Author Topic: Knipex tweezers - different product under same number  (Read 1897 times)

Offline poorchavaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
Knipex tweezers - different product under same number
« on: May 18, 2022, 07:02:19 pm »
I've been using Knipex tweezers for a long time. Couldn't be happier with quality and the price is ok (in contrast: Wiha - who is also a reputable company - make totally shit tweezers).

I recently decided i need a new pair of straight tweezers (i use 92 28 69 ESD, they usually last about 2 years) so I ordered some from TME. Imagine my surprise when I got a different product. Ok, mistakes happen....? No, it has the correct number, and Knipex website confirms that this is how the product should look like right now. The quality is also perfectly ok, but it's totally different: 10m shorter, the back is profiled differently, instead of being painted it seems to have some thick coating (probably powder coated), the nose is thicker and has wider angle which makes it awkward to use in tight spaces.

I can see that some other products from the family have been altered as well. That's fine, every company has to redesign stuff from time to time... But the the hell don't they give it a new product number and instead mislead customers? Or maybe I'm weird when i expect to get the same product when I order the same product number?
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
Re: Knipex tweezers - different product under same number
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 07:16:21 pm »
Does it weight less? It looks like it weighs less. Probably some bean counting manager worked the ROI on a project to redesign the tweezer to remove some direct material cost, will break even in less than a year, and be eligible for a bonus when profit margins come in.

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 07:28:37 pm »
Knipex has been reengineering some of their tools presumably to make them less expensive to produce. If the quality is really off, I might suspect a counterfeit.
-John

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 07:49:05 pm »
Knipex has been reengineering some of their tools presumably to make them less expensive to produce. If the quality is really off, I might suspect a counterfeit.

TME would presumably order their goods directly from Knipex and not sell counterfeit stuff. That's not AliExpress ...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 07:49:42 pm »
I got it from TME. AFAIK they are an authorized distributor so I wouldn't expect a fake. Also, the markings and the coating do seem more expensive than the previous version, but maybe I'm wrong - not an expert on metal processing. The new ones seem embossed or something, old type was just screen printed.

The quality seems fine. I have some doubt about the coating. If that is powder coated then this might be a dud, considering that those are often used with a hot air gun.

Also this being a tool used sometimes for hours in a day, it just has to feel comfortable, and I really don't like the feel of the new ones, also they are too short... Probably gonna go back to Xytronic since they cost like a 1/4 of Knipex and they ARE still the same product as they were 12 years ago.

Again, I wouldn't be mad if they just discontinued the old ones and introduced a new product. But this is a srewup

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 07:58:01 pm »
Knipex does change the tools while keeping the same part number. For example this Pliers Wrench

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 08:00:14 pm »
Well that's is a shitty practice then and a nasty surprise for a customer just wanting same, proven product.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 09:27:03 pm »
It looks like they redid the whole series. To them probably the only thing that matters is the shape of the tip. https://www.ebay.com/itm/325165701580
Maybe you can look at this series instead: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224959397453

There is no reason to get the "ESD" version that I can see.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 06:57:30 am »
TME would presumably order their goods directly from Knipex and not sell counterfeit stuff. That's not AliExpress ...

I once ordered a Knipex crimping die from Reichelt Electronik, a midsize, well established distributor, and received a die that among other curiosities, sat loose in the tool frame and had chromed working surfaces that were much more shiny than hard. Perhaps it had been a customer return. The plastic box it came in was unsealed, had a poorly printed label and would not fully close over the die. I returned it with a list of operational deficiencies and left it to Reichelt to decide if the die was genuine or not. (I did not think that was my department.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 07:11:50 am by jfiresto »
-John

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 03:08:33 pm »
I think this means there are features that they deem are aesthetic only but are really not aesthetic only.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 03:15:23 pm »
best tweezers : Regine / venus . made in switzerland. Farnell  carries them.

https://www.regine.ch/products.php?subid=2&lang=E&Tq=V&Taf=G&Tbase=43&twpg=3

this hook style is ideal to hold little parts while soldering them down.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 09:37:32 pm »

I can't find them in Farnell. In general I can't find anybody who carries them and regine.ch doesn't list any distributors.

I used to use curved tweezers (Xytronic 7-SA) but now prefer straight ones. Well, regardless, I have like 15+ different tweezers. Surgical tissue (as in: flesh, not paper tissue) holders (looks like a tweezer with vampire teeth as the end) is great for pulling out THT parts.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2022, 12:26:41 am »

Does their website actually have pictures of pizza, or is that just me?
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2022, 06:58:37 am »

Does their website actually have pictures of pizza, or is that just me?
Yup, and I am puzzled as you.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2022, 08:22:48 am »
I wonder if it's some subliminal influencing resulting in a bump in sales. I mean, now I want pizza but I'm not going to get some. I can, however, satisfy my neediness right there by buying some tweezers. Satisfaction.  :)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2022, 03:26:40 pm »
My favorite everyday electronics tweezers are the Erem (now Weller) OODSA. They’re sturdy, but above all (and unlike any other brand of OODSA tweezers I’ve found), the tip serrations are cross-hatched, rather than just parallel grooves, which IMHO makes them grip things more predictably at any angle. They, too, are made in Switzerland.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2022, 03:28:57 pm »
(in contrast: Wiha - who is also a reputable company - make totally shit tweezers).
Odd. My fine tweezers are Wiha and they’re excellent.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf