Products > Other Equipment & Products

FTDI drivers totally crash my PC

(1/23) > >>

Fungus:
I'm just working with one of those new ESP8266 Wifi modules. I've got it connected to an Arduino Mega along with an FTDI USB-to-serial adapter (which checks out as "Genuine FTDI") for debug output.

The module is on a little adapter I made with a 3.3V regulator, reset button and level shifting (it's all 3.3V).

Here's a picture of the setup:

Anyway, the problem: When I hit the reset button on the Wifi module my adapter my PC completely locks up. I have to hit the reset button to get it back again. If I use the official Arduino USB-to-Serial adapter (Mega16U2 based, see picture) then there's no problem at all. I can reset all day long.

I have no idea why it crashes. The FTDI adapter isn't connected directly to the Wifi module, it goes via the Arduino Mega. Is it a burst of radio waves from the Wifi Module trashing the FTDI chip? I dunno but all the Arduino stuff survives just fine. Even is it was that, there's no reason to lock up the PC.

FTDI's whining about their "quality" drivers that everybody else is 'stealing' from them? Pull the other one, it's got bells on it!

Yet another reason for me to not buy any more FTDI product.

TheRevva:
While I don't intend ever using an FTDI chip again, I'd suggest you look again at your own pic...
To my untrained eyes, you have several BEAUTIFUL antennae in that pic and, in combination with a bit of 'ground shift' due to cable resistance, could possibly even result in some SCR latchup.
OTOH, if your pic had shown a very well connected low impedance ground and shielded setup, I'd begin to get a wee bit more skeptical.
Furthermore, you haven't even shown us the PC that all this gear was supposedly hooked up to...
Any chance that there was a 'dangling antenna or two' involved that could have picked up say a 2.4GHz signal?

Quite some time ago I had a client who was a 'compulsive tinkerer'.  He regularly ran his desktop with the side cover off (despite it being 'ill advised' to have such an abnormal airflow).  Oh yeah, he'd also overclocked it to the max too...  His complaint - Every time he switched on the WiFi access point, his system would freeze.
When I told him to put the side back on, the 'problem' miraculously vanished... GO FIGURE!
(SOMETHING inside the case was picking up the 2.4GHz WiFi signal and causing mayhem.  It wasn't worth wasting my time to analyse WHAT was acting as the receiver though.  Given that it was an older FULL SIZE ATX MoBo, I'm willing to bet that several PCB traces were beautiful 1/4 wave and / or 1/2 wave antennae)

dannyf:

--- Quote ---Yet another reason for me to not buy any more FTDI product.
--- End quote ---

It is always much easier to blame others.

It is always much more beneficial to you to not do that, however.

leppie:
Seen and heard of these issues with some USB ports, mostly the 3.0 kind, but I have seen it on my PC acting weird on USB 2.0 ports too (was with STLink and AtMega U in my case).

Playing with different ports, I finally got it working without issue.

retrolefty:

--- Quote ---Anyway, the problem: When I hit the reset button on the Wifi module my adapter my PC completely locks up. I have to hit the reset button to get it back again. If I use the official Arduino USB-to-Serial adapter (Mega16U2 based, see picture) then there's no problem at all. I can reset all day long.

I have no idea why it crashes. The FTDI adapter isn't connected directly to the Wifi module, it goes via the Arduino Mega. Is it a burst of radio waves from the Wifi Module trashing the FTDI chip? I dunno but all the Arduino stuff survives just fine. Even is it was that, there's no reason to lock up the PC.

--- End quote ---

I see only two wires from the mega to the FTDI module, if send and receive wires, where is the required ground wire?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version