Author Topic: Hakko FR-301 versus Hakko 808 versus alternatives  (Read 2760 times)

Offline smbakerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Scott's Electronics & Sandrail & Old BBS Game Blog
Hakko FR-301 versus Hakko 808 versus alternatives
« on: March 14, 2023, 03:15:40 am »
I'm a long time Hakko 808 user. It's been a good tool over the years, but has started to become more problematic, particularly with getting clogs right at the back end of the heat tube. It's doing this no matter how careful I am with it.

I've been thinking about "upgrading" to a FR-301. I was hoping someone here who has owned both tools could give me a rundown of the various pluses and minuses. In particular, whether I'd be making a step backward in any way with the 301.

My other option would be something like the 410, but I honestly don't know that I do enough desoldering to justify such a thing. Almost all other manufacturers (Pace, JBC, etc) are a considerable premium. I'd love a pace desoldering station to complement my new ADS200, but I don't think I can justify the prices.

Thanks,
Scott

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Hakko FR-301 versus Hakko 808 versus alternatives
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 01:26:48 am »
I don't think there is really anything better for the price, the other day someone posted about the Den-on SC-7000Z which seems to be another Japanese offering. Looks smaller profile which may be a good or bad thing but it's a few hundred more expensive (as best as I can recall).

That section looks part of the heater. The same design problem exists on the newer model as well and eventually may need replacing. The Pace design it's all part of the tip so when you replace or swap to another tip you're back in business.

The old 808 heaters were about $50 the newer ones are about $75 so that is how much you are looking at to fix that particular problem.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 05:52:06 am »
The Pace design it's all part of the tip so when you replace or swap to another tip you're back in business.

I have to admit the Pace ST-125 is an attractive station, but the price at ~ $1000 is a bit much, and then you're also looking at up to $35 - $80 per tip.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 08:49:34 pm »
Unfortunately tweezers, desoldering tools and stations aren't particularly cheap.

Just to clarify Pace mostly sells tips in packs for the SX100 not singles, comes to about $8 per tip if you get the 6993-0288-P1 pack. Hakko does a pack also, works out at about $17 each. Generally Paces consumables are cheaper across the board than other brands. They do sell some more expensive removal tips but hard to draw a comparison as some of them are fancy.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 05:49:10 am »
Well now I'm wondering if I should just limp the Hakko 808 along for a few more months, or even another year, and save up for a Pace ST-125 w/ SX-100.

I wish I knew how much better the Pace performed than the Hakko. My 808 was really a pretty wonderous tool when I first received it. Maybe that ought to be good enough for hobbyist-level work.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 02:57:08 pm »
Performance difference, hard to say as I've only seen the FR301 being used in videos. Pace stations have snapvac (higher pressure initial vacuum). Hakko uses their own version of this on some of stations but it's absent from the FR301. Ergonomics the Pace SX100 it's pencil style, smaller and lighter with easier tip changes, can be pedal operated.

Is it worth the difference? Well really it's a different class, in that being a station even though it's single channel the ST115 operates about 8 or so different Pace tools. The Hakko is portable but the stand is rubbish. Paces station and stand are both heavy duty and temp is digitally controlled, I expect more accurately.

Another thing to consider is that Paces new MBT360 model have two Accudrive channels and one Sensatemp channel. So going forward Intelliheat stations may be phased out or updated for existing or newer Sensitemp/Accudrive models.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 02:59:32 pm by Shock »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 11:41:27 pm »
Well that's interesting. I wish I knew more about "snapvac". My naive assumption had been that with a separate unit housing the vacuum pump and a bunch of tubing between handpiece and pump, that initial vacuum could be worse than the handheld units like the Hakko.

Still haven't made up my mind, though I am very very happy with my Pace ADS200. If I desoldered all day long, I'd absolutely invest the money in a Pace desoldering station, but desoldering is something I do much less of than soldering.

Scott

Offline kermitfrog

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 05:02:19 am »
I have a pace desoldering station. It's an old one and a well made piece of gear. I wouldn't pay the nosebleed prices for a new one tho. I don't think you can beat the Hakko for price vs quality. It will last many years

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 01:34:28 am »
I bought an AOYUE 474A++ a few years back for under 200 buck as a second unit for my other bench. Wow. Great performance and totally reliable. I find I use this one more than my JBC DS 5300, as the handpiece is lighter and easier to use. Go figure...

Offline H713

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 04:49:09 am »
Another consideration, if you have compressed air in your lab, is a Metcal desoldering gun. Thermaltronics sells a clone of the Metcal gun (DS-KIT-1) for about $315. You could pair that with a used MX500 base station. I believe they also have a version that pairs with MFR1100 series 470 kHz stations, but I haven't used them.

That's what I did when my Hakko 470 based system died. Easy move for me, as I was already in the Metcal ecosystem, but I do think that it was a noticeable improvement over the Hakko system.

As with all of these things, keeping the filters clean helps a LOT. I find I have to replace them pretty frequently on all systems to avoid an airflow reduction, which inevitably leads to frequent clogs.

I avoided the FR-301 due to its bulkiness, but I don't think it's worse than the 808 in that regard.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf