Author Topic: Genuine Hakko FX-888D?  (Read 26642 times)

Offline sanchaz12Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Genuine Hakko FX-888D?
« on: August 15, 2015, 09:08:43 am »
Hello Everyone,

To start off, I'm sorry that this is maybe the millionth Hakko FX-888(D) thread but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Currently I'm in the market for a good soldering station, and of course couldn't get away to look at the Hakko FX-888D.
I stumbled upon this eBay seller who apparently sells the genuine Hakko: eBay auction: #201405708758
As many people know it is hard to find a decent priced unit here in Europe (or The Netherlands where I live they sell for €160,-). But the one form eBay will cost me €114,- delivered form Latvia.

Aside from that I also considered other units within my budget (around €120,-)
  • Ersa i-Con Pico, €122,- delivered from Amazon.de
  • Aoyue 9376, €82,- delivered from eleshop.nl
  • Aoyue 3210, €92,- delivered from eleshop.nl

The Ersa-Con Pico seems to be better specced (80W), but I've seen other posts here where people say the build quality of the iron is just so-so (plastic threaded tip screw mount), and it's not ESD-safe. I know the Ersa i-Con Nano has metal screw parts in the iron and is ESD safe, but both the station set itself and replacement parts are not in my budget (Station set is €178,- delivered, replacement iron is €144,- :wtf:)

Both the Aoyues don't really convince me in terms of the build quality, reviewers tend to criticize the cheap plastics and low quality materials.

In the end I'm looking for a high quality unit which will last me at least 15 years or so, to do any kind of hobby-grade soldering (not specifically lead-free tough).

If someone could only tell me what my best bet is here in Europe I already would be a happy man :).

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Genuine Hakko FX-888D?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 09:37:10 am »
I wouldn't buy anything labeled "Hakko" from ebay... Regardless what the seller says... You may very likely end up with a fake... For us Europeans, the cheapest source for a genuine FX-888D seems to be Batterfly from Italy:

http://www.batterfly.com/shop/hakko_fx-888d
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:05:53 pm by continuo »

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 09:38:42 am »
One thing that says it "might" be genuine is the base of the iron holder, it has the Hakko design for the sponge water well and not the flat design most copies have
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 09:47:41 am »
http://www.datalog.co.uk/browse/detail.php/CompanyNumber/08603648/CompanyName/SEMICOM+LTD

http://www.bizdb.co.uk/company/semicom-ltd-08603648/

Having done a quick google check for fakes and this company  can't find any complaints, and it looks legit as a business.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 09:54:17 am »
The Ersa-Con Pico seems to be better specced (80W), but I've seen other posts here where people say the build quality of the iron is just so-so (plastic threaded tip screw mount), and it's not ESD-safe. I know the Ersa i-Con Nano has metal screw parts in the iron and is ESD safe, but both the station set itself and replacement parts are not in my budget (Station set is €178,- delivered, replacement iron is €144,- :wtf:)
Hakko probably is genuine, here is their  website, Batterfly have discount on 888D too (maybe someone with the sane mine appeared at hakko marketing department). http://www.semicom.lv/Instrumenti_Ra%C5%BE_iek%C4%81rtas/Lod%C4%81muri_piederumi/Lod%C4%93%C5%A1anas_stacijas/Genuine_HAKKO_FX_888D_soldering_station_with_iron_holder_sponge_and_brass_wool_1965536_0.html
AFAIK i-CON pico have the heater connected to internal ground, so you should be able to modify it for being (almost) ESD safe. Change the cable and connect ground to earth wire. Aoyuo is a joke compared to ERSA, plastics it is made of, unlikely to be ESD safe too. 888D also don't compare well with ERSA. Nano heating element is the same as in more expensive I-CON stations, hence the price for the replacement iron. Actually price for NANO seem to be dropped to what it did cost previously. Also I don't know why you would want to change soldering iron, it's very unlikely to fail.
i-tool compared to Hakko clone iron (same size as original)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 09:54:57 am »
http://www.datalog.co.uk/browse/detail.php/CompanyNumber/08603648/CompanyName/SEMICOM+LTD

Having done a quick google check for fakes and this company  can't find any complaints, and it looks legit as a business.
It's not UK company, probably they registered UK business for some legal reasons.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:00:32 am by wraper »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 09:59:40 am »
Thanks! Indeed I checked Batterfly for the Hakko FX-888D, but for me the total costs including tax and shipping would be €140,- which is a bit on the expensive side for a Hakko to me. On the other hand I've seen the reputation and customer service at Batterfly is excellent and they are listed on the Hakko official distributors list. I have sent a message to the eBay seller to ask if it is really genuine, and if I can return it (on their cost perhaps) when it turns out to be a fake. I'm curious, because if this really is a genuine Hakko it would be a great deal not only for me! I'll keep you posted on this.

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 10:07:08 am »

It's not UK company, probably they registered UK business for some legal reasons.

I never said it was a UK company, merely that I had looked it up and it seems legit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 10:24:30 am »
Hakko probably is genuine, here is their  website, Batterfly have discount on 888D too (maybe someone with the sane mine appeared at hakko marketing department). http://www.semicom.lv/Instrumenti_Ra%C5%BE_iek%C4%81rtas/Lod%C4%81muri_piederumi/Lod%C4%93%C5%A1anas_stacijas/Genuine_HAKKO_FX_888D_soldering_station_with_iron_holder_sponge_and_brass_wool_1965536_0.html
AFAIK i-CON pico have the heater connected to internal ground, so you should be able to modify it for being (almost) ESD safe. Change the cable and connect ground to earth wire. Aoyuo is a joke compared to ERSA, plastics it is made of, unlikely to be ESD safe too. 888D also don't compare well with ERSA. Nano heating element is the same as in more expensive I-CON stations, hence the price for the replacement iron. Actually price for NANO seem to be dropped to what it did cost previously. Also I don't know why you would want to change soldering iron, it's very unlikely to fail.
i-tool compared to Hakko clone iron (same size as original)
To me it looks like that is the i-Tool Nano (with metal threading to hold the tip screw) vs the i-Con Pico which uses the i-Tool Pico (with plastic threading).

From another thread I read the plastic might not be durable in comparison to the i-Tool Nano
See the picture in this thread:https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ersa-icon-pico-vs-icon-nano!-is-esd-protection-important-soldering-station/msg448964/#msg448964

I'm not sure if I should take this one complaint I've read in consideration, but it may prove to be true in the future.

Back to your actual information; I wonder if I really need an ESD-safe iron (or mod a non-ESD safe one). The most sensitive components I soldered so far are transistors and never had any problems so far, but I may solder IC's and what not in the future. Better to be safe than sorry I think in this case...

For reference:

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 12:02:23 pm »
To me it looks like that is the i-Tool Nano
It's i-tool, not i-tool nano. I just shown the size difference (all kinds of i-tools are of the same size).
Anyway, I change tips a lot (my I-CON 2 is 6 years old ) and nothing happened with a plastic thread in tip holder. Guess plastic it hearing element shouldn't be any worse.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:09:09 pm by wraper »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 12:22:43 pm »
Back to your actual information; I wonder if I really need an ESD-safe iron (or mod a non-ESD safe one). The most sensitive components I soldered so far are transistors and never had any problems so far, but I may solder IC's and what not in the future. Better to be safe than sorry I think in this case...

Always better to be safe than sorry.  Get ESD safe and don't worry about it as long as your workspace is ESD safe also.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 12:47:50 pm »
It's i-tool, not i-tool nano. I just shown the size difference (all kinds of i-tools are of the same size).
Anyway, I change tips a lot (my I-CON 2 is 6 years old ) and nothing happened with a plastic thread in tip holder. Guess plastic it hearing element shouldn't be any worse.

Glad to hear it doesn't wear as quickly as I expected. But I'm still confused about the irons as the linked irons on the ERSA website are different. model no. 0120CDK for the i-Con Nano and 0130CDK for the i-Con Pico.

It shouldn't matter that much I understand, but still...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:59:01 pm by sanchaz12 »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 06:37:32 am »

Glad to hear it doesn't wear as quickly as I expected. But I'm still confused about the irons as the linked irons on the ERSA website are different. model no. 0120CDK for the i-Con Nano and 0130CDK for the i-Con Pico.

It shouldn't matter that much I understand, but still...
The iron used for the Nano is grounded at the tip (ESD compliant), while the Pico isn't.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 08:37:31 am »

The iron used for the Nano is grounded at the tip (ESD compliant), while the Pico isn't.

That's what at least justifies the price difference (almost double?!)...

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 09:13:54 am »
As far as I know it's essentially a rebadged i-tool from their professional line, with the same 150W heating element and motion sensor (though not used in the nano). The pico wand seems to be a cut down version for hobbyists, build to a lower price.
Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 09:41:46 am »

As far as I know it's essentially a rebadged i-tool from their professional line, with the same 150W heating element and motion sensor (though not used in the nano). The pico wand seems to be a cut down version for hobbyists, build to a lower price.
From what I've read the Pico iron does not have a motion sensor, but when the station itself detects a drop of 5 degrees C it will resume from sleep mode, but I could be wrong. Indeed it looks like a cut-down version of a more expensive iron.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 09:44:57 am »
I got my Hakko 888 for $120 from ebay.

It works great and from everything i can see looks legit.
So, if it's fake, it's such a good fake to be just as good. IMHO.

If its fake they went to an unusually extreme amount of effort to make it identical.
All the parts of the station came sealed in hakko branded plastic bags and all the parts feel to use top quality plastic.

I've had it for 2 years now and apart from blowing a fuse once (dunno why) it has worked perfectly and solders effortlessly
I would buy another in a heartbeat, though i'd probably use the same seller.

Edit: Seller was plc-expert but they dont seem to be selling them any more.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:51:47 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 09:51:52 am »
It could be a genuine unit originally intended for the Chinese market. I'm just not willing to take the risk that it may fail prematurely and cost me more money in the future. Just my opinion.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 10:13:38 am »

That's what at least justifies the price difference (almost double?!)...
There are a few other differences as others have pointed out, which affect the features that are available between them (i.e. affect setback & auto-sleep features available on the more expensive Nano). And it's accomplished by changing a relatively small number of parts (systems engineering).

Regarding fake vs. real Hakko FX-888D stations, there's at least one comparison thread (Fake Hakko FX-888D vs genuine - photo comparison & short video). The differences are in the details, so it can be hard to discern a fake (really need photos, video, or direct physical access to a real one). Gets a little bit easier IMHO with the FX-951 counterfeits, as they're missing the stand connection.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 10:46:43 am »
Well I just found this page containing several very high quality pictures of the genuine FX-888D where you can really see all the important bits where the fake ones use different parts/wiring methods. May be useful to someone.
http://runawaybrainz.blogspot.com/2013/03/hakko-fx-888d-solder-station-hi-res.html

Aside from that I'm still waiting for the response to my question I sent the eBay seller. If he can assure me it is the real deal and when I can send it back when it turns out to be fake I will definitely order it there.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:51:29 am by sanchaz12 »

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 05:30:04 pm »
Thanks! Indeed I checked Batterfly for the Hakko FX-888D, but for me the total costs including tax and shipping would be €140,- which is a bit on the expensive side for a Hakko to me.

Well, I just checked, the eBay offer, including shipping and vat, turns out to be ~138€... Uhummm? That's really not that much cheaper than 140 € from Batterfly? :-//
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:33:32 pm by Augustus »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 05:43:21 pm »

Thanks! Indeed I checked Batterfly for the Hakko FX-888D, but for me the total costs including tax and shipping would be €140,- which is a bit on the expensive side for a Hakko to me.

Well, I just checked, the eBay offer, including shipping and vat it turns out to be ~138€... Uhummm? That's really not that much cheaper than 140 € from Batterfly? :-//
Total costs for me are about € 114 including shipping from Latvia. (See the image). Not seen tax before on eBay, where would I be able to check that? But I think I'm not going for the HAKKO anymore, because the higher price in combination with few parts available for a decent price in Europe. I'm looking into the Ersa I-Con line now, still deciding between the Pico and the Nano.

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 05:55:26 pm »
Hmmm... You're probably right, I just got confused about the "Please remember that buyer is responsible for all import duties, taxes, and charges." annotation and thought the price is excluding vat. But that probably only applies to customers outside of the EU...   :palm:

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 06:07:48 pm »

Hmmm... You're probably right, I just got confused about the "Please remember that buyer is responsible for all import duties, taxes, and charges." annotation and thought the price is excluding vat. But that probably only applies to customers outside of the EU...   :palm:
It's a bit confusing here as the eBay listing was first in Euro and now it is in GBP. PayPal convert fees from EUR to GBP included totals around €119, so it keeps getting more. But on the website of the eBay seller (Semicom) the HAKKO is listed for €112 IIRC. That seems the same price but now with tax included. So there is a difference between their own site and the eBay listing, price wise.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 06:28:50 pm »
Aside from that I also considered other units within my budget (around €120,-)
  • Ersa i-Con Pico, €122,- delivered from Amazon.de
  • Aoyue 9376, €82,- delivered from eleshop.nl
  • Aoyue 3210, €92,- delivered from eleshop.nl

Honestly, if your time is worth anything at all, stop shopping around and order an i-Con Nano from Amazon. (Just quickly compare .de/.fr/.it, etc. -- sometimes it's cheaper on one or the other.)  You will be happy with it -- as I am with mine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf