Author Topic: ESD Mat  (Read 8875 times)

Offline AJ4OMTopic starter

• www.aj4om.com
ESD Mat
« on: May 15, 2012, 11:40:57 pm »

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
Re: ESD Mat
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 12:08:08 am »
It looks like the guy from Canada, Thornhill Ontario. If it is I have bought them before. They are the real deal, Rubber (not the crappy vinyl ones), conductive coating on the bottom and either blue or gray. I Didn't find any defects or blemishes on the ones I got.

I have bought from him before and even though they don't have a visible brand name I'm pretty sure they are brand name.

...mike

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 12:33:48 am »
Not sure where you are in the US, but it was the shipping that kept me from purchasing from that seller (looked at a bit smaller). But he assured me it was rubber, and you get your choice of color (blue, grey, and maybe green IIRC).

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 12:38:09 am »
I don't think he's making a killing on the shipping those mats are pretty heavy.

...mike

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:44:34 am »
I don't think he's making a killing on the shipping those mats are pretty heavy.

...mike
I wasn't knocking the seller or the prices (prices are great).

Just stating that adding the cost of the mat + shipping from Canada to me didn't come out less expensive than buying the same type and size mat within the US when I checked. Like you say, they're not exactly light weight, and shipping between Canada and the US is what caused it not to be the deal I had hoped.

Offline AJ4OMTopic starter

• www.aj4om.com
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:46:37 am »
I am in the US. I haven't looked to see how bad the shipping was yet.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 12:56:58 am »
I am in the US. I haven't looked to see how bad the shipping was yet.
eBay wouldn't give me that information when I entered my ZIP code, so I had to contact the seller. Worth checking, as it may work out for a larger mat.

Good luck.  :)

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 01:08:36 am »

...mike
I wasn't knocking the seller or the prices (prices are great).

Just stating that adding the cost of the mat + shipping from Canada to me didn't come out less expensive than buying the same type and size mat within the US when I checked. Like you say, they're not exactly light weight, and shipping between Canada and the US is what caused it not to be the deal I had hoped.

I know, shipping from Canada to the sates and vice versa sucks. Look at AMScope, they are a Canadian company and run an office across the border and drive the stuff personally from Canada to the US daily to save shipping costs. It works though, they have great prices on microscopes.

...mike

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 01:31:26 am »
I got the green non textured high temp rubber from him and it is excellent.

Offline Construct

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 06:21:54 pm »
According to his auction description, this is a Scientific Americas product. It doesn't correspond to any of their current part numbers: http://scientificamericas.com/product_cat.php?cat_id_cap1=49&cat_id_cap2=51

Looks like he's buying the 40ft rolls, cutting them to length, and selling them on eBay. Not a bad idea at all. Certainly makes things easier for those of us without 40ft of bench space.

Now if only some enterprising individual within the US would do the same to keep shipping costs down.

Offline Baliszoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 09:42:12 pm »
My vermason mat has got exactly the same pattern.

Offline kaptain_zero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 12:52:32 am »
Well, after checking local prices... I'm going to order one from this outfit.  I figure the 30 x 72 size should make for enough elbow room, even for a klutz like me!  ;D

I'm in Canada so shipping isn't that bad, only $17.xx, and that textured surface should hopefully keep the tiny bits from rolling off the bench.

Regards

Christian

Offline kodi

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 01:25:05 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm looking for ESD mat resistant to heat,abrasion and accidental cutting. I stumbled onto this thread. There is now a link to the specs:

http://scientificamericas.com/upload/Two%20Layer%20ESD%20Rubber%20Mat.pdf

The problem is I live in Ireland and shipping (surface) would be like 50$ (and delivery time around a month or so). Can anyone point me to the shop where can I purchase a similar quality product (or what Dave is using ;)), but in Europe? Thanks in advance!

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 02:06:01 pm »
kodi,

I got my ESD gear from Somerset Solders (www.somersetsolders.com). They sell 1200x610 dual layer rubber mats pre-fitted with 10mm studs for around £30, and they are pretty tough (mine has survived numerous solder splashes and the famous EEVBlog multimeter probe penetration test).

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 03:27:08 pm »
I did a cheap one, cost me nothing, and has a surface resistivity of 5M per square. Used rubber conveyer belting, around 5mm thick. Carbon black loaded natural rubber vulcanised to cotton plies and with an antistatic top rubber. Can be cut, but quite resistant to accidental damage, and will withstand the odd contact with hot solder or the soldering iron tip. added a corner screw and washer to connect an earthing wire, and this goes to mains earth via a 100k resistor for safety, along with the standard ELCB.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 03:37:38 pm »
I bought some 600mmx900mm mats from element14 that only costs me 39SGD per mat... It's the grade A version, >220Mohms (Datasheet quoted 10Mohms to 1Gohms) on the top and spot on 1Mohms on the bottom
http://sg.element14.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1687904
Although there are some problems on the mat itself, such as white holes( fillups apparently) so the quality is not great
and some holes

*It's so slow now, just my internet going mad
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 03:41:30 pm by DaveXRT »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 05:43:23 pm »
I think I have the same mat. I find it difficult to clean because the surface is made of rubber. The more expensive mats have smoother surfaces.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 06:23:44 pm »
I think I have the same mat. I find it difficult to clean because the surface is made of rubber. The more expensive mats have smoother surfaces.

Ain't they all made of rubber? It's actually supposedly the same type ...

Offline kodi

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 06:49:44 pm »
Thanks for the info, guys! Regarding the rubber surface - Somerset Solders offers now something called "ESD 3 Layer Bench Matting" with rubber as a middle layer. I asked them what's on top (vinyl/rubber/other) and for specs, because there is not much info on that.

Rolycat: is your mat resistant to cuts as well? I will be working with mixed PCBs, so I want something that's at least scratch resistant (BTW with shipping Somerset Solders price is exactly the same as ordered from Canada...).

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 10:22:27 pm »
Kodi,

I bought the 2-layer mat a year or so ago, and it's still in very good condition. Apart from being pale blue it looks and behaves just like the stuff Dave has on his bench, and it's very tough, although you can cut it with a craft knife. There's more information on the 2-layer pages on the website, this is an extract:

Two layer nitrile rubber material
Static dissipative coloured top layer
Black conductive underlayment.
Meets ESD standard EN 61340-5-1
Resistant to solder splashing and abrasion

I opted for studs on all corners. One rear stud is grounded, and the front studs can be used to clip on a wrist strap.

On the whole I'm very happy with it - it feels like a professional quality product. If I have a criticism, the pale colour and a slight 'grain' on the top layer means that it can look grubby if not cleaned from time to time - the dark blue might be better in that respect.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf