Author Topic: Dyson V6 V7 SV03 DC62 SV10 32 red light flashes - planned obsolescence  (Read 6818 times)

Offline dvd4meTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hello,

All over the internet the solution to fix the 32 red flashes on those batteries is... replace the battery!
So, after tinfever did some reverse engineering on those 32 red light flash error from the Dyson battery packs, analyzing the BMS form the V7 (SV11) and V6 (SV09) Dyson batteries, the conclusion is that the balancing was design to ... not happen on those packs, thus the reason of lock with 32 flashes. Planned obsolescence.
It’s this a joke when a company that claims to bring the finest of engineering in their products actually designs planned obsolescence in their battery product? Huh?

Solution to reset the lock has been found, read all the details of the hard work and contributors here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/dyson-v7-trigger-cordless-vacuum-teardown-of-battery-pack/msg3881375/#msg3881375
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 07:37:35 pm by dvd4me »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Dyson V6 V7 32 red light flashes - planned obsolescence
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 04:20:39 pm »

The only defense is to not purchase products that feature planned obsolescence.

I recently bought a vacuum cleaner.  I made sure it had an AC power cord!  :D

The following users thanked this post: gold oxide, Craftsman

Offline dvd4meTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 04:37:17 pm »

The only defense is to not purchase products that feature planned obsolescence.

I recently bought a vacuum cleaner.  I made sure it had an AC power cord!  :D

Hello Silver,
I'm actually "saving" the planet one item at a time. My Dyson was proudly "retrieved" from the snowy snow...  :-DD
I will not spend money on things that I can find for free and fix, well maybe a small cost on the parts..
I like learning and fixing and sometimes even contributing...

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 06:31:14 pm by dvd4me »

The following users thanked this post: BillyD, SilverSolder, shakalnokturn

Offline Tangent_Tracker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 05:22:34 pm »
Not so much planned obsolescence, but definitely cost-cutting. i am not surprised with Dyson tbh, and it stinks. but remember this guy has never invented anything new, just adapted.

Offline tinfever

• Regular Contributor
  • I like to make life harder for myself
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 08:21:01 pm »
Not so much planned obsolescence, but definitely cost-cutting. i am not surprised with Dyson tbh, and it stinks. but remember this guy has never invented anything new, just adapted.

I believe this is 100% intentional on their part. On the V6 (SV09) BMS boards, they even have the traces and pads for the balancing resistors, they just aren't populated. All they needed was 5x 220 Ohm 1/10th watt resistors which would have cost them in total about one cent.

If this was truly about cost, I feel like they wouldn't have implemented a fancy BMS IC with built-in balancing MOSFETs in the first place. They probably could have used a BMS IC without balancing FETs that also didn't require a separate microcontroller and saved a ton more cost by removing the uC.

On the later V7 (SV11) BMS board, they didn't even include the pads and traces for the balancing resistors and clearly miswired the BMS IC so the internal FETs were shorted out and could never be used. They did add a reed switch to the SV11 BMS to detect when the battery is removed from the vacuum, which I bet cost a whole lot more than one cent.

The following users thanked this post: dvd4me

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 08:37:44 pm »
Actually 1w resistors, as you know they cost a fortune ::)
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline tinfever

• Regular Contributor
  • I like to make life harder for myself
Re: Dyson V6 (SV09) V7 (SV11) 32 red light flashes - planned obsolescence
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 11:03:31 pm »
True. If you wanted to max out the ISL94208 at 200mA balancing per cell, you'd need bigger resistors.

I'd been assuming a low-budget scrappy startup like Dyson would just use the example application in the datasheet and use 200 Ohm or so resistors. Maybe we should give them the benefit of the doubt and they had to save 1.2 cents per unit over 10 million units so they could afford to pay the lone engineer they must have designing all their products.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: dvd4me

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Dyson V6 (SV09) V7 (SV11) 32 red light flashes - planned obsolescence
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 04:32:53 pm »

It is pretty poor that there is no balancing, and a "dead man's switch" in the BMS.   Dyson seems to be a good candidate for some "right to repair" treatment...

Offline NeilP

• Contributor
Re: Dyson V6 V7 SV03 DC62 SV10 32 red light flashes - planned obsolescence
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 06:22:42 pm »
I have posted a new topic on these..not sure if a new topic or tagging on here or another post was the best thing to do ..so opted for a new post.

If any of you ladies and gents have the time , I'd appreciate any input on this

Thank you

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/beginner-dyson-battery-question-sv03-sv05

Offline NeilP

• Contributor
Re: Dyson V6 V7 SV03 DC62 SV10 32 red light flashes - planned obsolescence
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2023, 06:37:56 am »
And yet another topic !  I have a question regarding the bonded thermistor, but have placed that in its own thread, to avoid burying the answers within a different topic.

If you have info I’d be grateful if you answered on that thread

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/dyson-sv0305-battery-bms-thermistor

Thank you

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf