Author Topic: Extech EX520, oh the horror  (Read 12804 times)

Offline CraigHBTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Extech EX520, oh the horror
« on: January 06, 2012, 01:51:49 am »
So I have an Extech EX420 DMM I've been using forever and it gave up the ghost after I spilled my coffee on it, oops.  Oh well, just have to upgrade to a better one.  Now, the EX420 seemed like it was decent.  It worked well and had a nice display.  It looked like assembly and design was pretty well done on the inside, not bad for a value meter.  I figured I was pretty happy with that meter so it should be a good bet to stick with an Extech.  I Happily paid the $179 plus expedited shipping for an EX520.

I got the EX520 in the mail today.  Was excited to get a higher end meter.  But that's where my excitement ended. 

The first thing I noticed was a large gouge on the display and several smaller scratches.  At first, I thought maybe the vendor had sent me a return, but near as I could tell, it was a new unopened unit.  If not, someone had done a factory job replacing the tape on the product box and protective plastic film on the display.  It looked like something that happened at the factory.  Well, it was on the bottom and I could probably live with it seeing as how I'm without a DMM right now.

The next thing I noticed was the view quality of the display.  When looking at the display from the bottom (like you would if it was laying flat on a table a distance above your work), all of the LCD segments are visible making it impossible to read.  My old EX420 is dead, but the display still mostly works so I compared and the old meter doesn't do that.  In fact, I don't recall ever using any instrument with such a limited view angle.  I'm sure it's due to a mis-calibration in the contrast, but there's no way to adjust it.  The issue makes the meter readable only when hung from a strap or on its stand.  Again, I figured since I mostly use it on the stand, I can probably live with it.

The next problem I ran into was the temperature probe.  Every time I moved the cable, it jumped around like crazy.  Near as I can tell, the probe is defective and has a bad connection.  My EX420 takes the same probe and there was no issue with that one.  Okay, I'll just use my old probe.

Now, this is the one that is just way out there.  I removed the cover to check the quality of assembly and I can't believe what I saw.  There was an 0805 SMD resistor with a 0805 SMD capacitor bodged on top of it with what looked like a hand solder job.  WTF?!!!  Is this the kind of crap Extech feels is acceptable quality?  If so, I'm not going to touch another Extech anything even with someone else's money.

I bought this thing mail order and I just hope the vendor will take it back with a refund.  All they have is Extech and Fluke.  My first mistake was using that vendor, second was buying an Extech.  I'm going to try and get a BK Precision from tequipment.net.  I just can't afford the price tag on a Fluke, but it should be possible to get a quality meter for $200, right?.  Extech sure ain't it.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Extech EX520, oh the horror
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 02:18:52 am »
You know, if you are in the US you could do worse than to pop along to Home Depot and pick up the Klein Tools MM2000.

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 02:21:15 am »
Yeah those Klein DMMs are actually pretty good. I saw a teardown once and it was more than adequate. A tad overpriced but if you need one, they're good. And although I doubt Klein is actually making them in their own factories, it is still good nonetheless.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 02:33:20 am »
Thanks for that.  I may have to if I end up in a pinch.  When I send that POS back, I have no DMM so the project I'm anxiously working on right now is on hold.  I just hope I'm not stuck with it.  BTW, there's a Home Depot a block from my house.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 02:35:55 am »
The suggestion is not a joke. I don't know who the original manufacturer of that DMM is, but it genuinely does seem to be a good quality meter.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:38:42 am »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 02:42:02 am »
Thanks, if I can find the spec sheet on it, I may just run down the block and get one.

Okay, that link to the review provided the information.  Looks like the lower limit on voltage is 400mV, too high.  Also the lower limit on current is 400uA, also too high.  Though the accuracy is on par with other meters in that price range.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:50:18 am by CraigHB »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 03:03:16 am »
I think the 400 mV range reads from 0-399.9 mV with a resolution of 0.1 mV. Likewise current from 0-399.9 uA with a resolution of 0.1 uA. That seems comparable to the ExTech.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 04:32:29 am »
Though a bit more expensive than the either the Extech or Klien, you might want to take a look at Agilent's offerings right now as they're offering a Cash Back Promotion <really a rebate, as it's a check, as it's not included at checkout> (http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/editorial.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=2060152&nid=-34618.0&id=2060152). Price wise, the U1242B might be worth a look if you're not set on the IP67 rating (quick search shows ~$221+ s/h before promo).

It was just the push I needed to convince me to give the U1252B a go due to the bang-for-the-buck factor (EEVblog and the forum helped immensely due to the lack of product history, and it came down to cost in the end). Not had it long, but I'm quite satisfied with it so far.

Hope this helps, and good luck.  :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 06:00:24 am »
Can you post photos?
Extech read this forum, I'm sure they'd be keen to know about the issues.

Dave.

Offline Greg J

• Regular Contributor
  • Hi there
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 06:12:20 am »
Oh dear, I was pondering whether to get that meter or not myself.
Please post some photos, if you may.

--
Take It EV

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 07:06:07 am »
If you want to go back to a 400 series meter, the EX430 is on sale at Radio Shack for $70 right now.  Seems to be a good price for one (I don't know if the meter is any better than your EX520, however).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 09:01:44 am »
Well, on paper, the EX520 is a better meter than than any of the 400 series.  It has .09% DCV accuracy compared to .3% for the 400 series.  Accuracies are similarly better in the other modes.  It has a 6000 count display in comparison to the 4000 count display of the 400 series.  It has a 1mF limit on capacitance measurement compared to 100uF for the 400 series.  That was the shortcoming I ran into most.  Then there's the 500 series IP67 rating which is a good thing to have.

I thought the EX420 was a great meter for what I paid for it, around $75 IIRC.  However, I need a better meter than what the 400 series has to offer.  I was actually looking at upgrading for some time before I accidentally killed the one I had.

If Extech wants to make it right, I suppose that's fine.  Maybe I was just unlucky and got a monday morning special.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to look into that even if they are willing (though I might have to if the vendor gives me trouble on returning it).  I need a new meter right now.

On paper, the EX520 has the accuracy and range for the price I was looking for, it's what I wanted.  I would have been perfectly happy with it barring the defects I listed in the OP.  It's a drag because now I have all this hassle and I just wanted to get a better meter quickly so I could forge ahead on my project.  At this point, I'm off to send an email to the vendor to see about returning it.

Oh, I'd post some photos, but my camera broke down recently and I haven't had a chance to replace it.  I seem to be having a wave of equipment failures.  My camera, then my meter, now today my phone died.  What's up with that.  There's gremlins in my stuff, I tell ya.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:11:39 am by CraigHB »

Offline Extech

• Contributor
    • Planet Extech
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 09:35:11 pm »
Craig, Oh the horror indeed!  

I sincerely apologize that here, after being a happy Extech user for quite some time, that you had such a negative experience with our EX520. I appreciate your description of the problems you found. It's clear this meter was way beyond acceptable in numerous ways and it should have never made it out the door.

I can't imagine the disappointment, especially after an expedited delivery from our distributor, in getting a meter that put a dead stop on the project you were eager to move forward with.

Our commitment is to ensure our customers, especially long-time members of Planet Extech, are happy with our testers and meters, and that they can expect consistent quality from one meter to the next. We would like an opportunity to make it right with you and hope that we can restore the confidence in Extech you previously had with your trusty, longtime friend, the EX420.

I've tried to reach out to you today and hope we can connect to get this resolved expediently and beyond your satisfaction!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 11:25:38 pm »
Wow, I've never had a manufacturer take that kind of initiative to respond to a problem with a product I've had.  I even got a phone call.  That's impressive customer service. 

Sorry I was out today and couldn't return your call.  That's a real drag I missed it.  I feel much better though.  Was feeling rather screwed on this deal before.  I can just limp by with the meter I have until we can sort this thing out.

I would be quite happy if I could just get a meter with no defects.  Like I said, the meter is perfect for me barring the issues I ran into.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 11:44:03 pm »
Oh dear, I was pondering whether to get that meter or not myself.
Please post some photos, if you may.

That is one opinion, I have two 520's I got of another forum member. My experience with this model has been generally positive. The construction, while not in the league of my Fluke 80 series meters, is generally very good and is excellent when compared to others in the same price category.

I'm am not questioning the experiences of the OP, but I do suggest his experience with this model is not necessarily universal or the predominant experience.  It appears Extech are making efforts to have his issues resolved, which can only be a good outcome for all concerned.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 09:42:15 am »
Just an update on my issues.

Extech got me all squared away with a new meter devoid of any defects very quickly.  I have to say, they're customer care is impressive. 

With that kind of attention to customer satisfaction, it's pretty obvious Extech puts a priority on quality.  I fully expected to get the run-around at my expense like I have with other makers when I've received defective products.

All in all, it turned out to be a positive experience and I'm happier with Extech than I was before.  If you do get unlucky and get one that falls through the cracks, Extech will set it right for you quickly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf