Author Topic: Looking for an Eprom programmer to write on TMS2564  (Read 6945 times)

Offline nadonaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Looking for an Eprom programmer to write on TMS2564
« on: November 08, 2014, 03:44:41 am »
I am looking for an Eprom programmer to write on TMS2564
I used GQ-4X to write a bin file on TMS2564. Before I wrote I knew it does not support writing, but anyway I tried and all 6 chips failed.

I'd like to erase the chips and try again with different programmer. What programmer would you recommend under $100?

With Best Regards,
Ha-ha-ha. That's good, too!

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for an Eprom programmer to write on TMS2564
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 02:07:05 pm »
Had that problem 15 years ago with a 2532 vs 2732 programmer.
What I did then and I would recommend is building a small prototype conversion pcb with a dil socket (of zif if you have it) for the 2564 and wirewrapping headers for the layout of a 2764.
The difference between the 2564 and 2764 were, if I remember correctly, just some CS's vs /E pins that can be combined and a different pin for the /prg .
Just checkout the datasheets in detail and it will not be so much work to reroute the pins, if I remember correctly you won't need extra logic or other passive stuff.
Do make sure you pick the right 2764 in the software with correct Progr. voltage and timing.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 08:59:59 pm »
@Kjelt: Thank you for the suggestion.
I read that from Google search but I think it will not work on 2564 chip because:

1) the GQ-4x support reading but not writing for 2564. The writing is for testing purpose only whatever that means.
    One out of 6 trials I made has almost 100% perfect copy except  2nd byte. I think whoever programmed the firmware of this GQ-4X knew the pin lay out and had enough data but couldn't solve the problem.

2) 2764's Vpp is 5V & 21V while 2564 requires 25V. I didn't check it but 2532 adapter to 2732 worked because maybe both have same Vpp?

eBay has a $60 programmer which has 2564 in the device support list but it is from China so Iam not sure if I can invest money and wait days to try out the Chinese product. I don't want to be the first person :-DD

<Edit>
Searching the Internet search resulted in

"The programmer should have toroidal type of inductor because the 2532 and 2564 chip require strong and longer current."

Probably that is true. I will have to save my time and effort because GQ-4X has two small inductors inside.

I want to hear if anyone had successful experience with 2564.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:38:45 pm by nadona »

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 12:00:14 am »
Ok if Vpp is a problem You might want to add a p-fet and tun transistor for the gate of the fet, put Vpp of programmer to switch the transistor and p-fet and use 25V laboratory supply as source for fet and drain to Vpp of eprom socket.
If this is for a few eproms ( for instance refresh the charge in an old device) thats doable if you have to program hundreds not much so.
Also look at old eprom programmers from the 80s, they pop up now and then for a snap. Just make sure you have the software with it and still have an old pc that can hook it up.

Offline denelec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 04:09:53 pm »
I checked and my MiniPro TL866 doesn't list the TMS2564 in its database of supported IC.  :-//

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 04:45:53 pm »
This is exactly why I have kept my old Win95 computer and several older programmers. I have a lovely Hi-Lo programmer that can program chips that are no longer supported in new units. The problem is that the programmer manufacturers have effectively declared TMS25xx obsolete and dead so do not build the required support into their hardware. I cannot blame them really as TMS25xx series are almost prehistoric  ;D

I can program the chips for you with the ultra  reliable Hi-Lo universal programmer, or you can likely find someone more local to do so with an older programmer. The old STAG programmers sometime turn up on ebay. You could do worse than buy an old (and I mean old) programmer on ebay and rig it up to an old PC. Always useful to have in case of situations like yours.

Aurora
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 04:49:30 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 07:20:52 pm »
The Batronix I have can only read them so not what you need.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 02:20:33 am »
I bought this programmer which has TMS2564 on their supporting device list.

http://www.51c51.com/ENWEB/parts/top853.htm

Hope it will work without problem.

Offline stevendt

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 01:34:42 pm »
Hi, I realise that this is an old post, but hopefully, somebody has solved this problem.

I an trying (and failing) to program a couple of TMS2564 EPROMs. The TOP853 that I have has the TMS2564 in its supported device list, but it does not work. I can't program the EPROM and known good EPROMs read back as blank, so I am thinking that the TOP853 device list is wrong.

I see that TOP3000s and TOP3100s include the device in its supported device list. I would quite happily splash out for a new programmer if it was sure to work, but based on past experience, I am a bit reluctant.

Has anyone used a TOP3000/3100 to program a 2564?
(Or, indeed, any other modern device programmer?)

Also, the actual chip that I am reading(but not the ones that I am trying to write) is labelled TMS25P64. I have not been able to find anything about them on the web. Does anyone know anything about these devices? Perhaps they have some weird page mode that that "normal" 2564s don't?

Any help would be much appreciated!
regards
Dave

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 03:42:50 pm »
Were there not different Vpp's for this chip depending on the manufacturer?
Check your programmer for max. Vpp is it 25V or 21V or only 12V and check with the datasheet of your eprom manufacturer what the Vpp should be.

If there is a mismatch you could use an external powersupply and a P-fet to program the device ofcourse bent carefully the leg of the Vpp outside the programmers socket or better make a small adapter from protoboard.

Offline stevendt

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 04:43:38 pm »
Hi,

thanks for the reply. I don' t think the issue is one  of voltage, I can't even read the contents of the EPROM, that should just be 5V

regards
Dave

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf