Author Topic: Lindstrom Plier lifetime warranty?? is it worth the paper it is written on??  (Read 11144 times)

Offline paulnTopic starter

• Contributor
I have had a set of Lindstrom pliers for some time.  They were expensive at the time, but the lifetime warranty was appealing and suggested a later supply of spares, if needed would be available to buy.  Anyway the handles (plastic covers) have all started to break up, no problem I thought I will order new grips.  These grips also hold the leaf spring to provide tension.
An email the Lindstrom USA got no response - they say they do in fact provide a refurbishment option on their website.  A week later and email to Australia agent - cant help not a spare part, bugger off.  Copy of both to "contact me" option on main Lindstrom page - no response.
The pliers models are 7893, 7291, 7890, 7190 - can anyone advise where I might obtain new grips?  otherwise pliers are perfect.
Thanks
Paul
Cairns, Australia

I see these models are still current it latest catalogue!!!! :wtf:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:30:59 am by pauln »

Offline JohnnyGringo

• Regular Contributor
They were expensive at the time, but the lifetime warranty was appealing and suggested a later supply of spares, if needed would be available to buy.

Just FYI,
  in the US, The Uniform Commercial Code defines lifetime  warranty as:
Quote from: wiki link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warranty#Lifetime_warranty
A lifetime warranty is usually a guarantee on the lifetime of the product on the market rather than the lifetime of the consumer, although it can be defined in various ways. If a product has been discontinued and is no longer available, the warranty may last a limited period longer. For example:

the Cisco Limited Lifetime Warranty currently lasts for five years after the product has been discontinued.

HP Networking products lifetime warranties last for as long as you own the product.

I would think that every country has their own version of a Commercial Code.  Look it up and send email to Lindstrom USA citing chapter and verse.  That will surely get their attention.

"....the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which establishes warranty rules at the U.S. federal level, designates all written warranties as either "full" or "limited." A "full" lifetime warranty would be one that says a product will be repaired or replaced forever, no matter who owns it or how it was broken. There would be no limit on the number of repair attempts for a recurring problem. It would place no limitations on payments for incidental or consequential damages such as loss of use or travel expenses. It also would place no duration on any implied warranties of merchantability or the fitness of a product for a particular purpose."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:54:48 am by JohnnyGringo »
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
I'd try giving them a call, and see if that gets you anywhere. Worth a shot anyway.  ;)

Also, they may be repairable yourself if you don't get any joy from Lindstrom, so pics would really help get some ideas though (i.e. spot welding, epoxy, formable plastic, plastic dip).

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
no problem I thought I will order new grips

Did you maybe ask for the wrong thing?

Did you ask them for spares parts, instead of asking them to fulfill their warranty promise? Typically these warranties include that they decide what to do (replacement, repair, etc.). Your request for spares might have ended you up in the wrong internal process (spare supply), not in the warranty process.

Edit: These days some companies only seem to react if you make a public stink on Facebook or/and Twitter. It is a sad state of affairs, that they don't react to normals support channels. But if a company begs for a public stink they shall get one. So if a private request to fulfill their warranty goes unnoticed it might help to make a stink in public.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:44:34 am by Bored@Work »
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Gromitt

• Regular Contributor
An email the Lindstrom USA got no response ...

Lindström is not a US company, have you tried to comtact them here http://www.lindstromtools.com/contact.php

/stefan

Offline JohnnyGringo

• Regular Contributor
An email the Lindstrom USA got no response ...

Lindström is not a US company, have you tried to comtact them here http://www.lindstromtools.com/contact.php

/stefan
"The company behind Lindstrom: SNA Europe http://www.lindstromtools.com/company.php
NA Europe is the premier pan-European hand tool manufacturer, part of Snap-on Incorporated."

Snap-on is the premier tool manufacture (at least for aviation work), and has a premier warranty program. I'm surprised that you got such cheese from the vendor. Complain to corporate and the vendor will get a *nasty-gram* from Snap-On.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

• Contributor
I have had a set of Lindstrom pliers for some time.  They were expensive at the time, but the lifetime warranty was appealing and suggested a later supply of spares, if needed would be available to buy.  Anyway the handles (plastic covers) have all started to break up, no problem I thought I will order new grips.  These grips also hold the leaf spring to provide tension.
An email the Lindstrom USA got no response - they say they do in fact provide a refurbishment option on their website.  A week later and email to Australia agent - cant help not a spare part, bugger off.  Copy of both to "contact me" option on main Lindstrom page - no response.
The pliers models are 7893, 7291, 7890, 7190 - can anyone advise where I might obtain new grips?  otherwise pliers are perfect.
Thanks
Paul
Cairns, Australia

An update on this post.

Only a  single response from any Lindstrom entity - USA, Australia, Europe.

"Hello Paul,
Thank you for your inquiry.
Unfortunately we are unable to get the replacement handles for the pliers as they are not a registered spare part.
Best Regards,
Michael."

Well at least I got A response.  I guess given lifetime warranty, still current in latest catelogue and that as the leaf spring retention is an integral part of handle/grip assembly - you would expect to be able to buy parts?  The leaf springs being integral to the grip renders them unusable in this condition.  So much for lifetime warranty.  Caveat Emptor.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:43:18 pm by pauln »

alm

Warranty does not imply spare parts. Replacement is a perfectly valid warranty option, especially for products that are too cheap to be worth the labor of repair. Several reputable companies implement lifetime warranty as "we'll ship you a brand new replacement for any severely damaged tool you return". Their production process may not allow for replaceable handles, for example. Have you asked if you can send them in so they can repair or replace them?

• Contributor
Warranty does not imply spare parts. Replacement is a perfectly valid warranty option, especially for products that are too cheap to be worth the labor of repair. Several reputable companies implement lifetime warranty as "we'll ship you a brand new replacement for any severely damaged tool you return". Their production process may not allow for replaceable handles, for example. Have you asked if you can send them in so they can repair or replace them?

Yes I have asked that exact question - the USA site actually advertises this service - BUT despite 2 emails to them over a period of approx 1 month nothing heard.  That is why I also tried local and europe contacts.  I will also follow up with my local consumer protection agencies to see what "lifetime warranty" means and what options are available to me.

Thanks for your response.
Paul

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
pauln, could you post some pics of them?

Assuming worst case (you don't get any joy from Lindstrom), there might be a way to fix it yourself, such as using a moldable plastic (put it in hot water to soften it where it becomes similar to modeling clay, only permanent).

Might even be a better alternative than a swap if you can't get the grips replaced on your existing pair, as the steel doesn't seem to be as hard since they moved production to Spain.

Just a thought anyway.  :)

• Contributor
I read the warranty instructions on their website and they have some fairly specific directions on how to make a claim. Thus far in the thread I haven't seen a statement that they have been tried. I think some of this thread is getting a little ahead of itself.

If you don't want to send the pliers back to the factory (expensive from Australia), why not ask them if sending it to the local distributor will be sufficient.

It could be as simple as sending them the old pair and they will send you a new pair. I see no reason to think that won't happen with a reputable company that is offering to do that. Certainly not until you've tried it. The local distributor may only get a credit from the factory if they have followed the process and have your old pliers.

Thanks for your post.  The only response received was in fact from the Australian distributor, it is quoted in a previous post.  So far I have had no response from USA or Europe.  I am not looking for replacement pliers - just the plastic handle covers that also hold the leaf springs for tension.  I absolutely expect to pay for them as I would consider this component to be a wear and tear candidate.  As they are still current models I considered it not unreasonable that spares would be available.  I have been very clear and concise in my communications to Lindstrom, however, apart from the negative local response, nil heard from the others.  I am happy to follow their precise instructions when and if they respond. 

Offline Dawn

• Regular Contributor
This is endemic now in the tool industry. The major brands developed their reputation not only on quality, but their no questions warranties for life (OF THE TOOL). Period, no exclustions. If you abused it, found, bought it, or it was given to you. No receipt, just turn over the tool to a disributor and it was replaced. That was the standard warranty of major tool manufacturers and the main reason many professionals chose to pay the high prices for them.

Now we're in a designer culture where if you're a car mechanic, you're not considered professional unless you have all Snap-On. Electronics was like that too in the states when I got into the trade in the early 70's. All Xcellite was the mark of an electronics professional. No problem if you used the screwdriver as a chisel with a hammer and busted up the handle or bent a 90 degree turn on your needlednose pliers. You cutters got dull, you didn't bother sharpening them, they gave you a new one, same with your screwdrivers. There was no wear and tear clause. The latex dip on the handle erroding was enough for any major company to authorize a dealer to replace them.

Those "forever" clauses don't mean anything starting in the late 70's. Specific warranty statements for the "life of the product", ads that were placed in magazines showing a guy bringing in his dad's tools from the 30's to a sears for a replacement or speakers that were 30 years old being featured in an ad showing that the company has been around forever and stands behind a 30 year old product and their wormanship were common in magazines clearly showing they meant forever, not the production life or ownership started being eroded with wear and tear and normal use exceptions.

There's no reason to buy the best any longer unless it's for a specific reason. No matter who you buy from, they develop support amnesia after the production life and there is likely nobody working for the company that was part of the design or support team within a few years. Even parts retention for a period of years that was typically 7 is considered no longer feasable. It's a disposable manufacturing culture now. The most you can depend on is a replacement of similar features within the warranty period and be expected to pay shipping, handling, and even an evaluation fee that may rival the cost of a new product.

OTOH, while the big name tools are getting lower in quality, warranty support, and eventually outsourced to Asia, many of the bargain branded tools are getting exponentially better in hardness,fit, and finish at low prices. In the states, we have a discount, bargain tool company you've all heard of called Harbor Freight. I seen a pair of their yellow wire strippers next to a new Xcellite branded one a few weeks ago. Guess which had the better bluing, rivet setting and overall fit and finish for USD $2 ?

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
Life time product warranty = the product is broken therefore its reached end of service life, go away and don't bother us. :-DD

Offline JohnnyGringo

• Regular Contributor
Well, thanks to your postings, I've decided to bypass the Lindstrom tools in favor of a different brand.

Sorry, that you had trouble, but thanks for letting us all know of about the cheesy service.

Offline andtfoot

• Supporter
I'll be keeping an eye on any results. 8)
I've gone through a couple of sets of Lindstrom side cutters, and I never even knew there was a lifetime warranty...

Offline peter_mcc

• Contributor
I have been looking for springs for our 7191 cutters without any luck :-(

I found this statement on the Lindstrom website about the lifetime warranty (http://www.lindstromtools.com/faq.php):

1. All hand tools in the catalogue are offered with a lifetime warranty; a warranty against material and manufacturing defects for the normal lifetime of the tool in question. “Lifetime” is defined as the period of time a tool can be expected to last under normal use and conditions.

So the lifetime is "as long as they last"!

After a lot more searching tonight I found the springs for the Supreme series (7191 is in this group). The part number is PLR-8100. I have no idea about the handle covers... though we need some of them too. There are a few places selling them in the USA - I just got some from someone on Amazon.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
This all reminds when I was living in Asia, and spotted a pair of Sandvik (Swedish) heavy electrician's pliers in a tool bin at the local hardware. Great quality and rock-solid. 20+ years later, heavily used and abused... still like new (a bit tarnished).
And they cost the princely sum of $4 (I even asked the sales person 'is that correct??').  Fair game!
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

• Contributor
Thanks
Paul
Cairns, Australia

An update!!!!!!!!

Like a dog with a bone I didn't let go - to me there was a principle involved.

I am now in possession of 4 New sets of handles complete with new leaf springs attached.  I had to cut the old handle covers off, clean up the handles and use a little hot air to soften the new handles a little and they just slipped on easily.

This gentleman sorted it out for me, it took a while, but worth it.

Michael
Customer Care Manager
SNA Europe

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
I still don't get why you wanted to replace the handles yourself, instead of just getting the whole pliers replaced.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
I still don't get why you wanted to replace the handles yourself, instead of just getting the whole pliers replaced.
Perhaps the ones he had were Swedish, while the new ones are made in Spain.

There is a noticeable quality difference between the COO's IME.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf