Author Topic: Hot air station recommendations for mainly heatshrink work  (Read 948 times)

Offline adiazTopic starter

Hot air station recommendations for mainly heatshrink work
« on: January 19, 2023, 03:01:48 pm »
Hello! I’m looking for something that works well. This would be mainly for heatshrink/audio cable construction. I don’t need something pricey like Metcal/JBC. Just want to get away from the butane versions.

Thanks!!

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: Hot air station recommendations for mainly heatshrink work
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 08:16:03 pm »
For just heatshrink a regular heat gun could be cheaper. Just make sure it has a low enough temperature setting.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 08:35:50 pm »
An 858D type should be plenty, easy to use/control and ok for general electronics. You can also buy an appropriate sized tip and squash into shape. Don't leave these plugged into the wall as they could turn on during failure. It pays to inspect the stations mains and ground/earth wiring as well. But otherwise a good tool for it. Shop around on price.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 08:39:59 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline GLouie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 08:52:30 pm »
For ordinary audio cable heatshrinking, I'm with rdl. Just a standard hardware store heat gun is fine, $30. It's supposed to get hot enough to burn off paint, you learn to move the blast away to not burn the goods.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 08:58:33 pm »
For ordinary audio cable heatshrinking, I'm with rdl. Just a standard hardware store heat gun is fine, $30. It's supposed to get hot enough to burn off paint, you learn to move the blast away to not burn the goods.

I have both a cheap 858D and a pretty good paint-stripping type gun.  The 858D is somewhere between 200 and 300 times as handy for heatshrinking without lighting your work on fire.  Maybe not as fast, though.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline ygi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 11:06:15 am »
If you're going for the cheap stuff, why not purpose built stuff like that: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003432087255.html  (first link I found that sells the 110V version)

It's a small form factor and not hot enough to melt anything by accident.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 11:22:36 am by ygi »

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 11:12:01 am »
The really cheap hot air guns can be a bit of a fire hazard. They're always one fan failure away from combustion since the element is burning up much more power than it could ever withstand without the airflow.
Some of the Atten 858 clones have a DPDT switch where one set of contacts is fan on/off and the other controls the heating.
So if one side of the switch fails you can lose cooling but it's still running the heater.

As long as you're in the room or nearby its fine, but don't leave them unattended.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 11:18:14 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf