Author Topic: IKEA led power supply  (Read 29515 times)

Offline rollatorwieltjeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
IKEA led power supply
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:13:16 pm »
Bought some cheap led desk lights from IKEA, the "Jansjö" model. These are 3W led lights on a flexible arm, they seem to be quite popular in the DIY machining community as small work lights.

These things are only about €10 each. Of course made in China, so I wanted to check the power supply to see if it was one of those Shenzen Specials or if it was actually properly made. Note that the power switch on these lights switches the secondary side, so the power supply is always on when it's plugged in.

I pretty much expected a shitty capacitive dropper type power supply, but it's actually a proper switch-mode unit.

The power supply in question. Made by Kwong Ming Electrical MFY. Wide input range, so this is probably the power supply used everywhere.

It's ultrasonically welded shut, but it can be opened using a bench vice and some percussive persuasion.

Notice quite a large lip around the edge and 3 extra pins to hold the case together. Generous amounts of goop hold the components in place. The output power connector is held in place by the case, it doesn't rely on the PCB for mechanical strength.

Power leads are crimped on the pins, and the pins are a one piece U shaped molding. These aren't going to break off.
The chip is a PHY368DA. Can't find much on it. All the capacitors are "HD" brand. Nothing special. Note that this power supply barely gets warm, I don't expect any issues here.

Blast from the past, old school DIN 41529 connector.

The money shot. The isolation gap is 7mm, and there's a routed slot with plastic protruding. Quite an elaborate design for such a cheap product. This thing just proves you can actually make a decent power supply for almost nothing.

I measured 6.90V with the led connected. An interesting thing is that it doesn't output anything when there's no load connected. Just a tiny peak once per second, I guess to check if there is actually anything connected. This obviously reduces the standby power consumption a lot.

So, thumbs up. IKEA proves you can make a dirt cheap LED desk light and still provide a reasonable power supply.

The following users thanked this post: nightfire

Offline Wirehead

• Regular Contributor
    • Wirehead.be
Re: IKEA led power supply
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 09:25:26 pm »
Have one of those as well, but with the clip/suction mount. Very handy when repairing stuff and dirt cheap  :-+
"to remain static is to lose ground"

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 07:00:23 am »
I remember bigclivedotcom recently reviewed an IKEA USB charger and he was favourably impressed by its quality (considering its price of course)

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 07:37:42 am »
It's a very good product

I have 3 of this turned on continuously for about 4 years,  working as new, paid 9.99 In Florida Ikea

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 05:14:58 am »
QC could br better. I bought one and the lamp flickered, so was unusable.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 07:40:13 am »
The images seem to be missing  :-//

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 01:06:33 pm »

At least it was the lamp, with some of those Chinese lights it could have been the user flickering  :scared:

The images seem to be missing  :-//

Should be back by now, server was down for some hardware maintenance.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:17:59 pm by rollatorwieltje »

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 11:32:01 am »
PHY368D is a fully integrated LED CC driver compatible (I'm not sure if it is cloned from, or not) OB2358AP.
They operate at 50kHz with integrated 600V MOSFET. PHY368D is rated at 18W universal voltage, while OB2358AP is rated at 16W universal/27W 220~240V.

That's interesting, because the Jansjo I have definitely has what appears to be a linear constant current driver built into the lamp head.  I didn't investigate the power supply--perhaps they use different solutions in different regions, or different variations of the product (mine is the round weighted base, not sure which the OP has).

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 11:53:06 am »
PHY368D is a fully integrated LED CC driver compatible (I'm not sure if it is cloned from, or not) OB2358AP.
They operate at 50kHz with integrated 600V MOSFET. PHY368D is rated at 18W universal voltage, while OB2358AP is rated at 16W universal/27W 220~240V.

That's interesting, because the Jansjo I have definitely has what appears to be a linear constant current driver built into the lamp head.  I didn't investigate the power supply--perhaps they use different solutions in different regions, or different variations of the product (mine is the round weighted base, not sure which the OP has).

Both the clip-on type and the desk version, they came with the same power brick.

http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/20315645/
http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/50163202/

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 05:12:29 am »
Oh yeah?
*Scheming Weasel plays*

What's inside that transformer? Some wire and a few pieces of tape? I smell dirty secrets...
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 05:39:45 am »
Does this model have the inline switch in the cord? I have a couple of the slightly fancier Tived ones which flicker a bit and the problem is the poor quality inline switch from the power supply not the power supply itself.

Offline crazyguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 05:55:45 am »
PHY368D Current Mode PWM Power Switch datasheet
http://bbs.dianyuan.com/bbs/u/83/377541259058025.pdf

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 03:12:25 am »
PHY368D Current Mode PWM Power Switch datasheet
http://bbs.dianyuan.com/bbs/u/83/377541259058025.pdf
Okay, so it's not actually an integrated LED driver as was suggested earlier, and the wall wart is in fact just providing a regulated voltage.  That makes a lot more sense given what's in the head.  Speaking of which...

The top is a pain to get open.  There's a clear plastic bezel that has to clips that latch onto prongs on the reflector in such a way that prying around the outside of the bezel just pushes the clips together.  Prying around the inside of the bezel risks scratching the lens, which is plastic.  Once the bezel is persuaded off, the lens falls away, and two screws that hold the reflector on are exposed.  These go through the reflector, and clamp a small metal PCB to the cast housing of the head, which has a nice bit of thermal goop between.

On the PCB is a a linear CC driver (AMC7136, datasheet attached), a 0.22R sense resistor, and a zener to provide Vdd for the IC.  I was thinking of adding a little dimmer switch in place of the inline on/off switch.  Brief thoughts of using the driver's enable input (shown on the first page of the datasheet) were dashed after noticing that it would be the 6th connection on a 5-pin package  ::), so I guess an external driver is in order.  The driver seems to need a minimum of about 6.25V to maintain full current (about 195mA initially, seems to decline with increasing temp).  The LED is a dual-chip part, so the dropout voltage of the driver IC is respectably low.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:24:00 am by ajb »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 04:38:15 pm »
Interesting. I have a couple of Jansjö from 2015, and they use 4V, 0.75A wall warts, and inside is an entirely different PCB, with a single cap, two 7135 chips apparently in parallel, and an LED with an integrated lens -- and the board part includes "CREE" in it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:45:15 pm by tooki »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 06:44:10 pm »
Looks like a Cree XPG?

Offline thyself

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 03:19:41 pm »
Here is the Datasheet for PHY361D/PHY364D/PHY368D/PHY369D Current Mode PWM Power Switches in Chinese:
https://u.dianyuan.com/upload/space/2011/08/24/1314150288-518236.pdf
And attached is the Schematics of IKEA KMV-040-030-GS1
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 04:22:13 pm by thyself »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 05:16:04 pm »
It's worth more than Ikea's life to punt unsafe cheap ass rubbish, and they can buy in such volumes that they can stipulate the quality standard they require.
I have several of these LED lights around the house, clip on, free standing etc and all but one have been fault free after hundreds of hours on time.  Just the one had a tendency to flicker, turning it off and on would cure it for a few days then it would repeat the issue. Then, suddenly, the fault cleared and it's been fine ever since!
DC coupling is the devils work!!

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 09:19:16 pm »
There was a good documentary series on Ikea's design, suppliers and manufacturer QC etc. not long ago. They are pretty demanding - furniture suppliers sweating over laminate surface finish change with the 'wet mug left overnight' test, etc. They spent a lot of time scrutinising Chinese factory production lines too irrc.

Lots of supplier money tied up in keeping them happy. It's not as if they can offload them elsewhere if they fail to pass muster.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 09:21:14 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 10:40:07 pm »
In general, it surprises me that many people still expect IKEA stuff to be junk. Particle board furniture is never going to be super durable, but for what it is, IKEA’s is quite above average. (A German consumer program decided to test the common belief that IKEA furniture of yesteryear is better made than today’s. So they bought old, but intact, IKEA furniture and compared it to today’s, subjecting them to destructive testing and analysis, as well as inspection by woodworkers. Today’s actually proved to be substantially better.) But as for other things, like their household items, IKEA stuff is excellent. Yes, they sell some flimsy stuff that’s dirt cheap. But they sell tons of stuff for just a bit more that is anything but flimsy.

Offline fr10000

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2020, 08:18:44 am »
Dears,
I put a video about Power Supply  IKEA KMV-070-030-GS1 and I talk you my troubles.
It is in spanish.

https://youtu.be/c5XVDPWQ_nM

Regards.

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2020, 03:51:09 pm »
I use the IKEA Jansjo LEDs for some macro work. I've modified them with a more powerful Cree LED and added the ability for pulse mode operation like a flash.

Here's a link.

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=41464&p=260928&hilit=IKEA+Jansjo#p260928

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 09:13:25 pm »
I am glad I found this post and find out that my KWV-040-030-NA-1 (4V, 3W, US-based) adapter was ultrasonic welded - it saved me a bit in trying to figure out.

Mine is similar to the unit shown by rollatorwieltje but it is the 4V version that matches the schematics shared by thyself. Thanks guys.

1092306-0

The unit I have was failing to maintain 4V under load and, after opening, it took me a while to find the culprit: the 1000µF/6,3V output capacitor.

1092310-1
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline dvd4me

• Regular Contributor
IKEA led power supply save the AVR3700 HK receiver
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2021, 09:45:05 pm »
This was a great resource to find precious info on where to find that chip used in a regular consumer product.
I bought for this purpose an used lamp from someone just to harvest the chip PHY368DA.
This is a similar chip with the OB2358AP that is also used in... Harman Kardon AVR3700 or AVR370 receiver!
I needed to fix the broken power module on that receiver and the closest available chip was in the... Ikea lamp! go figure...
Also it seems like there are also other variants of this chip, I found a similar one, Sifirst SF5539HDP, you can find the datasheet on the net.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 09:46:43 pm by dvd4me »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf