Author Topic: DS1054Z bundle - worth it?  (Read 3497 times)

Offline cheeseitTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
DS1054Z bundle - worth it?
« on: November 30, 2015, 10:31:31 pm »
I've decided to buy a DS1054Z scope and found this Batterfly bundle. I guess another DMM is always nice and I could use something better than those I have, which I think the Extech EX330 is. The FX-888D is no doubt good but I already have what I think is a pretty good soldering station, which is the Weller WSD80.

The DS1054Z alone costs 328€, the EX330 48€ and the FX-888D 98€, while the bundle is 440€ so 112€ more than scope alone, plus 22% VAT.

Now, my questions are:
How is the FX-888D compared to the WSD80 (which I quite like but need more/new tips for)?

Is the EX330 any good/worth it?

Would I be better of to just buy the scope, some tips for my WSD80 and put the rest of the money I save towards a quality DMM, perhaps the DM3058E?

Which tips should I buy for both soldering stations that would have me generally covered?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: DS1054Z bundle - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 11:33:34 pm »
If you already have a good soldering station, then a new one will not be a good buy regardless of the price, IMHO. You will always need new tips.

IMHO there are some brands of multimeters to avoid: Vici, Mastech, Extech EX model series, and some others. The Extech EX series seem to have horrible quality control and it is a roll of the dice whether you get a good one or not.

So IMHO opinion, probably not worth it.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 11:37:43 pm »
This might be helpful for deciding the multimeter: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/student-multimeter-extech-ex330/
The EX330 is alright, but it's not the best (quite old) and there are better meters around that could suit your needs.  :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 10:42:36 pm »
Thank you both. I've reconsidered and decided to skip the bundle. The Hakko would be nice but I don't really need it, and the Extech meter does not look that good. I'm glad I asked on that one.
I have just ordered a DP832 and a Peak Electronic Atlas Pro pack (DCA75 and LCR45) instead, and will order the DS1054Z and a UNI-T UT61D as soon as my significant other agrees. ;)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 11:33:26 pm »
I would also avoid the UT61D.  If you must get one from that series, the UT61E i the better buy. IMHO you would be better off getting the UT139C as it has better input protection. Do you have a specific price range for the multimeter?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 08:11:04 pm »
Sorry that I did not get back to this before now but I have been too busy.

Got my first Rigol gear (DP832) and I must say I like it - I will definitely buy that 1054Z soon (and mod that too) but not the bundle as mentioned. Some more Peak too, that sure is nice equipment.  :-+

I wrote UT61D but it was a typo, I actually meant UT61E. The UT61D looked okay but having read some more here and elsewhere I quickly settled on the E-model which is reasonably priced at Batronix. An UT61E and the 1054Z combined also means free shipping so that is a bonus.

I rarely poke around mains wired stuff and when I do, I use a CATII rated meter and only on the low-side so (reasonable) accuracy is what I need. My budget is around 100€ including VAT and is has to be within the EC but if there is another meter with equal specs which is also safer then please point me in the direction.

I am a newbie so your help is much appreciated, thanks again!  :)

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 08:21:23 pm »
I wonder if these bundle deals are really just a way of authorised distributors getting around their suppliers insisting they only sell advertise products at MRP. Perhaps if you got on the phone and haggled a price on the equipment you actually need is a better idea?  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf