Author Topic: polyester conformal coating?  (Read 311 times)

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
polyester conformal coating?
« on: August 23, 2021, 06:57:06 am »
Basically, would using really thinned down Q-dope (styrofoam + ethyl acetate) be a good conformal coating? I don't see anything about polyester , only paralyene, polyurethane, etc

great for coils.. but how about the entire PCB?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: polyester conformal coating?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 09:52:32 am »
Will work, but will be both porous, due to the solvent evaporating, and also kind of hard on components that are made from rubber, like electrolytic capacitors, and will also damage polyester film and other capacitors. But for transistors and IC's it will hold them down, along with SMD resistors and ceramic capacitors. Easiest is to grab a can of clear polyurethane spray and do a few light coats on the board to protect it.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: polyester conformal coating?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 08:53:09 pm »
I am interested because if you start thinking about how much crap you can dissolve to make a gallon of q-dope you start thinking that you can process alot of shipping foam to make some good stuff real cheap.. I see the point about capacitors, with SMD polyester its a little dangerous unless you design the board

is two part fiberglass resin similar in properties, where it gives a higher quality polyester finish compared to Q-dope, with the same or similar end material (cured polyester vs solvent thinned polyester)? or does it have different properties still? Does the q-dope solvent polyester coat have better electric dielectric properties then the resin version?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 08:55:26 pm by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf