Author Topic: Work bench finish recommendations  (Read 771 times)

Offline matthuszaghTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Work bench finish recommendations
« on: February 23, 2021, 01:24:10 am »
I'm looking to buy a new work bench and deciding on the finish I want for it. I'm mostly deciding between a static-dissipative laminate (comes with a grounding snap) and a chemical + scratch resistant phenolic plastic. Most of the work I do is typical electronics work: instrument assembly/disassembly, repair, soldering etc. Therefore I'm leaning toward the static-dissipative material. If I settled for the phenolic plastic, I would additionally use a static-dissipative mat as it is non-conductive. I don't plan to do much work with chemicals but I do use typical electronics work chemicals (alcohols, ferric chloride for etching circuit boards, polishing compounds for metal and plastic, acetone, etc.), so I think the phenolic plastic is probably overkill. Additionally, these chemicals should mostly not come into contact with the table surface. The static-dissipative laminate is supposedly resistant to dilute chemicals, but I don't have more specific information than that.

The static-dissipative material can withstand temporary temperatures of below 135C and prolonged temps of below 65C, so I'd need to use some sort of protection when I use a hot air gun. I haven't yet checked the heat resistance of the phenolic workbench. Other finish options are wood with a mineral oil finish and stainless steel. In terms of cost, the phenolic and stainless steel are not cheap - about 2x the price of the wood or static-dissipative laminate. I'm hoping to have this bench for a long time, so long-term durability is definitely an important criteria. All of the options support enough weight for my purposes. Any recommendations in regard to material finish? Any reason why I should not go with the static-dissipative table? I'm happy to provide more information if needed. Thanks!

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
Re: Work bench finish recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 10:13:55 pm »
Actually I prefer wood or some sort of wood composite for benches.   Finish with a durable all weather varnish.   For Static use a mat designed for the purpose.

The problem with laminates is that once they go bad, (get scratched up, burnt & etc) it is very hard to get a decent repair.   With plain wood or a composite wood product you can often sand out and refinish.

For benches that get heavy wear slap a sheet of fiber board on top.

In either case you can apply an epoxy penetrating sealer to harden the surfaces.  The sealers can also help prevent the ingress of liquids.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf