Author Topic: Hotswapping tips with a Weller WXMP handle?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline agehallTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hotswapping tips with a Weller WXMP handle?
« on: July 26, 2017, 09:47:33 am »
I can't really find a good answer to this - is it OK to hotswap the tips in a Weller WXMP handle? By hotswap I mean just pull the tip cartridge out without shutting the power to the handle off beforehand.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Hotswapping tips with a Weller WXMP handle?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 11:20:50 am »
According to the manual...

Replacing a used soldering tip (removal)
1. Place the soldering tool into the safety rest.
2. Switch off the supply unit.
3. Wait three minutes until the soldering tip has cooled off.
4. Hold the soldering iron by the handpiece and pull the soldering tip off of the tool by the tip handle (3).

Inserting a new soldering tip
5. Hold the soldering iron by the handpiece (4) and insert the tip into the soldering tool by the tip handle (3).
6. Switch on the supply unit and set the required temperature.

Note: If different types of soldering tip are used, it is recommended that the tips be placed into the metal sockets provided on the back of the WDH 50 rest.
Source (.pdf).

:palm:

Seems ridiculous, and I'd contact Weller to verify. Particularly as this is possible with other top tier stations from other manufacturers such as Hakko and JBC (meaning the cartridge types specifically).

Edit: Clarification.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:35:26 pm by nanofrog »

Offline pmcouto

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 11:35:51 am »
I don’t know about WXMP, but with WMRP and WMRT (previous generation) you cannot hot-swap tips.
If you do, the controller shows an error and disables the output, requiring a power cycle to recover (I’m not aware of any other way to recover).

Offline Omicron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 12:18:56 pm »
Don't hot swap them. I've destroyed a few tips doing that! The temp sensor in them gets blown if you're unlucky. Turn the station off then swap.

No need to wait 3 minutes and let them cool though. I never bother with that. Just turn the station off, swap, turn back on. It takes only a second or two.

Offline agehallTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 09:35:44 pm »
And when we say "switch off the station", I assume it's enough to just turn off the iron and that I don't have to flip the switch at the back?

I had actually read the instructions in the manual at some point, but I was a bit surprised there wasn't a big fat warning "NEVER HOT-SWAP TIPS OR THEY MIGHT BREAK!" - the current writing seems very much like a protection against liability imho.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf