Author Topic: Higher power power supplies  (Read 1844 times)

Offline raptor1956Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Higher power power supplies
« on: November 02, 2016, 01:40:39 am »
I was just pointed to to this website and one of the units that is of some interest is a 0-30V supply rated at 0-10A.

http://www.mpja.com/0-30VDC-10A-Variable-Benchtop-Power-Supply/productinfo/29631+PS/

Now this is nobodies idea of a true precision PS, but there are many applications where precision is not so critical but having a lot of power and current is so if one can trade a bit of precision and output ripple for brute power then an item like this is useful.  I'm currently working, part time, on a project involving peltier cooler modules and they eat up quite a but of power so using my Rigol DP832 is out of the question as the current required from even one peltier module easily exceeds the 3A limit of the 832.  I have another PS that I have been using for testing, a Tekpower TP3005T model that is no where near the 832 in precision or ripple but that's not a problem when driving a peltier module as best I can tell.

So, what say ye about these lesser name brand PS's of higher power.  For the unit I linked to put out 30V at 10A or 300VA in a package this small it has to be a SMPS of some variant, but again, for some work that's not a problem. 

Brian

Offline kc8apf

• Regular Contributor
Re: Higher power power supplies
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 04:13:54 am »
I'm suspicious of the supply you linked actually meeting its 30V@10A spec.  When I've needed power supplies, I've always found plenty of old HP supplies on eBay at reasonable prices.  A 6023A is 20V@30A and often sells on eBay for ~$300 with the occasional deal.  An old 6286A would get you 20V@10A for ~$150.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 05:05:27 am »
Personally I like eBay for beefier stuff. If you're patient enough you can score something pretty nice for not much scratch. Sometimes it's a gamble though. I picked up a Sorensen 60V 18A supply this way for peanuts. It was being sold as a "no output" parts/repair unit but I noticed that the jumpers on the back of the unit were configured for remote use. Took a chance and made a low offer that got accepted and when it arrived I reconfigured the jumpers and started using it!

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 05:16:58 am »
Yup, eBay for this kind of stuff... Got a Kepco 20V, 20A for kinda cheap this way...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf