Author Topic: Weller WX2 station questions  (Read 1840 times)

Offline drummerdimitri

• Frequent Contributor
Weller WX2 station questions
« on: November 07, 2016, 06:51:48 pm »
I recently bought a Weller WX2 power supply with a WXP 120 iron and have a few questions regarding the setup:

When the iron is heating up, does it ever use the full 200W of power that the station can provide?

What about when soldering heavy gauge copper wires, if the bar is fully lit does that mean the iron is using its full power or the station? Is it the same for every other pencil?

Thanks!

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
Re: Weller WX2 station questions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 08:56:37 pm »
What bar are you taking about, doesn't the WX2 display temperature digits?

I think the station is universal and effectively it is the iron you connect to it that dictates the actual power.

Offline drummerdimitri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:00:25 pm »
What bar are you taking about, doesn't the WX2 display temperature digits?

I think the station is universal and effectively it is the iron you connect to it that dictates the actual power.

I'm talking about the power usage bar. Of course it displays temperature digits.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 07:59:44 am »
Alright gotta have a look later, I didn't know that it also has a power indicator.

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 12:27:34 pm »
I recently bought a Weller WX2 power supply with a WXP 120 iron and have a few questions regarding the setup:
When the iron is heating up, does it ever use the full 200W of power that the station can provide?
What about when soldering heavy gauge copper wires, if the bar is fully lit does that mean the iron is using its full power or the station? Is it the same for every other pencil?
Thanks!
AFAIK the powerbar is related to the iron connected. For instance if I use a pencil of 40W on a large copper plane it will also go to 100% but the iron itself can ofcourse never consume 200W (the wires are very thin and the heaterelement is 40W). The same I guess for the 120W iron, 100% means relative to the iron being 120W consumption and even that I think is doubtfull since the element is hot.
Perhaps when it is cold it can consume slightly more power but after 2 seconds it is already hot.

The only thing I can found to colaborate this is that you are not allowed to attach two 120W irons or 1x 200W iron and any other iron together at the station. This would indicate that you could overload the station and the software won't allow this.

Offline CraigHB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 12:39:00 pm »
I'm not positive but I believe the station uses PWM to control heater temperature.  In that case the power bar would only indicate duty cycle.  Power output would depend on the iron connected to the base.  A 40W iron at 100% duty cycle is 40W.  A 120W iron at 100% duty cycle is 120W.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf