Author Topic: USB Controller IC for Audio Interfaces  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Fantasma25Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
USB Controller IC for Audio Interfaces
« on: January 10, 2014, 06:46:05 pm »
Does anybody know what kind of USB controller IC audio interfaces use to handle their USB communication? I'm talking about audio interfaces such as the Focusrite Scarlett series or the Mbox series from Avid or the Presonus Audiobox. Some of this even include a MIDI interface. Is there a chip that can take care of both audio and MIDI communication over USB? Or is it made by software with a microcontroller?  :-//

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
Re: USB Controller IC for Audio Interfaces
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 05:17:18 am »
Does anybody know what kind of USB controller IC audio interfaces use to handle their USB communication? I'm talking about audio interfaces such as the Focusrite Scarlett series or the Mbox series from Avid or the Presonus Audiobox. Some of this even include a MIDI interface. Is there a chip that can take care of both audio and MIDI communication over USB? Or is it made by software with a microcontroller?  :-//

Some older designs used the TUSB3200A or the TAS1020B from Texas Instruments. Both are now EOL.

A bunch of DSPs support USB. Several ARMs support it, too. XMOS has a USB 2.0 Audio reference design which works and is used in several products.

-a

Offline aflex

• Contributor
    • PCB Manufacturing & Designing
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 10:21:48 am »
Bassman59 is right. TI are one of the quality providers of audio interfaces. Other than specified by him others are PCM2901/2903

Offline smoothtalker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 07:11:53 pm »
Saw a lot of TENOR TE7022. Not sure does that fit your application

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf