Author Topic: Took apart my Tektronix DPO4034  (Read 11019 times)

Offline allanwTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
Took apart my Tektronix DPO4034
« on: November 20, 2010, 02:18:50 am »
a
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:20:41 pm by allanw »

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
Re: Took apart my Tektronix DPO4034
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 05:07:58 am »
And the important question - did it still works when you put it back together?  ;D

alm

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 02:21:49 pm »
Thanks for the pics. Maybe the moisture sealant is to keep leakage low, so it lasts longer on the lithium cell?

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 02:51:33 pm »
Awesome, and brave! of you.  Thanks for sharing.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline allanwTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 03:37:39 pm »
b
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:20:47 pm by allanw »

alm

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 03:48:47 pm »
I wonder what the chips marked 7SB42 D9DCG are? There are 8 on my scope, but there's enough lands for 16. This must be the ADC's, because the DPO4000 series goes from 2.5GS/s sampling to 5.0GS/s.

No hits on Google from the marking on the chip.
It sounds plausible that they're the ADC's, and in that case, it's quite likely that it's custom silicon. No manufacturer uses off-the-shelf ADC's, except in the very low end. This is part of what makes the faster scopes so expensive.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 04:14:37 pm »
And what are these missing modules?
There's a total of 12 of them, in groups of four, scattered around the top of the board. Maybe it's for the MSO models with 16 digital lines?
I think these may be connectors for a high-speed logic analyser connection and/or MICTOR connectors - they appear to be grouped in differential pairs.

As regards the moisture sealant, this will be to avoid leakage due to board contamination on the RTC crystal's high impedance connections.

On the same subject, here are a couple of pics indide my Agilent MSO6034A :

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:20:14 pm by mikeselectricstuff »
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 06:28:38 pm »
Wow.  For comparison, compare those boards to the Rigol 1052E, the integration and parts density of your scopes are intense.

From Dave's photos:

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 07:01:00 pm »
whats the zigzag traces on mike's scope/pic? there are 2 big on the middle right (1st pic), middle left on the 2nd pic? looks funny.
ps: 3 last pics in the 1st post are broken. or isit just me?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:31:09 pm by shafri »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline jahonen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 07:06:26 pm »
And what are these missing modules?
There's a total of 12 of them, in groups of four, scattered around the top of the board. Maybe it's for the MSO models with 16 digital lines?
I think these may be connectors for a high-speed logic analyser connection and/or MICTOR connectors - they appear to be grouped in differential pairs.

As regards the moisture sealant, this will be to avoid leakage due to board contamination on the RTC crystal's high impedance connections.

On the same subject, here are a couple of pics indide my Agilent MSO6034A :

Great, now I don't have to open mine. I like those high-speed length matched differential pairs :) Kind of amazing how both the Tek DPO4000 and Agilent MSO6000 have similar large lithium battery.

shafri: The zigzag is for length matching, to equalize the propagation delays on the PCB. A common high-speed technique.

Regards,
Janne

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 07:34:55 pm »
hmm ok thanx. the heatsinks tell the story, not the usual rigol thing.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline scopeman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 10:34:31 pm »
Thanks for the pics. Maybe the moisture sealant is to keep leakage low, so it lasts longer on the lithium cell?

The moisture sealant area is to keep moisture and humidity from affecting the RTC and crystal for the time of day clock. Even a pF or so can change the frequency of the oscillator or cause it to stop.

Scopeman
W3OHM

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 08:53:26 am »
I wonder what the chips marked 7SB42 D9DCG are? There are 8 on my scope, but there's enough lands for 16. This must be the ADC's, because the DPO4000 series goes from 2.5GS/s sampling to 5.0GS/s.

my theory : probably only "bank memory" chips, for 5GSs you will need second one "big" custom BGA soldered between these two Tek custom chip (without heatsink), so in principle two 2.5GSs ADCs,
each with 10M sample memory but together still "only" 10M memory but 5GSs.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf