Author Topic: Fan noise in Rigol DS1102E same as DS1052E?  (Read 7246 times)

Offline AntlabTopic starter

• Contributor
Fan noise in Rigol DS1102E same as DS1052E?
« on: February 08, 2012, 02:26:59 am »
Hi all.
I am new here, but I read a lot of post in the last days, because I would like to purchase some new equipment, so I am interested in evaluating the best alternatives.
Concerning oscilloscopes, I saw that there is a lot of information about the Rigol DS1052E, at present my first candidate.
Anyway I read the problem with the noisy fan, and at least initially I would like to avoid opening it to change the fan, in order to maintain the warranty.
So I would like to know if its bigger brother, the Rigol DS1102E has the same problem with the fan. If so, do you have any suggestion for other alternatives without fan noise problem (maybe Owon?)?

Thanks for the attention.

A.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Fan noise in Rigol DS1102E same as DS1052E?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 02:50:48 am »
The DS1102E is the same hardware as the DS1052E.

I have a DS1102E and although the fan is quite loud, I don't find it all that troubling. It's a soft sound and doesn't have any high pitched whining or screaming tones. It just settles into the background and becomes unobtrusive.

(Unlike a PC I had where the fan was a screaming monster, sounding like a cross between a jet engine and a vacuum cleaner. I felt like I wanted to take a hammer to it to shut it up. The Rigol fan is nothing like that, in fact it might even lull you to sleep.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:27:40 am by IanB »

Offline electrode

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 03:18:42 am »
I've never understood the noise complaints of the Rigol DS1052E. That said, I did get mine fairly recently (~7 months ago), so the design may have changed. The fan noise is a constant, quiet sound.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 11:26:28 am »
Thank you IanB and electrode for the answers.
I was asking about the noisy fan because I read here and on other sites variuos complaints about the issue, so I was worried. But your opinions are reassuring, I will probably go for the Rigol, I only hope it will not help me to sleep too much   :)

Thanks, ciao.

A.

Offline RCMR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 07:57:51 am »
Same here -- the fan in mine can be heard but it's not intrusive.

However, load up the big IBM server in the corner of my office and you really know what fan-noise is all about!

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 10:56:43 am »
However, load up the big IBM server in the corner of my office and you really know what fan-noise is all about!

Hi RCMR, thanks for the answer.
I fully understand  you, sometimes at work is impossible to avoid really noisy equipment. It is just one of the reasons that lead me to try, at least at home, to put particular attention to silent hardware. My newest PC is very quiet, both for the case and for the choice of fans. Now, considering the purchase of a new oscilloscope, I would avoid to vanify that benefit  :) The answers in this thread are giving condifence luckily, so I plan to order the Rigol quite soon.
Thanks, ciao.

A.

Offline mianchen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:27:17 am »

Hi RCMR, thanks for the answer.
I fully understand  you, sometimes at work is impossible to avoid really noisy equipment. It is just one of the reasons that lead me to try, at least at home, to put particular attention to silent hardware. My newest PC is very quiet, both for the case and for the choice of fans. Now, considering the purchase of a new oscilloscope, I would avoid to vanify that benefit  :) The answers in this thread are giving condifence luckily, so I plan to order the Rigol quite soon.
Thanks, ciao.

A.

Got my 1102E today from Batronix Germany...fast delivery (to UK)...but the fan IS indeed very noisy, especially when I sit this thing in a corner of my tiny bench -  the noise is amplified by at least an order of magnitude  :'( well I guess I have to put up with it until I can mod it or have more money to buy a quieter one

Offline Neutron7

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 01:25:42 pm »
I put a quieter fan in. not recommended for hot climates with no AC! (i use it in a music room so the noise was unacceptable).
 Its really easy to get at but the fan uses a different connector than most pc fans, so you need to get the tools out. (and it voids the warranty, but i bought mine from china, so i doubt i would have any luck with a warranty anyways)

Offline AlphZeta

• Regular Contributor
    • Kerry D. Wong
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 02:17:48 pm »
I have a DS1102E and although the fan is quite loud, I don't find it all that troubling.

Among my four computers, power supplies, basement dehumidifier, the DS1052E fan noise is least of my issue, I can barely hear it when it is on even though it is probably considered loud by some people's standard  :P. Anyway, that's what a workshop supposed to be -- a little bit noisy -- in my opinion. The constant background noise doesn't bother me a bit.  8)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 06:25:59 pm »
I have a DS1102E and although the fan is quite loud, I don't find it all that troubling.

Among my four computers, power supplies, basement dehumidifier, the DS1052E fan noise is least of my issue, I can barely hear it when it is on even though it is probably considered loud by some people's standard  :P. Anyway, that's what a workshop supposed to be -- a little bit noisy -- in my opinion. The constant background noise doesn't bother me a bit.  8)

Indeed! A real man's workshop is usually VERY noisy ... filled with Megadeth and the sorts
Especially when it's DREMEL time

Offline mianchen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 08:46:20 pm »

Indeed! A real man's workshop is usually VERY noisy ... filled with Megadeth and the sorts
Especially when it's DREMEL time

I don't mind the noise of Dremel too much, just don't like the mess. Making a dedicated Dremel area in my shed or garage away from my clean and tidy lab is always on the list of things to do.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf