Author Topic: scopes compared  (Read 7502 times)

Offline teknofonTopic starter

scopes compared
« on: August 26, 2010, 04:48:40 pm »
hi
i'm looking into buying a dso,
because i'm tired of my old flaky and heavy analog scopes.
(my best and most reliable is an old tektronix tube scope from 1968 serviced by tekronix in 1993 ;)

now my question
wich has the best bang for the buck?

RIGOL 1052E
ATTEN ADS 1062
OWON PDS 6062T

best regards
Martin Sorensen

ps sorry for my bad english i'm swedish :)

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
Re: scopes compared
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 05:16:09 pm »
Strictly from that list I'd suggest the Rigol, due to the ability to upgrade it to 100MHz. There's a wealth of info online about it's modification and use, so it has good community support.

Watch out for the Owon's STN screen technology on the lower model scopes, those STN screens really stink! The 6062 is sold with both the STN screen and a much better TFT version. I think the 6062 with the T on the end means it's a TFT model, but I'm not sure. Be sure to deal with a reputable seller, as I'm sure there's people out there who would bait and switch. Even assuming a TFT screen, I believe most folks would prefer the Rigol.

I can't say I know much about the Atten model. The specs don't look to be quite as good as the Rigol, though the price is slightly lower. If I had to choose I'd save up the difference just based on the difference between 500Ms/s and 1Gs/s.

There's a thread here, and another with a bit more detail here, about an Instek model that's a strong competitor. It's not (as far as I know) hackable to a higher bandwidth, but it's got other benefits. The price is nearly identical in the US from tequipment.net, though I'm not sure what the availability or pricing is like elsewhere.

Hope that helps. :)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 04:42:36 pm »

anyway... back to topic:
RIGOL = famous here
Atten = older rigol's clone
Owon = No review yet (or perharps i missed)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 03:19:05 am by GeoffS »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 05:16:03 am »
RIGOL = famous here
Atten = older rigol's clone
Owon = No review yet (or perharps i missed)

That pretty much sums it up.
The only real competitor to the Rigol is the Instek 1000 series.

Dave.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 04:46:42 pm »
The only real competitor to the Rigol is the Instek 1000 series.

Make that the 1000A series.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Francirius

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 02:56:58 am »
Hi!, Some time ago i was looking for a DSO, and finally i get the Atten ADS1062C. I bought from Ebay, and like a month later arrive. I'm from Chile, and i started measuring a few things, but i had an accident, I measured a circuit with no transformer in the power source (it was a switching, i think ???) and i get a shortcircuit with the both "grounds" (of the circuit and from the DSO). It seems that nothing happen but the DSO started to works rare, and finally it freezes. Talking with the dealer (from korea), i could open the DSO, and following their advice i disconected the display flex. It work one time, but again it freezes and death with a white display. In the end, i could get a new oscilloscope, but i'm affraid to use it, 'cause when i turn it on, the display trembles, but it works fine for the moment.
This is my experience with Atten, i would like to change it, i don't know if is normal this "tremble" in the display in the beggining.
Bye, and sorry for the english, i'm from Chile.

Offline tinsmith

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 05:02:40 am »
I've come to the conclusion that the only meaningful budget options are used, Rigol hackoscope, and writing one into a grant. Less than that will probably do worse than sampling it with my NI DAQ, while more than that won't be budget anymore by the time it decisively beats the Rigol.

Of course, that could be different depending on what you need it for.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf