Author Topic: 600x 4.3" LCD microscope from eBay Factory FAIL!  (Read 1394 times)

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
600x 4.3" LCD microscope from eBay Factory FAIL!
« on: December 20, 2018, 01:00:56 pm »
I bought one of these with the metal stand.  When it arrived it did not work.  After some negotiation I got a partial refund sufficient for me to buy just the head unit.

I took the head unit apart this morning.  The lithium battery was never fitted to the unit.  There is a contact adhesive foam mount for the battery with the film still in place and there are no battery leads installed on the board.

I won't know about the sensor until I get a working unit, but the LCD display works.  Except for the LED which is a small 2 wire header,  all  the connections are fine pitch flexible cabling, so replacing the main board would be very simple.

Despite it being known at the factory that it did not work, it was packaged with all the accessories and sold to a merchant doing business on eBay.  Naturally there is no mention of the manufacturer anywhere on the package or instruction slip.

Edit: The back of the unit has a label Shenzen Gao Suo digital Co., Ltd
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:00:24 pm by rhb »

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 600x 4.3" LCD microscope from eBay Factory FAIL!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 07:32:25 pm »
Is it possible that it should work just on USB without a battery (i.e. the battery was optional in the design). What did the documentation say?

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: 600x 4.3" LCD microscope from eBay Factory FAIL!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 08:15:41 pm »
The documentation states it has a lithium battery.  As it turns out, it does work over USB using camorama on Debian 9.3, but it does not display an image on the 4.3" LCD unless the USB is *only* supplying power.

So it appears that if I install a battery it will work as advertised or else I can use it with external power source via the miniUSB port.

So I need to return some of my refund to the seller.  Rather clearly the seller was not at fault and as things stand has lost money.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf