Products > Other Equipment & Products

ERSA I-CON2V (Port Switch Hack)

(1/5) > >>

sn4k3:
Hello,

After ask for a soldering station i opt for ERSA I-CON 1 and latter I-CON2V, if you want read take a look at: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/new-soldering-station-recomendation-weller-vs-jbc/
As i already know ERSA dual or quad port stations are not ON/OFF switched controled independent, which is a big drawback to me, fry un-use tools without need are not required, disconnect and connect port is also bad and pain, also can lead to broken port or pins. So i wan't a easy way to switch on/off each port. Ersa could do this easy by software side as i already adviced, 20m of programming could solve this problem, still i come with my own solution by modify the station.

Beware: If you follow this do it by your own risk, warranty will be void, test your station, make sure pins match

After some hours of inspection and debug i have discover all pins and thier relationship.
Tested with i-tool and chip tool vario
Please see attachments (PDF have the hack) and switch the data pin
Route cables from bottom vent holes to switchs, myself i will place them at left side but you can come with different approach.
Dont forget to insulate every cut, cable joins and switch terminals as well -- heatshrink tube

--- End quote ---
[/img]

Don't try to understand my sketch, look at PDF only

PDF Revision: 3 (Final and tested)

sn4k3:
(Reserved)

Next hack: Implement macros (Temperature presets) with buttons

sn4k3:
Modification was completed today  :-+
All went very well.
With this modification turn on/off tools are almost instant and don't require to disconnect tools anymore.
This what ersa should be done at first place. Still the station and tools are great.

Make sure you pick good switch and not crappy ones.

eKretz:
That is an interesting solution and looks like it will work just fine, but doesn't that station have a "sleep" function? My i-Con 1 is able to be set to reduce power after a pretty short inactivity period and then completely shut off the heater after a bit longer. This works great for me, I'd think that would have worked just fine for your situation also. If it's just your personal preference not to have to wait a few minutes for the station to go to sleep, I could understand that too.

sn4k3:

--- Quote from: eKretz on May 06, 2017, 09:12:15 am ---That is an interesting solution and looks like it will work just fine, but doesn't that station have a "sleep" function? My i-Con 1 is able to be set to reduce power after a pretty short inactivity period and then completely shut off the heater after a bit longer. This works great for me, I'd think that would have worked just fine for your situation also. If it's just your personal preference not to have to wait a few minutes for the station to go to sleep, I could understand that too.

--- End quote ---

For i-con 1 this mod is useless as it is 1 tool only. I have sleep at 5m inactivity still i never use two tools at same time and chip tool rarely use, so why i will have chip too to always heat up, waste resistor and oxidize the tips? 350ºc-370ºc for 5m every time i use the station is enough to dramatic reduce the tip life span and they are not cheap, no need to. So this mod is a win win to me.
Think about Vario 4, 4 tools heating up wasting tips, resistor, power, heat, etc. (except s-air) sleep and hibernation is not an excuse to ersa skip individual switch but is a way to win more money, it will reduce tools life and station as well so you will need to buy sooner.

Another way to save your tools is set them at lowest temp (150ºc) when not needed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version