Author Topic: Extract pins from Weller iron heater assembly  (Read 2797 times)

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Extract pins from Weller iron heater assembly
« on: November 22, 2015, 04:24:51 pm »
In an effort to repair my ages old but trusty Weller soldering iron I bought a replacement handle but in order to change it I need to disassemble the heater holder and remove the pins. Does anyone know of a method to do it without buying a kilo buck Tyco/AMP extraction tool? Digikey must be particularly insane with their price but I could not find one any cheaper than ~$250 so I am not buying it anyway.

If not then I guess I will cut the wires and resolder afterwards using heat resistant tubing.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Extract pins from Weller iron heater assembly
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 04:30:10 pm »
You can find the dimensions for the tool here:
http://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=showdoc&DocId=Specification+Or+Standard%7F408-7859%7FO%7Fpdf%7FEnglish%7FENG_SS_408-7859_O.pdf

It doesn't look too difficult to fabricate one from suitably thin-walled metal tubing. All it needs to do is push in the two barbs on either side of the contact.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:32:17 pm by amyk »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 07:19:06 pm »
You can try a stick of K&S Metals 87111 Round Stainless
  • O.D. = 1/8"
  • Wall Thickness =22ga (.0299")
  • Length = 12"
You can also find it in hobby and craft stores (suspect local would be a bit less expensive + instant gratification).  ;)

The wall thickness is a bit thinner than the dimensional drawing Sue linked (18ga/.0478" is closer), but it should work IMHO. And the best part is, it should be ~$5 max locally.  >:D  :-+

Hope this helps.  :)

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 03:43:22 am »
Thanks guys, I ended up with a 1/8'' brass rod that I had and a rotary tool with a cut-off wheel. Finished with a file set and it was good enough to just do the job, extracted 3 pins from the heater holder assembly. 

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 09:03:33 pm »
Thanks guys, I ended up with a 1/8'' brass rod that I had and a rotary tool with a cut-off wheel. Finished with a file set and it was good enough to just do the job, extracted 3 pins from the heater holder assembly.
Glad you got it sorted.  :-+

I didn't think the brass was thick enough (0.014"), so I looked up their round stainless options to get as close as I could to the 0.045" thickness spec. for the tool they sell (and tough enough you can put it in your toolbox use it again if needed).  ;)

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 02:57:12 am »
Yep, now have my Weller back, all renewed. So happy, that JBC toy iron sometimes drives me mad.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 07:04:06 am »
Yep, now have my Weller back, all renewed. So happy, that JBC toy iron sometimes drives me mad.
Those old Weller's are hard to truly kill.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf