Author Topic: Mantis Elite-Cam HD Baseplate - Cautionary Tale  (Read 1152 times)

Offline sdscottoTopic starter

• Contributor
Mantis Elite-Cam HD Baseplate - Cautionary Tale
« on: October 13, 2023, 07:24:10 pm »
I was able to purchase a Mantis brand new a couple of years ago.  It does not get used too often so it sits where I first mounted it a couple of years ago.

This afternoon when I came to my bench it was laying on it's side, on top of my soldering stations.  Broke the holder on both, but luckily it wasn't on the concrete floor.

Part of the base plate was still clamped to the table, the rest was still attached to the Mantis arm.

Nicely built arm made of aluminum, nicely built metal clamp, and thin plastic base.  I have an e-mail in to Vision to see of there is a heavy duty base, because a replacement plastic part is $65.  If they don't, I'm going to machine my own from aluminum.

Only posting so others can check for cracking in that plastic base before potentially losing your investment.  It took me three years of saving and I'm lucky it isn't in pieces.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Mantis Elite-Cam HD Baseplate - Cautionary Tale
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 09:25:05 pm »
Cheap plastic indeed.

You can also bolt it to the desk right, but you don't want to drill through your desk I guess?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 11:44:08 am »
Nasty, good to hear it survived.  My base plate is screwed to the bench, but I'll pop it off to check it anyway.

My biggest pain is that the power switch sometimes pops out, so I have to pop it back in.  Might put a switch on the cable instead at some point.

Offline sdscottoTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 09:30:04 pm »
Update: The folks at Vision Engineering are great! 

They responded to small time me and we discussed my situation.  They have not received a report of this happening before, and I believe them to be sincere.  They are sending me a new base which I will use until I make my own.

scotto

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf