Author Topic: GVM H3 JBC clone with three handles, a transformer-driven heater, for 136 bucks?  (Read 5798 times)

Offline drksyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
There's a new soldering station that just got released recently on Aliexpress. It's the GVM H3 soldering iron https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805958738052.html.

- includes all three T245, T210, T115 handles.
 - 70 W transformer
 - nice lcd display
 - no overshoot in temp regulation
 - brass wool with splash guard
 - holder with standby mode and even an antenna
 - similar connector for handles to JBC, looks like it could support the real handles as well
 - even the back of the iron holder has a spot to catch dripping solder, good attention to detail that a lot of Chinese clones forget about.

I mean, all three handles and a transformer? It looks too good to be true. The only downside I can see right now is the transformer secondary voltage is 12V, which is a bit low for the C245 cartridges, but it's perfectly fine for C210 and C115, and the video demonstration showed a pretty quick heat up for the C245.

This looks like a new product that was just released. Has anyone seen it? There's currently no reviews or anything online. There's not even much customer reviews on this yet. But if it can deliver what it says it does, the price to value is just amazing at 130 buck. It blows all the Aixuns out of the water. It looks better too.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 10:57:09 pm by drksy »

The following users thanked this post: Roehrenonkel

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
T245 heater resistance is around 2.4 ohms. So you'd get near 60W for that tip at 12V.
Good but I don't think it directly competes with the Aixun as they are all about maximum power, claiming 200W capable.

But if you are doing microsoldering this seems like a solid value choice. Usually manufacturers charge a large premium for their microsoldering handpieces/tips.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
I just went ahead and ordered one ill see how well it does overall compared to the 420d since currently thats my main stations at the moment.

Online ndarjo21

• Regular Contributor
I am waiting for the review. Also disassemble the unit can be a help for other

Offline thelampire

Any news on this station? Has anyone used this extensively since its release? I am in the market for something similar and don't quite want to build the axxsolder for now (nor is it in this price range).

Offline Roehrenonkel

• Regular Contributor
Hi all,

for christmas i got myself the GVM H3. It came on time, good packed and complete.
The case is a plastic, JBC has a case of aluminium-cast - as far as i can remember.

At power-on it tripped the breaker.
After a bit of hassle with the seller, i opened the case (four screws from below, one unter the sponge-holder)
to find the switch-wires at the sharp edge of the transformer with isolation damaged.
IMHO they used the wrong connectors and have no QA/final test.

Btw: the transformer looks more like a 35VA than a 70VA.
EDIT: size is 66x56x35mm³
The connectors of the handpieces don't lock properly.
/EDIT

Haven't used it much, only for small stuff.
And it's probably only intended for tiny work, when i look at the available tips.
JBC has a much broader range there.

Conclusion so far: If you get one, check it for leakage-current, or open it right away.

Merry christmas,
best regards
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 08:44:31 pm by Roehrenonkel »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Sbranky

Offline giovannirat

• Regular Contributor
I've got a GM H3 too.

My impressions so far:
+Seems good quality, well manufactured
+Works with original JBC tips
+ Professional design
+ tip earth connected
- T245 tip heat time from 20° to 320° is about 9 sec (NOT 2 sec), for 210 and 115 tips around 2 to 4 sec
- Sleep temp cannot be adjusted (cools down to 70° and lower)
- Humming transformer
- small brass wool (you can easily touch the plastic case and damage it)
- Useless USB (no firmware, no PC SW available until now, false advertisement!)
- 80W transformer questionable (size, power..)
- QC doubtful ( had a 110V label on the station case, a 220V label on the package)
- BUG: Handle without a tip in the station shows 470° (instead of "sleep" or "no tip")

« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 08:16:28 pm by giovannirat »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online ndarjo21

• Regular Contributor
Voltage from tip to earth?

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Try measuring the power consumption by something like this...
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
In an original JBC station there is probably a 130W transformer... https://www.jbctools.com/cdb-soldering-station-product-1605.html

Offline giovannirat

• Regular Contributor
Power consumption is around 60W when heating and 5,5W standby (with T245 tip).

The following users thanked this post: Hydrawerk

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
60W is rather poor.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
JBC has a case of aluminium-cast - as far as i can remember.

JBC stations used to be made of metal. My JBC AM rework stationis is made of aluminium and thick sheet steel. I have it at work.
Back in 2017 i had a JBC BD-2BA at my work and i think that it was made of cast aluminium. But today all JBC stations are probably made of plastic.
If you want a metal soldering station, you must choose from PACE, probably some of METCAL or Thermaltronics or some of Hakko like FX-838.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
60W is rather poor.

Unless they do a water test (or equivalent) and confirm its actually capping at 60W, I wouldn't trust the number. If you are just testing random joints, with some random tip, the data is near meaningless. Power up consumption may be valid, usually it would be but who knows some might implement a slow startup.

Offline bhgsmservis

Any one check is soldering tips grounded?
Any voltage on soldering tip ? (tip to ground)

Offline giovannirat

• Regular Contributor
Soldering tip is grounded

No voltage on soldering tip (to ground)

The following users thanked this post: bhgsmservis

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
Didn't seem to reach the claims of 80W.
Video (unlisted for now):
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, giovannirat

Offline bhgsmservis

@SteveyG

Nice video  :-+

Offline Sbranky

Kudos to Steve for the details in this video, and the subsequent SDG#331, always very detailed.

But I think there is something wrong in its configuration, especially in the final assembly. As you can see from his video SDG#329 the Blue and Brown transformer windings are connected on the PCB in a different sequence:

photo video Steve

2079653-0

On other videos in circulation, however, you can clearly see that the brown pair (70W) should be the one dedicated to heating the tip, but it is connected on the PCB to the input of the rectifier to obtain the power supply for the circuits, while the Blue pair (from 9W) which should be the one dedicated to the power supply is connected to the central terminal, near the power mosfets, therefore clearly inverted.

photos others

2079659-1

2079665-2

2079707-3

2079671-4

This accounts for the dramatic 8 Volt drop that Steve notes in SDG video #331 when he pulls out the handpiece and overloads the 9W Blue coil.

I believe that this station cannot compete with more famous stations on the market with C245 tips, but by connecting it correctly by inverting the outputs from 9W to 70W you should see a big difference and it should work decently. I had the opportunity to try it with c245 and c210 tips and not so bad.

In this other test video, at minute 6:57 and above all with a correct configuration of the transformer output pairs, there are three nice tests with C245, C210 and C115 tips:
https://youtu.be/6h5jQm4XzFk?t=417
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 11:21:00 am by Sbranky »

The following users thanked this post: SteveyG, thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
In this other test video, at minute 6:57 and above all with a correct configuration of the transformer output pairs, there are three nice tests with C245, C210 and C115 tips:
https://youtu.be/6h5jQm4XzFk?t=417

That is still slow heating up time for a T245, 7 or 8 seconds. But, that could just be PID loop settings so may be a non-issue for normal soldering.

Offline Sbranky

That is still slow heating up time for a T245, 7 or 8 seconds. But, that could just be PID loop settings so may be a non-issue for normal soldering.

I don't think it's the PID loop that introduces that delay, because with the C210 and C115 irons the times are the usual ones. However, I suspect that this is a compromise if you want to create a station that supports the three handpieces while having a single 13 Volt power supply for all of them.

Surely the C245 is the one that suffers the most in the heating phase with only 13 Volts, if it were powered by 24 Volts like a Jabe or an Aixun the rise would be much quicker, but with 13V this is the price to pay with that transformer 70 W which, during the welding phase, is sufficient for most jobs.

We are still talking about a $140 station, which I repeat is not bad
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 09:17:22 pm by Sbranky »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Yeah I forgot its limited to 13V, so ~60-70W max at 2.5 ohm.

Though nothing stops you from using 18-24V and then capping the duty cycle for the smaller tip sizes (C210, C115). You'd probably want to rectify so you can chop at a higher frequency, cost can go up.

There is that WEMON station that might be doing this, slightly cheaper: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006386362331.html

Looks the same on the inside?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 09:56:41 pm by thm_w »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf