus

(Actually, I think I've used it a grand total of once, to test a LCD display. But it seems quite good anyway)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 08:15:14 pm by nali »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 10:29:49 pm »
Excuse the poor photoshop job, but this is what I had in mind:

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 10:38:07 pm »
Excuse the poor photoshop job, but this is what I had in mind:

I'd buy a couple of those...   Always running out of space on the usual "narrow body" boards

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 12:40:06 pm »
Buy Samtec Socket Strips and configure them as you like. Up to three socket rows wide and up to 150 sockets per column: https://www.samtec.com/products/ssw
Mouser carries Samtec products, but I don't know about this particular item.

Order PCBs to make the connections between the rows and columns as you desire. Solder it up and you are good to go.

Use the Asian board houses for ten copies of 100mm x 100mm boards @ $4.90 = Seeed.cc/Fusion, plus shipping. They tag you on the shipping - $20/shipment/for me. So, I place several orders on the same shipment. But, watch out, they are on to this trick and will charge you extra for over three different boards, IIRC.

If you use this method, please post pictures of the build. Well, please post whatever solution you come up with.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf