Author Topic: JBC RTS Vs HT Soldering tips  (Read 1773 times)

Offline 2XTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
JBC RTS Vs HT Soldering tips
« on: April 02, 2021, 12:17:54 pm »
Hello,
does anyone knows what is the difference and the right use between the RTS Vs HT and "general" soldering tips? I read that the RTS tip "is constructed with Reduced "Tinned" Surface (RTS), perfect for touch-up applications". What means "touch-up applications" and why is good because it has less tin coat? Thanks in advance. The HT I believe it stands from Heat Transfer but I am not sure.

C245-064 (RTS)      

C245-405 (HT)

C245-905 -> "general"
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 12:19:59 pm by 2X »

Offline Hohn

• Contributor
Re: JBC RTS Vs HT Soldering tips
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 06:18:50 pm »
I don't see the "RTS" and "HT" listed in the tip catalog, just "long life" and "extended life".

A "touch up application" is likely a rework situation where something is having to be reflowed or repaired. Less tin coat would have enhanced heat flow and thus be able to flow more heat into an assembly in less time. This should allow soldering at lower temperature and reduce the risk of overheating nearby components, which is more significant in a fully assembled board than one in which you are hand soldering the initial assembly.

"Reduced Tinned Surface" might be a tip that is face-tinned only. Those are useful for drag soldering and tinning leads and such.

Sorry that I have to speculate, I can't say anything definitively here.

The following users thanked this post: AlfBaz

Offline gtm

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 09:59:56 pm »
Quote from: 2X on 03 April 2021, 02:17:54
does anyone knows what is the difference and the right use between the RTS Vs HT and "general" soldering tips? I read that the RTS tip "is constructed with Reduced "Tinned" Surface (RTS), perfect for touch-up applications". What means "touch-up applications" and why is good because it has less tin coat? Thanks in advance. The HT I believe it stands from Heat Transfer but I am not sure.

C245-064 (RTS)       

C245-405 (HT)

C245-905 -> "general"
The differences are apparent if you look at the drawings of the tips,  the main differences anyway.
Normal vs HT
The normal tips are narrower and "necked", while their HT variants have sort of a cone shape.
That shape makes them more efficient at transporting (or should I say 'funelling') heat from the heater to the business end of the tip. But the difference is not huge,  I can't tell much of a difference myself.
Normal (bevel) vs RTS
The RTS (Reduced Tinned Surface),  or using Hakko nomenclature TFO (Tinned Face Only) are bevels where the chrome layer extends all the way to the cut face, which is the only part of the tip that is wettable.
Another difference, this one not obvious from the illustrations , is the roundness of the edges:
"Normal" jbc bevels have rounded edges (extremely rounded in the smaller bevels), while the RTS that I've got has a much sharper edge.
I'm not sure what JBC mean or why they say "ideal for touch up", whatever works for you, there is no right or wrong usage IMO.  I dont use bevels much, only for drag soldering, but some people swear by and use them (the RTS) for literally everything.  I guess that they are  versatile if you don't have a large number of tips, you can take advantage the sharp edges to get into tight places, and also use them as you would a normal bevel. They are also very low maintenance: just one small flat surface to wipe on the sponge, and almost no wasted solder. I actually prefer them over the normal bevels.
I'll post some pics tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 12:23:20 am by gtm »

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 05:02:30 am »
HT for high heat transfer - those tips are very short and fat to maximize heat conduction. needed when u cant maximize touch area by using bigger tip (there is no advantage when soldering throughhole with 6mm tip instead of 2mm), and cant go absurdly high temps. so u just use fat high heat conductive tip with nominal temp, it pumps more heat than board drains, preventing cold joints.
RTS - have only working tip end. great for drag soldering, cleaning or tinning solder joints on boards. cuz they form very round ball of solder that u drag over everything. obviously they cant suck excess solder on tip cone, so u have to use proper diameter solder wire to avoid bridging.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf