Author Topic: Eakins microscope.... which one do you pick?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline ifonlyeverythingTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Eakins microscope.... which one do you pick?
« on: October 31, 2023, 07:49:29 pm »
I want to buy an "Eakins style" microscope for use in soldering. I'm having trouble understanding their product offerings. Lenses are here https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832766138658.html What one is best for ordinary SMD soldering? Are all of these lenses zoomable or just the ones marked e.g. "10-130x"?

Cameras are here https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Microscope-Camera/1100724926_509002258.html The descriptions are crazy with ranges from 28 MP to 55 MP, 2K to 4K or both, and some of the cheaper models having allegedly better specs than the more expensive models. And of course who knows what sensor is used in what model. What one should I be getting if I want non-auto focus with HDMI & USB output?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 10:25:36 pm by ifonlyeverything »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Eakins microscope.... which one do you pick?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 09:25:58 pm »
Have you already determined that you prefer a digital 2D microscope to a stereo view optical microscope?

The lenses are a bit confusing. You need to scroll down to "Description" and look at the working distance and magnification power. You probably want something in the 100-130x range max.

Look at this video, you can see them demo the "fixed" 130x lens:

Note how they bring the unit closer to zoom, and adjust the lens to focus.

Here is a demo of a zoom unit:

They rotate the lens to zoom in, then adjust the height to focus.

Looking at the lenses above, you can determine if you want the zoom knob (~$80) or not ($15). Zoom goes better with the focusing rack style stand they show in the second video.

For the specs, higher megapixel isn't necessarily better. Usually what is desired is large sensor size and good frame rate.
One issue with the specs is that Eakins has been known to ship falsely labeled cameras. So they might say it has a particular sensor and it will show up with something else.

You haven't given a budget but I assume it is on the lower end? $200-300? Since you don't want autofocus.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline ifonlyeverythingTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 10:19:05 pm »
Have you already determined that you prefer a digital 2D microscope to a stereo view optical microscope?

Yes. I had corrective surgery for strabismus when I was a kid but my brain never really adapted. I have a persistent binocular vision disorder, so things like stereo microscopes don't really work for me.  :palm:

You haven't given a budget but I assume it is on the lower end? $200-300? Since you don't want autofocus.

Thanks for the video links, I'll check them out. And yes, I'm hoping to keep it under $200 for a lens, rack and pinion style mount (not the bending arm style mounts), and an LED light.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 11:18:50 pm »
Another user here posted this review, they got the zoom lens:

Should be similar to the IMX377 listed here: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804008993125.html

https://www.ienso.com/mipi-sensor-comparison-table/
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 08:37:01 am »
With cheap cameras you are lucky to get 5Mpx or 8Mpx.
The 30/50/100/9000/etc microscope cameras from China are pure bullshit.

You don't need more resolution than the display it will be connected with.

You don't need more resolution than the optics have, and for a good matching you need to think about objective image circle diameter, resolution, camera sensor diagonal and pixel pitch.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 08:39:33 am by magic »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf