Author Topic: KSGER STM32 V3.1S T12 blew smoke the moment I plugged it in  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
Re: KSGER STM32 V3.1S T12 blew smoke the moment I plugged it in
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2024, 10:22:30 pm »
Definitely still looks reversed, but it seems strange that as many of these things as are sold (they're hugely popular in the budget/hobbyist sector) that they'd have figured this out by now and corrected it.

Makes me want to confirm with someone who has the same working unit that theirs is wired as expected (opposite yours). I'm surprised nobody here has one and offered to validate the theory.

I don't have a KSGER but do have a Handskit model with tweezers that may or may not be of the same design. If nobody else steps up with a KSGER I can open mine up and take a look just to see if it has the same wiring configuration in that area.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2024, 10:43:32 pm »
It looks like the controller PCB has a 3-pin connector footprint, and then a 2-pin JST is plopped in there.

Offline AstutePauciloquentTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2024, 11:44:40 pm »
Just tested the PSU on the new one, because the new one wouldn't turn on after I reversed the polarity going into the control board... AND!!!! WTF, its actually correct. The markings on the PSU board are reversed. So its a FULL circle of confusion.

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2024, 11:57:06 pm »
So that would suggest your first one was not reversed either, and so that's not what blew it up. I thought it odd that a reversed polarity would cause that much damage, anyway.

I suspect you had another component fail short.

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2024, 01:00:34 am »
So that would suggest your first one was not reversed either, and so that's not what blew it up. I thought it odd that a reversed polarity would cause that much damage, anyway.

I suspect you had another component fail short.

Yes you're correct, with reversed polarity the device does not turn on 'as expected'.

However, I am noticing some differences between the wiring of my first handle vs the new handle. Does anyone have a schematic for this KSGER FX9501 Handle?

Offline Seb71

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2024, 10:02:25 pm »
The markings on the PSU board are reversed.

I have the same v2.05 PSU.

The + and - markings on the PSU board near the 24VDC connector are for the through holes, not for the connector pins.

Also the wire colors (red and black) are not correct as delivered, but you can swap the ends - plug the controller board end in the PSU board and vice-versa (the plugs are not wired the same on both ends).

The following users thanked this post: AstutePauciloquent

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2024, 10:30:13 pm »
The + and - markings on the PSU board near the 24VDC connector are for the through holes, not for the connector pins.

Yes I see, it makes it very confusing. I've drawn my own - and + on the board for future reference. But the good news is, the new one is working! and its really quite amazing, I knew this was a device worth owning. Soon I will have 3 Irons, I may never have to swap a tip again.

Whats the fun in buying a soldering iron that doesn't blow up on day one?

Offline Seb71

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2024, 10:44:08 pm »

Yes I see, it makes it very confusing. I've drawn my own - and + on the board for future reference.

Ha ha.

Me too:
1985779-0
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 10:47:59 pm by Seb71 »

The following users thanked this post: AstutePauciloquent

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf