Products > Other Equipment & Products

Hakko FR-410 pulsating hum / vibrations

(1/2) > >>

kTsAT:
Hello everybody,

I've recently purchased a Hakko FR-410 desoldering station which turned out to have a pulsating hum, also being able to feel vibrations on the case. I could return it (purchased from an official Hakko distributor in Europe) and after receiving the replacement station it also appears to have the same hum/vibration most likely coming from the transformer.
Since I've had two new stations now, both with the same problem, I am starting to wonder, if this is a bad batch or if I might have problems with mains power in my house.. I have never experienced problems like that with any other tools I've been using over the years (mainly Weller and Metcal), so I am a bit clueless what's going on. The distributor checked the unit before shipping and said it's ok, only very light noise which is normal, but the noise the stations are making at my place definitely is anything else than normal and VERY annoying.
It's quite difficult to get in touch with Hakko directly, so maybe somebody here could share his thoughts on this problem..

Thank you!

thm_w:
We don't know what loud or annoying is to you. Did you measure the dB?
Can you simply switch it off when not in use, is it that loud that when desoldering with fume extraction on, the hum is still annoying?

kTsAT:
I haven't measured the db, but recorded a short mobile phone video. The noise isn't a problem with the fume extraction running and I could of course turn the station on/off but to be honest, spending that amount of money, I don't wanna have to deal with transformer related problems from day one. I liked the performance of this station and it's definitely a good station but sadly it seems that it doesn't like the mains power at my place. I've never focused a similar problem with any of my other tools or machines in general, the only problem with transformers I've dealt with are related to devices which are a couple of decades old, and even those didn't have this noise level. I am able to return it to the distributor though and I'll either get the mx-ds1 handpiece since I've a free port on my mx5200 + an air compressor or the pace st115 (the tip selection and tip price make the pace look a bit more interesting..)

Nevertheless, here's a wetransfer link to the mobile phone recording: https://we.tl/t-HoRQrzv0it

thm_w:
Can't hear anything but its possible the microphone or my speakers aren't working at that frequency.
Its not really a transformer "problem", more some mounting/mechanical issue. Many DMM6500 had a hum/buzz reportedly. Maybe take it apart carefully, see if you spot anything.

I would just turn it off when not in use, specifically with a single switch to control all of your soldering gear and the fume extraction fan. Makes life a lot easier.
But up to you.

ygi:
Yep, that's definitely normal 50Hz transformer noise. All the crests happen at multiples of 50 and peak at 200 and 300Hz.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version