Author Topic: Hakko 936 Iron Size?  (Read 6293 times)

Offline JoshuaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hakko 936 Iron Size?
« on: September 24, 2010, 04:39:27 am »
Hey everybody,

Not sure if this is the right section to ask but anyway...

I'm going to be purchasing a Hakko 936. (probable from www.Hakkousa.com)

Anyway, there's three different 'versions', a small iron, medium iron, and large iron. They're all the same price.

What would be the reccomendation for what size I should get. I plan on just doing some general electronics work. Mainly through-hole, at this time, but will eventually do SMD.

What does everybody think?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Joshua

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hakko 936 Iron Size?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:50:06 am »
I have the medium iron (the -12) and I'd consider it perfect for what you want to do. The iron comes with a 1.6mm chisel tip (900M-T-1.6D) that's pretty much perfect for all around use. I'd bought a larger version of the stock tip (900M-T-3.2D) for big stuff and a smaller version (900M-T-0.8D) for SMD work. I've used the larger one on occasion and it's worked on everything up to and including soldering four 14 gauge wires together (don't ask). The smaller one's still in it's static bag as I've yet to need it for surface mount work, though I haven't worked with anything terribly small that wasn't solder masked.

The FX-888 is the natural successor to the 936, and appears to have a few interesting additions to an already excellent design. It appears to be available everywhere except the US, I'm not sure why. Dave's done a bit on one of the live shows where he shows one off, and he may do a review on it soon. Though Hakko says the tips and irons aren't interchangeable, Dave swapped the tips out without trouble, though if I recall correctly the new iron has an extra pin in it's connector.

It might be worth trying to get an FX-888, but I guess the big question is whether it'll ever be available in the US. I'm not sure why it isn't already, but finding out may be as simple as contacting them. As many of our friends from around the world here can tell you, it's no fun to have to source expendable parts from outside your country.

Either way, if you're looking for an authorized Hakko distributor in the US I'd recommend All-Spec. They've got lower prices than HakkoUSA on just about everything, and they've got all the extra goodies like liquid flux, desoldering wick, and of course solder.

Hope that helps. :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 02:51:51 pm »
Thanks!

I've used the larger one on occasion and it's worked on everything up to and including soldering four 14 gauge wires together (don't ask).

I've been using a Portasol(I think they've been bought by Weller now) butane iron for general 'around the house' stuff. On some occasions, I've had to solder up to 12 gauge wire. Would the Hakko be able to handle that, with the correct tip, or should I just stick with the butane iron?

Thanks for the link! That's the cheapest I've seen that iron.

four 14 gauge wires together (don't ask). The smaller one's still in it's static bag as I've yet to need it for surface mount work, though I haven't worked with anything terribly small that wasn't solder masked.

The FX-888 is the natural successor to the 936, and appears to have a few interesting additions to an already excellent design. It appears to be available everywhere except the US, I'm not sure why. t be worth trying to get an FX-888, but I guess the big question is whether it'll ever be available in the US. I'm not sure why it isn't already, but finding out may be as simple as contacting them. As many of our friends from around the world here can tell you, it's no fun to have to source expendable parts from outside your country.

I was actually looking at trying to maybe get a FX-888 but couldn't find anywhere to purchase it. Maybe I'll try to get a hold of Hakko.

Also, is it just me, but whenever I post to the forum, Once I get to a certain engthy, the text I'm typing goes below the bottom of the text-entry window. It jumps up briefly everytime I type a letter, but makes it real difficult to post?

Thanks,
Joshua

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 03:05:31 pm »
I talked to (well I actually 'live chatted') with Hakko today, and they said that the FX-888 is unavailbe in the US from them, or authorized resellers. They suggested I get the FX-951, the 936 or the 937.

Joshua

Offline nyo

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 03:10:09 pm »
I have the 936-12 (medium) as well and I use it for SMD and through hole components, no complaints here.
Felipe

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 12:49:20 pm »
I've been using a Portasol(I think they've been bought by Weller now) butane iron for general 'around the house' stuff. On some occasions, I've had to solder up to 12 gauge wire. Would the Hakko be able to handle that, with the correct tip, or should I just stick with the butane iron?
Worst case I'd keep the torch around for a big job. If it's just two 12ga wires you'll probably be ok, but it depends a lot on how you try to do it. The big issue is getting the heat to the wires, as I'm fairly sure the iron can keep up with the demand so long as there's enough tip surface to transmit the heat.

Also, is it just me, but whenever I post to the forum, Once I get to a certain lengthy, the text I'm typing goes below the bottom of the text-entry window. It jumps up briefly every time I type a letter, but makes it real difficult to post?
I'm not sure about this, but I always have a few blank lines under what I'm typing until I finish a post. I can't seem to reproduce what you're describing, maybe it's a browser thing? I'm running Firefox with a half dozen addons or so.

I wonder why they can't make it available in the states? Seems odd to me, but who knows. I'd say you're probably fine with a 936, though if you can raise them on chat again I think the big question is: If they're not making the 888 available in the states, does that mean they'll still be supporting the 936 (tips, parts, etc.) or will we be pretty much stuck?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 12:52:36 pm by DJPhil »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf