Author Topic: Hakko Fr-300 desoldering tool  (Read 96695 times)

Offline gmit77

• Regular Contributor
  • !
    • Batter Fly
Re: Hakko Fr-300 desoldering tool
« Reply #150 on: January 30, 2015, 01:54:29 pm »
sent PM
Batter Fly
never stop innovating

Offline owiecc

• Frequent Contributor
    • Google scholar profile
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2015, 05:00:23 pm »
Now you tell me there is a discount code :-\.

I use mine quite often. I managed to clog up the tip two times. Both times the cleaning rod did not help. I used a drill and a hammer to unclog it. You break the drill but it is very effective.

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
  • Are you sure it's safe?
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2015, 05:12:02 pm »
If you do as mojo-chan suggests, then you should not have to need a hammer and drill to unclog it. It is a MUST that any solder gun tip is kept clean, and often. I've seen some tips get clogged with something and become near impossible to clean, but a bit of preventive maintenance goes a long way. Sure it can be a small bother to constantly stop your work to keep the tip clean, but tips are very expensive... Good drill bits are expensive also, so don't break them either.

Offline carpin

• Contributor
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2015, 03:22:08 am »
gmit77

Discount code

Grazie infinite

Offline gmit77

• Regular Contributor
  • !
    • Batter Fly
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2015, 02:45:39 pm »
Sent PM
Batter Fly
never stop innovating

Offline staze

• Frequent Contributor
  • I _might_ have a problem...
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2015, 04:42:34 am »
Got an FR-300 in September, and went to power it on today... heater element is dead. So, 5 months, less than 2 hours use time.

Have emailed Hakko about a replacement (should have a 1 year warranty). Yes, I checked the resistance... sensor reads as ~50R, heater element... 440Meg. Should be 35R. She's dead jim. Funnily, they don't even have the heater as a replacement part on their site: http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fr300_parts.html#productNav

Sadness. =( Will post when I hear back from them.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:46:20 am by staze »
“Give a man an answer, he’ll keep his job for a day. Teach a man to Google, and he’ll be employed for a lifetime”

Offline staze

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2015, 08:26:44 pm »
Heard back. They don't just ship replacement parts (sadly), but they did send me a (UPS Ground) shipping label to send in the whole unit to them and they'll diagnose and fix, or quote if there's something I did (which, I didn't) that requires repair.

Guess we'll see... always sucks to have a tool (toy) break down. =(
“Give a man an answer, he’ll keep his job for a day. Teach a man to Google, and he’ll be employed for a lifetime”

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2015, 09:05:10 pm »
Got an FR-300 in September, and went to power it on today... heater element is dead. So, 5 months, less than 2 hours use time.

The same thing happened to mine :-- last October, although I had many more than 2 hours use when it died. I got mine in the beginning of May, but like yours, there was no abuse or reason for the heater to crap out. After checking resistance, Hakko also sent me a prepaid return label for shipping  :-+. They repaired mine under warranty and it was back to me in just over a weeks time including turn-around and shipping both ways :-+.

This was the technician's comments on the repair ticket:
"Upon inspection, our technician found the following: Received dsldr tool with used N50-04 nozzle only. Upon inspection found tool powering-up but unable to heat-up due to the ceramic heater was found broken-off from the heating core. Front holder was found cracked/worn out. Found with the set temperature control at setting #2 with no adjustment to the CAL POT. Enclosure and nozzle are used and still functional - replacement is optional. Heating element and front holder will be replace in warranty. Maintenance will be provided and temperature will be adjusted at ±10°F from the set temperature. All else okay at this time."

I was hopping my trouble was just a fluke, so did not want to say anything until I saw other reports of the same thing happening. I guess it could happen two or three times without being an issue, but certainly something to keep an eye on :palm:.

Staze, please post back with Hakko's findings.

Since then I have put many more hours on the gun without further problems :-+.

Offline staze

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2015, 09:08:54 pm »

The same thing happened to mine :-- last October, although I had many more than 2 hours use when it died. I got mine in the beginning of May, but like yours, there was no abuse or reason for the heater to crap out. After checking resistance, Hakko also sent me a prepaid return label for shipping  :-+. They repaired mine under warranty and it was back to me in just over a weeks time including turn-around and shipping both ways :-+.

Makes me wonder if the initial run of heaters may have had some issue...

Mine has a date stamp of April 2014, so yeah, probably same vintage. Anyway, yes, I'll report back. Unit was never dropped (in fact, I have the "stand" on the floor and when the unit is on/hot I just place it back on the stand on the floor so it _doesn't_ fall).

Offline staze

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2015, 05:56:05 pm »
Just got confirmation they're going to fix under warranty. Sadly, I won't have it until Monday rather than Tomorrow. =(

Their repair engineer reports:

"Received dsldr tool in used condition with N50-04 nozzle only. Upon inspection found tool powering-up but with the ceramic heating element electrically open - no resistance value. Found set temperature control at 400°C and no adjustment to the CAL POT. Filter pipe is in some need of maintenance. Nozzle and nut enclosure have some usage and still functional. Heating element will be replace in warranty and temperature will be adjusted at ±10°F from the set temperature. All else okay at this time."

The "filter pipe" comment is mainly that I didn't bother to knock out the solder that was rattling around in there before sending it in. =P

So, pretty happy with Hakko. They paid for me to ship it in, and did the work for me. Sure, I could have done it myself, but I don't have a soldering iron cal setup, so I would have had no good way to calibrate it if I'd done the work myself. =) Here's hoping that this isn't a widespread issue because I love the thing. It's been brutal to not have it since I had a couple repairs waiting...

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2015, 06:08:07 pm »

"... Upon inspection found tool powering-up but with the ceramic heating element electrically open - no resistance value...  Heating element will be replace in warranty and temperature will be adjusted at ±10°F from the set temperature..."

Looks like it basically had the same problem as mine. At least they are taking good care of it and I'm hoping the newer heating elements last longer. So far mine is holding out...

Offline staze

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2015, 06:13:36 pm »

"... Upon inspection found tool powering-up but with the ceramic heating element electrically open - no resistance value...  Heating element will be replace in warranty and temperature will be adjusted at ±10°F from the set temperature..."

Looks like it basically had the same problem as mine. At least they are taking good care of it and I'm hoping the newer heating elements last longer. So far mine is holding out...

Yup. Guessing some flaw in those elements... or at least a higher failure rate than normal. Or, maybe we're just the normal failure percentage and we happen to frequent the same water cooler. =)

Wish I had more repairs so I could use the thing more... maybe if I got a real stand for it so it was on the bench all the time rather than in the case. =)

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2015, 06:23:50 pm »
... maybe if I got a real stand for it so it was on the bench all the time rather than in the case. =)

Have you seen the stand I use? See Reply #78 and #80 in this thread. You can find them cheap on ePay.

Offline staze

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2015, 06:28:13 pm »
Excellent. Even looks like some shops are selling this stand WITH the FR-300.

And $35 doesn't seem too bad. Hmm...

Thanks!

Offline staze

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2015, 06:58:28 pm »
Amazon actually has it cheaper.

My question though is weight. Some comments on Amazon say it isn't heavy enough for the 808... I never had an 808, but I've heard the 300 is lighter. Any issues with the 300 tipping, or anything like that with the 633 stand?

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2015, 08:49:07 pm »
I have used the stand with both the 808 and 300 with no problems. I did cut a small "notch" in the bottom of the plastic holder to accommodat a bit better fit of the nozzle of the FR-300 though. The nozzle now fits a little more flush and secure with the stand. There is no issue with weight between the two irons. Actually  the FR-300 I think is just a bit heavier.

Offline staze

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2015, 08:51:11 pm »
Interesting.

Just ordered one off Amazon, so we shall see. If you have a picture of the modification that would be great. Thanks again!

This also gives me a stand to stick my tip tinner tin to. (how's that for alliteration)

Offline staze

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2015, 10:41:54 pm »
holy crap, this stand is awesome. I haven't used it for my FR-300 yet, since it hasn't come back from repair quite yet, but even using it with my Hakko 936 is awesome (much better than the stock stand). Now I want to buy another one for it.... =P

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2015, 11:14:56 pm »
Staze - Make a small notch in the stand matching where the small screw protrudes from the bottom of the nozzle and the stand will be even more awesome...  :-+

Careful cutting, as the plastic can fracture easily... ask me how I know :)

Notice where I'm pointing with the probe tips.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:17:18 pm by iRad »

Offline staze

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2015, 11:16:47 pm »
Perfect. Crazy that Hakko didn't do that themselves. Wonder how a "normal" iron will fit afterward.

You use a rotary (Dremel) tool to do it, or just elbow grease?

Will do that tonight since my FR-300 is back this evening as well. =)

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2015, 12:19:45 am »
Still works fine with a standard iron. Out of hast and laziness (the dremel is out in the shed), I originally just used a diag cutter to notch away at it. Unfortunately I took too big of a snip and broke a large piece of the plastic ring off. I then had to mend it with epoxy, after that hardened I finished it off correctly with a dremel. It's not pretty, but quite functional.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:12:33 pm by iRad »

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2015, 08:05:17 pm »
Probably the easiest way to modify this hard plastic is to use a round file. To avoid marring the top of the ring, cover it with something (a few layers of duct tape, some sheet metal from an aluminum can, etc) and hold the file vertical so that it just clears the top of the ring. Once you've cut the notch in, use some sandpaper wrapped around a pencil to smooth out the edges. :)

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2015, 12:26:53 pm »
If your happy with the way it sits, then no, but it will fit more securely with the small mod.

Offline staze

• Frequent Contributor
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2015, 01:30:00 am »
iRad,

So, did you notice your FR-300 heating WAY faster than it used to with your replacement element? I got mine, and on first power up, there were a couple "pops" and "clicks" as things heated up, and I swear it was up to temp in 20 seconds or less. Also drew, at max close to 170W (plugged into Kill-a-watt). I'm not complaining at all, but damn...

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2015, 02:48:56 am »
YES I DID. I was wondering if you might have the same reaction from yours. Makes me really wonder if something was bad in some of the first production heater elements. I wrote back to Hakko about this same experience when I received mine back from repair.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf