Author Topic: fume extractor recommendations  (Read 1074 times)

Offline RaxTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
fume extractor recommendations
« on: April 10, 2024, 11:12:27 pm »
I've had a scare with some (luckily not so) evil fumes at my soldering bench and am now looking to get some peace of mind and set up a proper exhaust with solid filtering. I really need good sleep factor and to avoid any possibilities of a scare in the future. There's no 100% safety with anything, but I'd like to get as close to that as I can. I don't have unlimited funds, so that's the other end of the range of possibilities.

What are some recommended units? What types to look for (desktop? some other format?) What sort of filtering? (I imagine HEPA is a must) Any other pertinent recommendations?

Due to where I live, units typically available on AMZ are easier to get - just to dial in a bit the recommendations per my location and ease to source a certain thing.

Thank you!

Offline RaxTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: fume extractor recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 12:07:37 am »
Before I get beaten up for this - I have been doing some reading on this forum and haven't stopped. But maybe the specifics of my request can draw some pinpointed input and not waste anyone's time.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 11:13:01 am »
Worked in electronics since 1950s, with lead solder 60/40, 63/37, and never used any precautions.

At 77 still going strong!

Jon window exhaust fan $25..50

4" electronic fan like Rotron, NMB with HEPA filter.

We use Hakko fume extractores.

Dont worry be happy!

J

Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 02:00:29 pm »
If you have a convenient window to exhaust through I wouldn't bother with filters, blow it outside with an inline fan and you don't have to think about how good your filter is.

A good variable speed EC motor 4" duct fan can be had under $100. E.g. https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-CLOUDLINE-LITE-A4/dp/B09FYK6Z3R/ the rest is hardware store stuff.

Offline RaxTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 02:06:58 pm »
If you have a convenient window to exhaust through I wouldn't bother with filters, blow it outside with an inline fan and you don't have to think about how good your filter is.

I don't. That's one of the problems. I have to figure something recirculating, but still well filtering and trapping this stuff.

Offline bill_c

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 08:33:00 pm »
I have a wet/dry vac outside with a pipe through the wall.  I connect hose inside to remove smoke, clean the floor, etc. and its very quiet inside. Kinda like a cheap version of central vac.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 09:31:21 pm »
Before I get beaten up for this - I have been doing some reading on this forum and haven't stopped. But maybe the specifics of my request can draw some pinpointed input and not waste anyone's time.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/jbc-fae1-kit1-fume-extractor-opinions/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/is-there-a-cheapcompact-fume-extractor-better-than-a-bare-120-mm-fan/

Cheap: vevor 150W extractor $170 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006187279385.html
Quality: hakko or weller or some other high tier brand.

If you use it a lot look at the replacement filter costs and lifespan as those will be important, if its just occasional hobby use, it doesnt really matter.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline RaxTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 06:24:50 pm »
Cheap: vevor 150W extractor $170 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006187279385.html

Is this a known brand? Asking as I'm not familiar with it. It does seem to ship free to the US, otherwise for me aliexpress is typically not the best option. Amazon has a ton of similar units for a similar price, but I'm not sure of their quality either. A good quality/price ratio unit per actual users testimony is the reason I posted, as my search through the forum didn't return much usable stuff on that regard.

Quality: hakko or weller or some other high tier brand.

If you use it a lot look at the replacement filter costs and lifespan as those will be important, if its just occasional hobby use, it doesnt really matter.

Good point, I provisionally went for a lower cost unit on Amazon - one of the desktop 3 stage filter ones (and I assume the main difference between those and the ones I mention before is the size and probably thickness of the filters and maybe the airlfow?) - and I was not happy to see that the HEPA filter costs almost as much as the unit itself. The majority of my bench time doesn't consist of soldering, so this will not be used very heavily.

Most of my other units are Pace, so I'd probably go for that brand name if going for a serious unit, but it's not in my affordability range at this time.

The reason I chose this cheap three stage desktop system is that I think it will be better than nothing. Of course, the risk is it'll simply recirculate the fumes, but some level of filtering will occur. Once I get it, I can at least evaluate its quality somewhat and get a better sense of what works in my workspace.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2024, 09:18:44 pm »
You'll want to link or show some photos of the amazon one so we know what you are talking about.

Vevor is a known brand yes, but on the really low end. I wouldn't say their stuff is quality but they generally support and warranty their products.
Whereas random amazon sellers might provide no support and post outright lies in the description.

Offline RaxTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2024, 01:16:07 pm »
You'll want to link or show some photos of the amazon one so we know what you are talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D1C27SK7

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2024, 09:07:01 pm »
On the up-side it appears to be using a brushless centrifugal fan which is good.

But the power adapter shown is not UL listed. The filters could be garbage or could be ok, no way to tell from the photos (eg weight of the carbon filter).
Also a bunch of lies and misinformation in their listing, but thats just marketing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf