Author Topic: hakko fx-888d  (Read 8592 times)

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: hakko fx-888d
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2024, 06:26:41 pm »
The encoder pushbutton is like an Enter button, just turn it for a new temp and press.
I think nobody needs 1°C resolution for temperature setpoint, that's 0.2%. Neither does my alarm clock need 1 minute resolution for wake time.
It could easily be 5°C, or like my coffee grinder turning the encoder up jumps more (1 second) and turning it down it decrements less (0.1 second).

In a manufacturing environment, there's a need to lock an soldering iron's temperature. I'm not sure why- most people get flamed if they crank it up too high and ruin tips.
So this need complicates the UI - need a password function etc.
Looking at the 888DX, it's still got a busy UI: Low temp alarm, presets, password lock, tip temp correction. Cluttered with features.

Yet I don't see auto-shutoff feature which Weller has, based on heat demand- not some shake switch in the handle. It's not hard to implement in F/W.

Offline BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2024, 04:23:17 am »
The Weller 1010NA sleep function is F'ing worthless IMO. I have to push a button, or touch the tip to a wet sponge. Then I have to wait a long time for it to get back to temp. It just pissed me off so many times when I went to solder a joint and it was cold and I had to wait 15 sec. That I set the timer for something like 20 mins so it doesn't sleep often.

Now I'm using KSGER T12 clone with real Hakko tips. I pick up the handle and by the time I get in position to solder it is already to the correct temp. I can set the sleep timer to 10 or 20 sec it doesn't really matter. Much more useful in real life.

Now I mostly use my Weller to melt threaded inserts into 3d printed parts.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2024, 04:30:24 am »
Maybe a wakeup on button press is better than the temp dip? Even if a station has an 8-hour run timer, still better than nothing. Had an idiot use a soldering station at work, left it on all weekend. The tip was destroyed.

I had to go to a mercury switch in my KSGER T12, the shake switch is crap melts when soldered, not reliable I found.

Offline BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2024, 05:13:26 am »
At least the 1010na tips are cheap. As you said the timer is only really useful to prevent you from leaving unused on for hours. Setting the timer for 30+ mins should not cause too much pain from the painfully slow wakeup cycle. The newer cartridge heater tips are much superior in heat up time. Once you go cartridge you will never go back. You may still go forward to a Metcal type system which is is even better. The downsides are the tips cost more and you may need more of them because tips are set for one temp. only.

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2024, 07:22:19 am »
I know why they may have done the press to set, but it's still an unnecessary step. Aside from that they left in an easy way to accidentally enter the temp adjust (offset) mode again by making it a long press. Anyway.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2024, 11:19:51 am »
I know why they may have done the press to set, but it's still an unnecessary step.
So… toooootally unnecessary, except for all the legitimate reasons that make it necessary. Got it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf