Author Topic: Fiber Optic Equipment: Cleaver, Splicer, and More  (Read 1153 times)

Offline LL0rdTopic starter

• Contributor
Fiber Optic Equipment: Cleaver, Splicer, and More
« on: April 02, 2024, 07:15:03 pm »
Hello everyone,

I've been working with Cat 5/6/7 cables for the past decade and recently upgraded to 10 GbE, incorporating some fiber cables. I'm now interested in delving deeper into fiber technology, such as FTTR. Rather than using pre-made cables, I want to splice my own OM3/4/5 open-end cables with the specific connectors I require.

However, I'm uncertain about the necessary equipment.

The technicians who installed my fiber internet used a Komshine FX39 machine, priced around $1k. Reviews suggest it might not be the best choice.

Others recommend professional-grade machines, like those from Sumitomo, which can cost between $10-15k. They argue that anything cheaper is subpar and ineffective.

I'm willing to invest in quality equipment, with a budget of $2-3k, up to a maximum of $5k. $10-15k is beyond my financial reach.

Could anyone advise on the essential equipment for splicing my own fiber cables? Thanks in advance!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: Fiber Optic Equipment: Cleaver, Splicer, and More
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 08:40:11 pm »
Do you want to splice pigtails (short piece of fiber with a connector already installed) to a cable with multiple fibers (usually in a splice cassette) or install connectors on a duplex patch cable?

Offline dobsonr741

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 03:21:50 am »
I opted for field installable connectors, saving the expoxy and polishing steps. A cleaver and a laser continuity test is still a must, and a proper tool to strip.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 04:23:25 am »
Do you want to splice pigtails (short piece of fiber with a connector already installed) to a cable with multiple fibers (usually in a splice cassette) or install connectors on a duplex patch cable?

Honestly, I don't know. I thought, that installing connectors isn't a thing any more. Especially on a 9 micron single mode fiber. But now I found some connectors. But they are very expensive. About 10 USD a piece. Where a Pigtail just costs around 1-2 USD.

I also didn't see anyone in field installing a connector. Most technicians splice pigtails onto the installation cable. And I just saw the installation video for a 9 micron connector. And it seemed to be even more complicated, then to splice a pigtail.

I don't know, currently I would like to splice a pigtail, because it seems to be simpler and more cost effective in the long run. (Not for myself, but if I use the gained knowledge for work)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 11:04:20 am »
IIRC, 12voltvids made a few videos about installing connectors on singlemode fiber for FTTH (part of his day job). Regarding pigtails, you wouldn't use them for patch cables since they are more fragile (thin sheath). They are put into a protection box with a passthrough coupler for plugging in a patch cable. BTW, OM3/4/5 implies multimode.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 11:39:24 am »
Here's a fairly entertaining ground up video on fiber cleaving and fusion splicing. I think he's using a Far Eastern kit but it looks pretty good...

EDIT:I think it's an OFS-960S splicer.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 11:56:02 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline dobsonr741

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 06:22:16 pm »
I bought these. The included cleaver does the job. I do not make patch cables, those are cheap on FS.com

10pcs LC MM Fiber Optic Quick... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CYQCGD9

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 08:04:15 pm »
EDIT:I think it's an OFS-960S splicer.

Thank you for your Answer. The splicer is actually called AI-9 and can be found on aliexpress. It costs there "just" 400-500 USD. Now let's take FX39 machine, I mentioned in my first posting. It costs around 1k USD. And here is the Amazon Product listing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LTZTCG1

The reviews of the product are not really good. So what can I expect from a device, that is even cheaper? That's why I'm asking for help. Maybe from some one, who is actually using this devices. Or I just buy the FX39 Device with the hope, that the installers of my fiber connection did know, that they were doing. And I have a proof, that the device is actually working.

Offline connectTek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 11:32:05 am »
I have  the AI-9, ive been using it for 2 years now, done about 200 splices OM3,OM4 and OS1.
Works great. Higly recommend.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf