Author Topic: Is the Quicko / Quecoo T12-958 properly grounded?  (Read 3025 times)

Offline PizzabroodjeTopic starter

• Contributor
Is the Quicko / Quecoo T12-958 properly grounded?
« on: September 29, 2022, 01:19:39 am »
Hi!

In the search for my first soldering station I stumbled upon the T12 soldering stations.
I've read a lot about them not being grounded though. However, some people say that the newer models, among which the Quicko / Quecoo T12-958, are properly grounded.

Can anyone who has this station confirm this? Because on the picture of the insides that's on the AliExpress product page, I don't see anything being connected to the chassis. (And for the soldering tip I don't know how to tell if it's grounded)

I attached the picture I mentioned.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: Is the Quicko / Quecoo T12-958 properly grounded?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 06:38:56 pm »
Just use an ohmmeter to check continuity from mains cord PE to the soldering iron tip and enclosure chassis.
There's a few different power supply boards used in the stations, some have no ground, others need a jumper, and the latest ones have a PE ground wire and bolt.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline PizzabroodjeTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 08:00:04 pm »
Just use an ohmmeter to check continuity from mains cord PE to the soldering iron tip and enclosure chassis.
There's a few different power supply boards used in the stations, some have no ground, others need a jumper, and the latest ones have a PE ground wire and bolt.

Yeah I will but I'd prefer not having to mess with it, so looking for something of which I'll be at least somewhat sure it's grounded.

The only Quicko or KSGER T12 that I could find and is clearly grounded properly is the KSGER STC V2.3 (seems like that's their newest model too). I'll include the product pics of the inside below.

All the other KSGER models don't seem to have a grounding lug to the case. I asked them and they said that indeed the V2.3 is the only one with a grounded case.
As to the Quickos I'm not completely sure but it doesn't seem like any of them have a grounded case.

The tips seem to be grounded properly on all the current KSGER and Quicko models.

I'm torn between the KSGER V2.3, the KSGER MSM32 V2.1, Quecoo 955 (the only Quecoo that seems to have the STM32; it's basically the KSGER V2.1 but with a DC port), the Yihua 948DB+ II, or maybe even the Sequre MSS12 Pro.

I'm mostly torn between the KSGER V2.3 and the Yihua. Though David's CFW does make the MSM32 stations tempting.

The Yihua seems like a more durable model. All the KSGER and Quecoo models seem to have all kinds of issues, but hardware-wise most of that seems to have been fixed on the KSGER V2.3 (grounded case, and the heatshrink seems to not go on top of the mains trace anymore). Still it uses the same handles as before, which all have their issues.

The Yihua handle seems like a good compromise between the large 907 and the smaller handles like the 9051. At least 2-3cm shorter from the solder tip to your fingers and thinner than the 907, but the tip protrudes out more than on the others making it less likely that it would ever overheat.

The Yihua is also certified by 3C, CE, UL, SGS, and ROHS, whereas I'd doubt the KSGERs or Quickos ever getting those.

The KSGER has more functions like per-tip calibration, and a more advanced interface. I don't know if I'll really need that though.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 03:24:30 am by Pizzabroodje »

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 05:58:07 pm »
The Quicko and KSGER are better quality, although there are many knock-offs where vendors mix and match components to get a few dollars lower price.
It's good they've listened and added the case ground but you can always add it if missing. They seem to have axed the RTC battery, who needs a clock in a soldering station lol.
The DC power port is great if you need to go portable, using a battery pack.

One deciding factor you have not considered is the stand. The chinese can not make a decent stand. They'll give a 936 stand for a T12 so it fits loose, or have cheap small collar that doesn't hold the wand and it falls out. Really terrible. None of them are any good.

Offline eevnoob

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 08:24:43 pm »
hi, i'm also looking for a budget T12 station that comes ESD safe/grounded out of the box and wondered if anyone managed to try out the KSGER STC V2.3? someone in a different thread also mentioned a couple of new stations that are supposedly good out of the box (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/new-yihua-soldering-station-with-t12-tips!/)

Yihua 948DB+II
https://aliexpress.com/item/1005004639048402.html

Sequre MSS12 Pro
https://aliexpress.com/item/3256804537821905.html

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 11:05:45 pm »
For anything Chinese, you need to test the unit you HAVE, not take the word of someone else who has something that might not match what you have, even if it has the same name.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf