Author Topic: FTDI driver kills fake FTDI FT232??  (Read 946951 times)

Offline e100

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FTDI driver kills fake FTDI FT232??
« Reply #1750 on: July 09, 2016, 02:59:21 pm »
Does any know how the latest version (2.12.18.0 or 2.12.16) of the driver deals with fake chips?
I checked several of my one and two year old Chinese sourced board expecting to brick or see a "non genuine" message or something, but they are all working fine.

Out of curiosity, how many different fakes are there? Are there fakes of fakes?, Are there distinct families of fakes or are they all derived from a common original fake? Are the fakes being actively updated to counter the updates to the driver? 

Mike

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1751 on: July 09, 2016, 05:24:09 pm »
Avoid FTDI,  that is the right path

Offline hasithvm

• Contributor
« Reply #1752 on: July 12, 2016, 10:03:12 pm »
So, a lot of these issues were due to the chance of getting a counterfeit chip... well what if you only purchased genuine chips from Mouser, that to your dismay, respond with the "NON GENUINE DEVICE FOUND!" response?! I was "lucky" enough to get these! (date code 1550-C D5657501 if it matters),  FTDI's response to mouser (seems to be a standard one):

"As a consequence of the R chip device success, it has become necessary to extend the chip identifier string by an extra bit to allow for the higher volumes. In completing this update, the driver also required a change to accommodate the revised string length. This driver fix has now been implemented in version 2.12.16.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%20v2.12.16%20WHQL%20Certified.zip

We acknowledge that driver updates may not be appropriate or possible in some cases and would like to take this opportunity to allow customers to return affected devices under RMA to be replaced."

So yes, fantastic, genuine chips (with certain driver versions) come up as counterfeit. Yes, its confirmed that the latest driver works (but now i need to inform all customers with older drivers to update to the latest), but this is just another nail in the coffin for FTDI. Hopefully the chips work fine in Windows XP (with old v2.08 or whatever drivers)/Android.

FTDI: Drivers so secure, they won't work with our own hardware!

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1753 on: July 12, 2016, 10:31:31 pm »
Avoid FTDI,  that is the right path

Yep, when I was in the market for a USB to serial chip I looked elsewhere after hearing about the FTDIgate and all that.  Found the Microchip MCP 2221, it's actually a pretty nice chip, it has other misc features like a few gpio pins and can also do HID and i2c.   I have not looked into any of those features yet, I'm still a newbie myself at electronics, but it's nice to know they're there.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1754 on: July 12, 2016, 11:09:44 pm »
Silabs CP 2102 another option

Offline batteksystem

• Regular Contributor
    • My ebay store
« Reply #1755 on: September 20, 2016, 11:07:05 am »
Glad that I never use FTDI in the first place. Microchip USB MCU is another choice (like PIC18F4550)

Online bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1756 on: September 22, 2016, 09:16:10 am »
This could be coincidence or unrelated but we have just had 3 Barth PLCs fail with a comms error, the PLC works fine with the previous program but when trying to update it just says "iThok-RS232: Error write data ti", the virtual COM port that was previously there dissapears. Barth are a low end PLC but are a German company distributed by RS Components. Inside the PLC I can see the FTDI chip. The first unit ran 2 weeks, the 2nd ran 2 days and the 3rd for 1 day.

If its the case that some fakes have gotten into the supply chain and causing this problem (from what I read here they dont fry them just ignore them now) what drivers can be used to read the fakes? (if indeed they are fake... no evidence for that yet).

Offline batteksystem

• Regular Contributor
    • My ebay store
« Reply #1757 on: September 22, 2016, 10:12:27 am »
Never use FTDI before, glad that I don't need to use them.

Online bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1758 on: September 22, 2016, 03:54:46 pm »
This could be coincidence or unrelated but we have just had 3 Barth PLCs fail with a comms error, the PLC works fine with the previous program but when trying to update it just says "iThok-RS232: Error write data ti", the virtual COM port that was previously there dissapears. Barth are a low end PLC but are a German company distributed by RS Components. Inside the PLC I can see the FTDI chip. The first unit ran 2 weeks, the 2nd ran 2 days and the 3rd for 1 day.

If its the case that some fakes have gotten into the supply chain and causing this problem (from what I read here they dont fry them just ignore them now) what drivers can be used to read the fakes? (if indeed they are fake... no evidence for that yet).

That's easy.  Replace Windows with Linux.  FTDI drivers are built into the Kernel, and there is none of this "clones vs. monopoly" bullshit, so it should "Just Work".

Friends don't let friends design anything industrial using any Windows O/S ...

If you can't change the O/S at this stage of the game, then get your supplier to fix it-- (it should be under warranty)-- replace the board(s) that have the clone chips in them with boards that have FTDI chips in them.

We got the issue sorted, nothing to do with FTDI chip in the end. Something weird deep in the .ini file causing an issue as we were pushing the little PLC a bit hard. We got it sorted with some good tech support from Barth and pro-sign.de so thumbs up for them.

Thumbs down as well for FTDI anyway.

Offline 3roomlab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1759 on: November 02, 2016, 12:29:57 pm »
just a general question, does FTDI still continue to brick CHINA FTDI products?
cos i just bought some FTDI equipped stuff from CHINA and the supplied driver is not working, i am contemplating to use the actual FTDI  :scared: driver  ...  or does anyone have a CHINA version driver like v2.12.14 i could "borrow" ...  :P

Offline crispytato

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1760 on: November 02, 2016, 12:43:19 pm »
I'm pretty sure that new drivers don't brick the chips, they just won't readout data correctly. http://hackaday.com/2016/02/01/ftdi-drivers-break-fake-chips-again/

The following users thanked this post: 3roomlab

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf