Author Topic: Looking for a good desoldering station - thinking of the SS-331B/H/E ie newZD985  (Read 734 times)

Offline AcecoolTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • -Acecool
I'm looking to buy an SS-331 series desoldering station. I was thinking of getting the Hakko gun for $250, but it is super big and bulky... and the review posted said the older variant of the cheap variant has a higher suction than the Hakko units.

I do understand the one big issue is Hakko will build up to that full force before opening the gates so the few ms it takes to get up to speed doesn't cause slower air / suction to cool the solder and the cheap units don't do this. I'm looking at buying a station, because this is easy to create a fix / hack. Just a simple vacuum chamber and pressure switch / cutoff. The pressure switch controls when the vacuum turn son, and the button is tied into a valve. this way there is immediate pressure at your disposal. Also, why I want a station - there is room to built it inside the unit.

The one issue I'm having is that I can't find the SS-331E variant anywhere. The E variant is 110v input. The B / H variants are 220-240.

At least, this is how it is listed on the documentation on AliExpress, Amazon, etc..

I am curious if this is accurate... A lot of power supplies take 100 to 240 input, and they are cheap to make. Worst case I could replace the power supply that comes in the unit with the appropriate one if it doesn't do it passively or have a manual switch - but this adds cost...

I'm looking at a lot that start at around $90 USD with shipping, all the way up to $120 USD. Then there are outliers which are $250+...

Does anyone have this unit and can tell me if it can be switched to 110, or not? I've watched reviews and they simply show the sticker which shows 240v... or a brief look inside which doesn't tell me a whole lot.

Thanks!
Just because it works, doesn't make it right -Josh 'Acecool' Moser

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf