Author Topic: Ersa Analog 60A poor performance  (Read 1263 times)

Offline zkrxTopic starter

• Contributor
Ersa Analog 60A poor performance
« on: April 19, 2021, 10:20:38 pm »
Hey everyone, first post here! Thank you for all the valuable stuff this community provides :).

I have an old (20+yo?) Weller WTCP 50 that I've used forever, 50W fixed-temperature using 370°C tips (lead-free soldering, mostly SMD work). The thing works flawlessly for everything I throw at it. It does take a while to reach operating temperature (> 1 minute), but once reached, it stays there. I enjoy working with it.

I recently started using an (old) Ersa Analog 60A that I got 2nd hand, 60W, variable temperature up to 450°C, came with an "Ergo tool" iron. The heating element is quite corroded. I cleaned it with steel wool but it's still black (especially the junction of the heating element with the tip). At first sight, the iron reaches operating temperature quickly in around 10 seconds. Solder flows fine on the tip. But when I try to use it, all I manage to do is ruin boards with crappy jobs. Biggest issue is that solder wick won't work well or will even stay soldered to the pads, etc. I tried tips of different sizes, all new.

It seems that the tip loses temperature too quickly even though the station seems to regulate fine (there's a red LED that lights up when heating). See the effect shown in e.g. [1] figure 1. Anyone having a similar experience? I'm trying to assess whether:
1. this model is too old and/or is simply of inferior quality to the Weller (but I doubt it)
2. the "Ergo tool" should be replaced by a better tool
3. corrosion is hurting performance badly and should be removed/the heating element should be changed

Any thought?

[1] http://www.ersa.de/media/pdf/fachartikel/fachartikel_englisch/improving_hand_soldering_operational_costs_and_process_control_2.pdf

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: Ersa Analog 60A poor performance
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 10:57:24 pm »
My thought is your question contains little of useful information since you did not mention which tips you used, and what you tried to solder.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 11:04:59 pm by wraper »

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 06:46:36 am »
Don't clean tips with steal wool, it will damage the tip plating. It's difficult to interpret 'crappy soldering job' into a problem, but a damaged tip will be impossible to solder with and should be changed out.

Hey everyone, first post here! Thank you for all the valuable stuff this community provides :).

I have an old (20+yo?) Weller WTCP 50 that I've used forever, 50W fixed-temperature using 370°C tips (lead-free soldering, mostly SMD work). The thing works flawlessly for everything I throw at it. It does take a while to reach operating temperature (> 1 minute), but once reached, it stays there. I enjoy working with it.

I recently started using an (old) Ersa Analog 60A that I got 2nd hand, 60W, variable temperature up to 450°C, came with an "Ergo tool" iron. The heating element is quite corroded. I cleaned it with steel wool but it's still black (especially the junction of the heating element with the tip). At first sight, the iron reaches operating temperature quickly in around 10 seconds. Solder flows fine on the tip. But when I try to use it, all I manage to do is ruin boards with crappy jobs. Biggest issue is that solder wick won't work well or will even stay soldered to the pads, etc. I tried tips of different sizes, all new.

It seems that the tip loses temperature too quickly even though the station seems to regulate fine (there's a red LED that lights up when heating). See the effect shown in e.g. [1] figure 1. Anyone having a similar experience? I'm trying to assess whether:
1. this model is too old and/or is simply of inferior quality to the Weller (but I doubt it)
2. the "Ergo tool" should be replaced by a better tool
3. corrosion is hurting performance badly and should be removed/the heating element should be changed

Any thought?

[1] http://www.ersa.de/media/pdf/fachartikel/fachartikel_englisch/improving_hand_soldering_operational_costs_and_process_control_2.pdf

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 07:10:22 am »
I am talking about the heating element, not the tip:
https://esd.equipment/en/ersa-068100j.html

which has a lot of black spots (corrosion) that I tried to remove with steel wool. I am not attempting to scratch tips in any way: my tips are brand new and/or cared after.

The kind of work performed is mentioned also: lead-free soldering on SMD parts using small-sized tips at ~380°C. Mainly desoldering using solder wick is a PITA with this Ersa. My Weller - same wattage, same temp, same kind of tip, same work - exhibits none of these issues. That's why I'm thinking the heating element is toast (too corroded), but I'd like to make sure of it before changing the part.

Perhaps I should not expect the same kind of performance from the Ersa which uses a different technology. Weller uses what they call "Magnastat" which uses the curie point to regulate temperature directly at the tip, and it is quite effective based on my experience.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:17:11 am by zkrx »

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 07:24:22 am »
My thought is your question contains little of useful information since you did not mention which tips you used, and what you tried to solder.

Nothing fancy really, yesterday I used a computer motherboard to perform some comparisons, applying solder wick with flux to some SOT-23 component and other small SMD resistors and capacitors under magnification. My Ersa struggles quite a bit. I mean, it works to some extent, but it's painful, slower and often leaves solder behind. My Weller is a breeze.

EDIT: here are the tips I used:
Ersa:
Lötspitze 0842SD, 0,8 mm, bleistiftförmig, gerade
Lötspitze 0842UD, 0,4 mm, bleistiftförmig, gerade

Weller:
PTH7 0.4mm

The Ersa tips have pointy ends, perhaps these are not ideal.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:38:56 am by zkrx »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 12:17:50 pm »
Estimating heater performance by using small tips is a very bad idea. Even if there is a poor heater to the tip heat transfer, heat loss in the tip will dominate. PC motherboards have high heat capacity/conductivity. And small conical tips often are unsuitable for soldering without preheater, especially if pad is connected to power plane/GND. These tips are not only small but also long, which further worsens performance. So IMHO it performs as should be expected. Also I see no reason why tarnished heater surface should affect performance in any significant way.
Weller:
PTH7 0.4mm
This is a very different tip which should have much better heat transfer. You should expect results similar to ersa if you used PTS8, PTO7 or similar tip.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:19:08 pm by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, zkrx

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 02:13:21 am »
A brass brush will clean it nicely while not scratching the protective coat.
Althought sometimes it gets so bad that the only way is top use the steel wool.
I've done it few times ,maybe 3-5 times per year.
One day you forget to turn off the iron. On the next morning the flux and remains have become a black crust.
If the wet sponge does nothing, well, a few passes with the steel wool, and quickly wet with new solder to avoid oxidation.
Never damaged a tip by doing so. But as I say, not as a regular habit.

The tip part you use to "touch" the solder should be clean and shiny. and wet easily.
Otherwise you're wasting your time, the heat transfer will be terrible.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 02:21:32 am by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf